SanDisk Ready Cache for aging PC

jhwk6957

Limp Gawd
My parents are still running an ancient Dell XPS from 2004-05. A beast back when but it is struggling to cut in today's world. It has 2x1GB=2GB of DDR 800 memory (Max, not upgradable unfortunatly) a new 500GB 7200rpm WD blue HDD, A 3Ghz Pentium 4 (With hyperthreading), and an ATI 9800Pro graphics card (AGP). and 2 old 17inch TN panels. (One Dell and the other is an old Gateway monitor). A brand new copy of Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

The Problems: The Desktop works fine however when working in Excel and other memory intensive programs it really boggs down. Sometimes Windows explorer stops responding but then will become responsive again after a minute or so. This does not happen all the time but it just seems to be when in memory intensive applications and when there are several Chrome tabs open at the same time. etc.

My question is, what does everyone think of using SSD's as Caching drives? A memory upgrade would do wonders but Since I am limited by the mobo to 2GB total I am thinking about getting a product like the SanDisk Ready Cache to boost performance. Would an SSD Cache help mitigate some of these issues? A note: the desktop does support Sata1 (1.5GB/s) and IDE. The Hard drive is Sata.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171667

Last edited:
How much swap is being used when things slow down?

Can Windows 7 do ram compression?

Back