• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sandy Bridge in the long-term?

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Sep 27, 2000
Messages
4,135
I'm wondering if it would make sense right now to built a SB 2600K based system if I planned on using it for the next 3 years? Or is that asking too much considering how long it's been out already?
 
Depends on what you are using it for, but considering how long the first generation Core CPUs have lasted, I'd say it's a good bet they'll be fine.
 
You should be fine with a 2600k for three years. Up until a few weeks ago one of my main rigs used a 920 since the release (I think its been three years) and I'm pretty sure that same rig would have lasted up until haswell.
 
Yeah I had a 920 and it upgraded to a 2500k. Not a huge performance increase, but I am pleased none the less since the resale of the 920, x58 motherboard and my memory will almost equal the upgrade cost. I mean like $50 in the end.

Westmere came out and was nothing special unless you needed six cores. I think Ivy bridge will be the same compared to sandy bridge. If it isn't your still good to go since Z68 is ivy bridge compatible.

What motivation does intel have not to sit back and push the efficiency envelope if AMD can't touch their performance.
 
I bought a 3930K 2011 chip because I do NOT plan on upgrading for 2 years at the absolutel minimum. Unless IVY-E is some how 50% faster but honestly there is NOTHING that I can throw at this chip to bog it down. NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING.
 
I bought a 3930K 2011 chip because I do NOT plan on upgrading for 2 years at the absolutel minimum. Unless IVY-E is some how 50% faster but honestly there is NOTHING that I can throw at this chip to bog it down. NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING.

I'm going from E3400 to i5-2500K for reasons that have nothing to do with a need for more *horsepower* - the Q6600 I'm pushing won't be staying (it's for Mom, not me - if anything, she needs the horsepower jump more than I do, given that she has a P4 Prescott currently). In my case, the issue has *everything* to do with the falling cost of DDR3 - especially high-capacity (4GB) DDR3 memory modules, and the given that Z68 (the LGA1155 chipset of choice) has a higher DDR3 module capacity than any LGA775 ATX chipset currently out there (every LGA775 motherboard out that I've been seeing has, at most, two DDR3 slots - while DDR3 is cheap, starving a system of RAM is still a bad idea, especially when one of your applications of choice is virtualization). Because of that capacity advantage combined with the price advantage of DDR3, it basically became *why not*, as opposed to *why*. (MicroCenter's i5-K bundles simply drove the point home with a jackhammer.)
 
An unlocked K model should easily last 3 years for gaming and many other uses.
 
OK, thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure. I'm currently on a Q6600 and after almost 4 years it's finally starting to show it's age, so I'm hoping for the same kind of longevity from the 2600K.

Nowadays I use my PC mostly for work, but I do play the occasional game every now and then, mostly "last year's" titles when they go on sale on Steam. Sadly, the fun times of the "update to the bleeding edge every six months" cycle is just not for me anymore, I no longer have the time to rebuild, reinstall and reconfigure my system that frequently anymore.

So a solid long-term core system that can handle a couple video card/RAM updates along the way is what I'm looking for and from the comments so far, it looks like the 2600K will be a fine replacement for the Q6600.
 
I upgraded from a Q6600 to a 2500K a few months back and am very happy with the performance improvement!
 
I upgraded from THIS to a sandy-e. It's a personal decision since some people (like me) will fight tooth-and-nail to sqeeze out every last drop of use out of a build before conceding defeat and upgrading :)
 
Still rocking my 920 D0 at 4ghz. As I am primarily a gamer, I see no need to upgrade at this time, I think I'll be waiting for Haswell.
 
My q6600 last for 4 years. I could probably still use it if I really wanted to wait to upgrade. The cpu was the last of my concerns I don't see why the Sandybridge would be any different...
 
i'm still on a Q6600 :(
planning on building a beastly rig once kepler and ivy bridge show up - just cause i want the competition out there to lower prices and to give me more options
 
Just bought a 2500k from microcenter for 159.99 so unless something great comes along I think I am good for at least 2 years. I don't see Ivy beating the 2500k for that price point....
 
Yea, a 2600k and 16gb of ram will easily last you 3 years.
I too mainly upgraded for ram. Ddr2 is 2x as much as ddr3 and didn't make much sense to upgrade an already 3 year old setup.


Like others, I rocked q6600 and 4gb of ddr2 till this Xmas. (scored 16gb of gskill ddr3 for $60 shipped during Black Friday)

Glad I made the upgrade. I'll be able to render Audi and video faster.
 
Yea, a 2600k and 16gb of ram will easily last you 3 years.
I too mainly upgraded for ram. Ddr2 is 2x as much as ddr3 and didn't make much sense to upgrade an already 3 year old setup.


Like others, I rocked q6600 and 4gb of ddr2 till this Xmas. (scored 16gb of gskill ddr3 for $60 shipped during Black Friday)

Glad I made the upgrade. I'll be able to render Audi and video faster.

Yep I've got 16gb now and will be upgrading to 32 when the 8gb sticks are 50 or less. Right now they are much more
 
Back
Top