Sandy Bridge & 6-core processor

The only available processors for LGA2011 will be Xeons with a huge price premium. As far as I know there will be a LGA1356 socket (Socket B2), that supports hexacores in up to two-socket systems. And of course it will be incompatible to Bloomfield/Gulftown processors.

The only available processors for LGA2011 will be Xeons with a huge price premium. As far as I know there will be a LGA1356 socket (Socket B2), that supports hexacores in up to two-socket systems. And of course it will be incompatible to Bloomfield/Gulftown processors.
You've been badly misinformed.

Good job not even reading the thread and posting year old rumors.

It should be lower than current hex-cores as the SB octo-cores will replace that segment. How much cheaper? That depends if AMD brings anything to the table with Bulldozer.

Some random thoughts from reading this thread

Doesn't the Intel socket normally refer to the pin count? If so, is the 2011 actual pin count, or has Intel rolled out a new marketing scheme based upon the year?

And for the AMD crowd, you'll be facing a new mobo as well as possibly needing ram depending on your current platform.

In the real world, currently, is it really worth the price point up front to be the early adopter, considering current software? Bragging rights never last longer than 6 months at any rate. It seems the only real reason to upgrade is if your system is getting long in the tooth. (yeah mine is starting to hit that point, but I still want to see the real world reviews before i pull the trigger)

Doesn't the Intel socket normally refer to the pin count? If so, is the 2011 actual pin count, or has Intel rolled out a new marketing scheme based upon the year?

Yes SB-EX will have 2011 pins. A lot of these are needed for 4 channel ram and IO.

It should be lower than current hex-cores as the SB octo-cores will replace that segment. How much cheaper? That depends if AMD brings anything to the table with Bulldozer.

That is my opinion. If AMD is competitive in performance with their 4 module 8 core / 8 thereaded bulldozer Intel will not be able to charge $1000 for their 6 core / 12 threaded CPU. That is not going to be easy for AMD to do. As I said earlier in this thread when 1155 SB goes on sale Intel will be 30 to 50% ahead of AMD clock for clock versus any chip that AMD has currently for sale.

Some random thoughts from reading this thread

And for the AMD crowd, you'll be facing a new mobo as well as possibly needing ram depending on your current platform.

In the real world, currently, is it really worth the price point up front to be the early adopter, considering current software? Bragging rights never last longer than 6 months at any rate. It seems the only real reason to upgrade is if your system is getting long in the tooth. (yeah mine is starting to hit that point, but I still want to see the real world reviews before i pull the trigger)
Its probably not worth the upgrade for people currently on Nehalem. It should be a pretty major upgrade for those of us still on 775 or am2, though. Im planning on being an early adopter. Im on a 2.1ghz quad kentsfield. Given the fact that sb is like 50% higher clock for clock, and 1.3ghz higher clocked, should double performance.

These new chips are impressive. Most impressive. Considering what we call aggressive pricing, the value is perhaps even more astonishing. The 2400 and 2500K are knocking on AMD's doorstep in the realm of "computing value", and the performance of these Sandy Bridge CPUs blow away the equivalent AMD chips. That will make things very interesting in the marketplace, that's for certain.

Call them evolutionary, call them revolutionary, but whatever you call these Sandy Bridge processors, be sure to call them fast. Damn fast.

Way to necropost a dead thread...figures it's someone who just registered.... :/
PLEASE watch the date of the post you're replying to, before posting !

Back