Sandisk MSPro Duo 8GB 29.95 (free shipping)

Nice price there, now doesn't Sandisk make Sony's branded memory sticks anyhow??

Sandisk sticks are generally a little faster for the same or less cash in my experience, and Sony has no real answer to their Ultra line -- some Sony sticks are almost as fast, but not quite. Specs might be higher, but in-practice numbers tend to be lower.

I went to buy some stuff from them a couple weeks ago and it takes FOREVER to get here... they are located in China and after a week they still had not shipped my order so I canceled.

Contact info:

TO: DealExtreme
Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Centre
21 Man Lok street
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Hong Kong

Wow, I think my way was cheaper.

8GB microSDHC card + microSD-to-MSProDuo adapter. Obviously not tested thoroughly, but my Sony GPS has no problems with it. And that's all that matters to me. :)

Wow, I think my way was cheaper.

8GB microSDHC card + microSD-to-MSProDuo adapter. Obviously not tested thoroughly, but my Sony GPS has no problems with it. And that's all that matters to me. :)

Fairly sure microSDHC are a good bit slower than a quality MSProDuo -- probably something on the order of the cheap fake 16GB card someone linked above.

I have had those all of the sudden not recognize half if not more of the card...weird stuff. I wait on deals like this and then buy a couple.

I've gotten one of those cards. You probably got a fake card. What they do is put in cheap 8gb of memory, put in a chip that will spoofs that stick as 16gb, and then sell it for $10 less than the real thing. Everything you copy over up till the memory runs out will work, but everything else is just a fake file. Even if you just use the 8gb part, since the thing is such craptasic quality, it will probably die in about 6 months.

I've gotten one of those cards. You probably got a fake card. What they do is put in cheap 8gb of memory, put in a chip that will spoofs that stick as 16gb, and then sell it for $10 less than the real thing. Everything you copy over up till the memory runs out will work, but everything else is just a fake file. Even if you just use the 8gb part, since the thing is such craptasic quality, it will probably die in about 6 months.

grr how is that even legal

Fairly sure microSDHC are a good bit slower than a quality MSProDuo -- probably something on the order of the cheap fake 16GB card someone linked above.
My Microcenter was a Class 6 and dirt cheap. I'll admit that I don't know the bandwidth of an authentic Memory Stick device, since I've never actually owned one.

I never buy memory like that off ebay either - I've never been burned and plan to keep it that way.

My Microcenter was a Class 6 and dirt cheap. I'll admit that I don't know the bandwidth of an authentic Memory Stick device, since I've never actually owned one.

A class 6 SDHC card (micro or whatever, size doesn't matter) generally runs ~6MB/s, sometimes a little higher. Your baseline Memory Stick Pro Duo reads at closer to 10MB/s and SanDisk's UltraII line at ~12MB/s. Considering you can buy an 8GB UltraII for ~$32 and the 8GB Class 6 MicroSDHC and adapter are going to cost you ~$25... it's not that there's a huge difference, but depending on your application it could be very much worthwhile. Write speeds show a similar gap.

For the PSP, where you're storing PS1 ISOs from the PSN store and similar, or media and emulators / other homebrew, read/write speed means faster load times and less hitching. For something like a GPS or most point and shoot cameras, read/write speed doesn't really matter that much. For high end DSLRs with high speed burst shooting modes, it matters more.

if they were really cheap they would put 4gb of memory lol

I have used those microSD adapter to Stick Pro Duo and it is not what I expected.

I various microSD and they all had bandwidth troubles.

The follow microSDHCs I used:
-Kingston microSD 4GB class 4, 8GB class 4
-Transcend microSD 8GB class 6
-Adata microSD 4GB Class 6

I used 4 different fake Kingston microSD to Stick Pro duo adapter and no matter what... the bandwidth would below 2MB/s. I dunno about you guys but I'm not feeling the microSD to Stick Pro Duo adapters after 4 crappy ones. And they were from Dealextreme.

Back