SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD $143.71 AR

Ive been running a sandisk extreme 240 for the past 3 years 24/7 and still going strong.

$143.71 after rebate. No thanks. Not even lukewarm. You have to jump through extra hoops to get that discount.

500GB Samsung 850 Evo's are going for $154.99 right now without rebates. You get 20 more Gigabytes of space for almost the same price.

Samsung Evo @Amazon $154.99/500GB= $0.31. 31 cents per gigabyte.
Sandisk Extreme Pro @Adorama $143.71/480GB= $0.30. 30 cents per gigabyte.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've never owned a single PC component for 10 years. I'd personally take a cheaper drive. Good price currently for this drive though.

The extreme pro has a 10 year warranty.

Doesn't make much difference at this price point and capacity. They won't have any stock of these to replace them with in 10 years, and the replacement will be their cheapest and slowest product at that time which will still be better because the tech will have advanced so far. I'd rather keep upgrading.

If this were an Enterprise class drive and costing over 2 grand then a 10 year warranty would start to make sense. Drop the warranty to 5 years and drop the price by yet another $10 to $20 (without rebate) and these drives start to be competitive.

Now those 960GB Extreme II's for $100 less than 1TB 850 Evos a while back was a helluva deal.

-edit- I see these are Extreme Pros, not Extreme II's. That makes the deal a little more palatable, but I would still avoid it since it requires a rebate.

$143.71 after rebate. No thanks. Not even lukewarm. You have to jump through extra hoops to get that discount.

500GB Samsung 850 Evo's are going for $154.99 right now without rebates. You get 20 more Gigabytes of space for almost the same price.

I thought I made it pretty clear it was AR? Figured it compares to the samsung pro more than the evo given the similar warranty.

EVO is not comparable to the Extreme Pro there man...show me the price of the sammy PRO and we can talk about pricing

220 for the 850 PRO
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...JeCYKHW-BByYQ2SsIFA&ei=Dk2FVszEHInwmQHvgp6wAg

So the Extreme Pro is a great deal

I don't see why comparing it to the 850 EVO is so bad, the EVO does edge it out in performance, has a significantly higher endurance rating but it does carry a 5 year warranty vs. a 10 year. Regardless both are proven to be good drives.

Its a good drive though. I have a 240gb in my server, with a 120gb 850 pro as my fall back.

I don't see why comparing it to the 850 EVO is so bad, the EVO does edge it out in performance, has a significantly higher endurance rating but it does carry a 5 year warranty vs. a 10 year. Regardless both are proven to be good drives.

Its a good drive though. I have a 240gb in my server, with a 120gb 850 pro as my fall back.

Pro has much better mix, steady performance, and latency which is what matters in heavy use. Hence,, it being a "pro" drive

Everything else things are neck and neck and already real fast. Those 3 points is where there is a lot of room to grow and where more expensive drives shine.

NVMe and XPoint and other tech are whats going to finally make those 3 categories trivial like max transfer speed.

Looks like SSDs have almost reached a price point to make HDDs irrelevant.

not for mass storage....Find me a 3TB SSD for 90 bucks and then we can talk. Still decade(s) away from that. Plus you can run into TBW issues depending on use case. (With 3D NAND or whatever TBW might be irrelevant now) Which would break first 3TB HDD or 3TB SSD with just burning the drive in...thinking HDD now would be the first to go with 3D NAND.

not for mass storage....Find me a 3TB SSD for 90 bucks and then we can talk. Still decade(s) away from that. Plus you can run into TBW issues depending on use case. (With 3D NAND or whatever TBW might be irrelevant now) Which would break first 3TB HDD or 3TB SSD with just burning the drive in...thinking HDD now would be the first to go with 3D NAND.

I meant for the general consumer. Data storage warehouses and such will be using HDDs and tape forever since read/write speed isn't nearly as important.

I meant for the general consumer. Data storage warehouses and such will be using HDDs and tape forever since read/write speed isn't nearly as important.

its possible that SSDs may out price HDDs in the future unless something major happens in HDD tech that keeps it significantly better than SSDs in capacity. SSDs by mere space are already larger than HDDs...its a matter of just producing them cheaper. 3D NAND and lower processes are already making them competitive.

I thought I made it pretty clear it was AR? Figured it compares to the samsung pro more than the evo given the similar warranty.

EVO is not comparable to the Extreme Pro there man...show me the price of the sammy PRO and we can talk about pricing

220 for the 850 PRO
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...JeCYKHW-BByYQ2SsIFA&ei=Dk2FVszEHInwmQHvgp6wAg

So the Extreme Pro is a great deal
Neither of you read my post directly before yours where I recanted the earlier post you are quoting and corrected myself stating these were Extreme Pros and not Extreme II's. Yes, the drive being a Pro makes the deal a helluva lot better. I still don't like it because a rebate is involved, some people might.

Neither of you read my post directly before yours where I recanted the earlier post you are quoting and corrected myself stating these were Extreme Pros and not Extreme II's. Yes, the drive being a Pro makes the deal a helluva lot better. I still don't like it because a rebate is involved, some people might.

lawl. My quote was your exact post so you edited after I responded so stop trying to back track. I read it before you edited -_- Look at time stamps rofl**********.

Also your warranty statement I think is false. They can't give you an inferior product as far as I can recall. That would be illegal. Also even if they gave their lowest end drive 9 years from now that'll probably be faster than the current top end SSD -_-

how fast was a 9 year old SSD?

EDIT: yea thats some shameless backtracking.....O reread the whole thread and editing is one thing but claiming you edited before my post is laughable and shameless

******Clarification post #7 was edited after my quote of post #4

Last edited:
Back