• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy Bridge Information (in english!)

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,592
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1

Look like FSB overclocking will be an issue, in a way. Depending on how much wiggle Intel gives with the non k chips, moderate overclocks (those looking for a slight non vcore increasing boost) might be fine, in fact combined with turbo boost might not even be necessary. But for anything else, it will have to be K-series chips.

Performance is better per core while being more energy efficient.

Q1 2011 for lga 1155 parts.
 
Looks like I won't be upgrading for quite some time unless something changes with fsb/bclk or whatever they are going to call it now.

Stock now is 133 on an i7.. and they are lowering it to 100... why???
 
Looks like I won't be upgrading for quite some time unless something changes with fsb/bclk or whatever they are going to call it now.

Stock now is 133 on an i7.. and they are lowering it to 100... why???
They are lowering BLCK speed to 100MHz in order to match it with SATA/RAID/USB/PCI-E/RAM controllers' speed. By doing that, they will be able to use only one clock generator on the motherbord. Unfortunately, overclocking through BLCK will be extremely limited, because the other controllers stop operating at about ~105 - 110Mhz. Looks like "K" chips will become a necessity if you are willing to overclock.
 
Aka closing the "loophole" that overclockers use to bypass CPU multiplier locks, aka making you buy highly marked up K units or higher clock CPU's to get that higher speed performance.
 
wasnt it somerthing a lot like this (aside from the un-overclockability of the higher speed p3's) that pushed us all over to amd in the early century?
 
wasnt this announced a good while ago from a mobo manufacturer ?
 
hmm. My 2 year old i7 main desktop will still be fine, but I was considering building a home server at the end of the year. Now the question is should I hold off a few extra months and get a low end sandy bridge..? The i3 2100T looks very interesting for this purpose with only 35W TDP.
 
I hate to say it, but after reading the article, the real news is the graphics. Intel just eliminated low-end discrete graphics, and won over the entire HTPC market for the foreseeable future.

As for overclocking, meh, most of the people who are going to buy these chips don't want or need overclocking. Good (or at least mediocre) graphics (for free (sorta)) will overpower that because graphics are something Grandma can see. In the meantime, Bulldozer has just been granted an amazing opportunity, because if Bulldozer can overclock, people who would have bought LGA 1155 for overclocking will buy AM3+ instead. Don't fark this up, AMD. Here's your big chance.
 
Last edited:
I hate to say it, but after reading the article, the real news is the graphics. Intel just eliminated low-end discrete graphics, and won over the entire HTPC market for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't go that far. AMD still will be introducing their CPU w/ 480 SP that far out pace the GPU core on Sandy Bridge. If AMD wants the low end discrete graphics area to keep going we'll probably see them push the performance of that area by a few factors, since their APU unit would render that area useless. Even the "2 core" GPU Sandy Bridge will be left behind.
 
Great article! However, I still need to know if the 1155 platform will eventually get 6 core CPUs before I invest.
 
I wouldn't go that far. AMD still will be introducing their CPU w/ 480 SP that far out pace the GPU core on Sandy Bridge. If AMD wants the low end discrete graphics area to keep going we'll probably see them push the performance of that area by a few factors, since their APU unit would render that area useless. Even the "2 core" GPU Sandy Bridge will be left behind.

True (and that may have some good trickle-up effects on high-end pricing and/or features). What I meant though is that in my parent's next computer (and likely mine, unless I can justify a gaming computer), there is no need for discrete graphics (and the battery life/power requirements thereof). Nvidia and ATI just lost Grandma (and pretty much anyone who doesn't game)
 
Great article! However, I still need to know if the 1155 platform will eventually get 6 core CPUs before I invest.
I'd say no, because SB CPUs support dual channel memory only, which does not provide enough bandwidth for 6 cores. That's why LGA1366 has triple-channel memory controller, meanwhile LGA2011 will get quad-channel memory controller to fully utilize upcoming 8 core SBs.
 
Last edited:
SB will be released with 6 and 8 cores in late 2011, socket 2011 ironically enough not socket 1155, with quad channel ddr3. Look at the sandy bridge article on wikipedia (hardforum eats the link for some reason) for more info on socket 2011.
 
Back
Top