Sandy Bridge: Buy Intentions Poll

Watcha gonna do about Sandy Bridge, and why?


  • Total voters
    74

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x7
Staff member
2FA
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
6,881
Post your rationale in this public poll. Multiple options are okay and encouraged. Public means that others can see how you voted.

Please explain your answers. Inquiring minds want to know. And so do I. ;)
 
I'd vote but there is no poll :p
 
Not building until summer anyways, so I may as well wait and see how Bulldozer turns out. No I don't feel like waiting for LGA 2011 because odds are it will be out of my price range anyways.
 
I really wanna see what AMD has up their sleeve. I mean I have 2 hex cores so I have no need to buy and Sandies...unless there is somethin I don't know about them. They are dirt cheap right?
 
Im going to be waiting for Ivy Bridge.

IMO if you have x58 or 5520 based systems its not worth the money to upgrade.
 
Things will only really get dirt cheap if AMD can be competitive with bulldozer. Otherwise Intel will continue to take large profits on the fast chips we need for bigadv folding.
 
wheres the "I am out of money and am tired of eating ramen noodles every night" option??
 
I'm waiting until:
a) LGA2011 is released.
b) I can actually afford to upgrade.
 
it does looks very promising,and relatively speaking cheap compared to top level i7.
Was a bit surprised mb´s was also relatively speaking affordable,still eager to see what amd comes up with.
 
I like the looks of 2600K system. I may get one after they are out for a little while to play with, and probably give it to my parents for my first borg. I just don't see socket 1155 fitting into my farm at this point.
 
Hope the italics win....

oops, wrong poll :p

IMHO, Sandy Bridge is a very good option for a new boxen but personnally, I have zero budget to upgrade and I already upgraded my HTPC to a i3/GTX 460 very recently (it's a forced upgrade because the old parts died).
 
I'm looking at a 2600 to replace my x6.

Then in a year or so we can talk about 2011 socket for new boxen.
 
I'm buying a 2600k - I don't think there is a better value (PPD/ $) folding set-up at the moment [by a long shot], also the running cost look very good as well.

Will this change the top 20? I don't think so (Bulldozer and later Sandy bridges will take care of that). But I think this will change the landscape of the top100 in the coming months without a doubt - I reckon the team will get a nice boost! (10x 2600k's = 500,000 PPD)

Edit: I've ordered :D
 
Last edited:
Got to wait until March at least to see what my bonus is like....Maybe I'll pick one up then
 
I think I'm going to wait until I learn more about the chip, and the PPD to power ratio. I'm still not fond of Intel caving into the other big media corporations concerning the realm of DRM and such, but if I use it exlusively for folding it shouldn't matter too much.

I was contemplating a trip to DC this weekend just so I could hit Microcenter on Sunday for a 2600K and motherboard, but this weather just isn't going to cooperate. Besides, I'd probably want to sell of some of my other hardware before I started pressing my luck buying more components... :D
 
I want to see what AMD brings to the table. If Bulldozer is powerful, yet inexpensive, I may go that route.

If it's just another Phenom II, then I'll probably get myself a 2600k.

Either way, I've got a massive upgrade ahead of me.
 
wheres the "I am out of money and am tired of eating ramen noodles every night" option??

I just had that for breakfast this morning. I stocked up a few months ago when Costco got a shipment of spicy korean ramen noodles in.

You guys pretty much know how I voted. I'm like the biggest self hating AMD fan here because i'm running Intel chips in my two folding rigs. Also once you go hex, you never go quad. Yeah I know that the 2600K can come close when you overclock its brains out, but you guys also know that I am not a big overclocker.
 
i dont know why you would pick 2500k. its not like you can do big adv with them.
 
I voted for waiting for AMD to come out with their new designs and once you go hex you never go quad. I've got a quad right now, why continue to go quad? I wanna actually purchase something that has more cores as well. So that means either new AMD or whenever Intel decides a hex core <400 is a good idea.
 
I chose the "SR-2 Hexy Beasts" and "Once you go Hex you never go Quad!" options. I did a ton of upgrading in 2010 so I plan for 2011 to be fairly quiet. I would consider SB in a new laptop, though.
 
A SB laptop that puts out 25k ppd would be a easy to justify after holding out last year because I really don't need an upgrade.
 
Hard OCP is the bestest DC Team on the Internets!

I'm just sayin...



.



.



.


:p
 
My 2600K and ASUS motherboard just came in. Putting it together now. I hope I get at least 4.8ghz out of it!!

Fold On!
 
do you have bad intentions?

nudge nudge, wink wink?
 
Back
Top