Sandy Bridge-EP drops

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Saw the article on Engadget, confirmed on Wikipedia (and a forum search) that this wasn't old news, and then proceeded to Newegg to drool.

As much as I'd like to get a CPU with 8 cores, they're going to need a lower price point to convince me. Especially when you add in the cost of switching to a LGA2011 build. My current CPU would probably run rings around their cheapest 8-core CPU due to the clock speed deficit, and it's still the same price as a 6-core extreme edition. No, I'll have to wait until this trickles down to the mainstream and enthusiast lineups.

Still, if anyone here is [H] enough and has the cash, SB-E's full potential is finally at their disposal.

with the outrageous prices, locked multi and bclk, and 150w tdp, ill say meh at best

I have too agree.the locked multi just doesn't make me happy.Gone are the days when you could overclock any chip.

Haven't Intel's server parts been locked for as long as they've been a separate SKU?

Haven't Intel's server parts been locked for as long as they've been a separate SKU?

^^ This!
C'mon kids.... It's been freaking ages since you could unlock "any and every" Intel CPU... As for the prices; DOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! 8-core Xeons!!!!:rolleyes:

^^ This!
C'mon kids.... It's been freaking ages since you could unlock "any and every" Intel CPU... As for the prices; DOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! 8-core Xeons!!!!:rolleyes:

If you placed 1366 Xeon chips in most non-server boards and boards like the SR-2, you can overclock them via BCLK.

These new chips cannot be overclocked by BCLK or multiplier, nor can it be overclocked using the bootstrap multiplier used to overclock the i7 3820.

It's been ages, yes, that you could unlock any and every. But this is the first time you cannot overclock at all.

Back