SanDisk 1GB USB thumb drive $50.96 AR

eigna said:
Do those Sandisk drives have a write protection switch on them?
It's a Cruzer Mini so yes it should have a write-protect switch. The Cruzer Micro's do not from what I understand.

CAUTION: That $30 rebate is apparently not valid yet!

TERMS
Purchase a SanDisk - 1 GB Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive from Dell between October 21, 2004 and October 27, 2004 to get a rebate of $30. To qualify for the $30 mail-in rebate, send the completed original rebate certificate along with your receipt showing purchase of a SanDisk Cruzer Mini (original or copy) and the original UPC bar code cut from your retail package. Limit one rebate per person and per household. All requests must be postmarked no later than November 27, 2004. Offer valid for US residents only. Please allow 8 weeks from postmark date for processing of your rebate. For detailed purchase terms and conditions please click on the "View Rebate" link below.

heh, it wouldnt surprise me one bit if Dell doesnt raise the $80 price by the time the $30 rebate becomes valid. :rolleyes:

it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

A few other questions. Is there a page with some more pictures of this drive from other angles? The Dell picture is a 256MB and only from the top. Also how sturdy is that top from coming off? Will it come off in my pocket and can it take pocket abuse? I've had a Lexar 256 Jumpdrive for a while and it's survived for more than a year. Only regret is the storage size is now too small for me and the no write protection.

I'm in cancellation hell right now with Dell trying to cancel my order only to re-order on the 21st.

Damn you, speed reading.

eigna said:
Do those Sandisk drives have a write protection switch on them?

No, unless they've changed the design in the past couple of weeks. None of mine (128MB, 512MB and 1GB) have write protect switches on them and I can't see any reason for them to add one.

animeguru said:
No, unless they've changed the design in the past couple of weeks. None of mine (128MB, 512MB and 1GB) have write protect switches on them and I can't see any reason for them to add one.

I'll second that. I have the exact model pictured in the ad (256mb one) and I can say that they definately do NOT have a write protection switch.

On a similar note, I'd like to say that Cruzer Mini's are some tough little drives. Mine has been through the wash twice, stepped on countless times, run over once, and frozen in a block of ice. After all incidences involving water, I gave it time to dry before use, but in all cases it never once showed any sign of distress outside of the fact that I've worn all noticable lettering off the outside of the drive. Though mine is only 256mb, I wouldn't trade it for anything. The only drawback to these mode would be the way they attach to your keychain or lanyard. In short, it's terrible and I just keep it in my pocket.

//No, none of the tourture this drive endured was intentional. I'm just not very good at keeping track of something so small.

eigna said:
... and can it take pocket abuse?
mwahaha. that sounds bad.
yeah, these things are pretty good about that in general. I stepped on mine and didn't break it.

mostly the cases for 128mb versions are the same as 256/512/1024 versions. ymmv.

Well, my 256MB Cruzer Mini does have a write-protect switch. As do those of my co-workers who have the same one.

That's weird, that some would have it and some not... :confused:

Malatov said:
Well, my 256MB Cruzer Mini does have a write-protect switch. As do those of my co-workers who have the same one.

That's weird, that some would have it and some not... :confused:

Weird indeed... I feel cheated :mad:

pat said:
Look at the link. Is the rebate still active from the 21st - 27th?
Heh, that's rich -- advertise a future rebate and then when the date approaches, pull the rebate form. :rolleyes:

I guess those who were thinking ahead and printed or downloaded the form will be laughing all the way to the bank. :)

I know dell sometimes has coupons for 15% off on software & peripherials. If I could get one of those would I be able to use it on this, and if so would that effect the rebate in any way?

i have 2 of the 256mb versions, the first one i bought did have the write protect switch, the second one didnt... so i would guess they got rid of the write protect. :/ awesome little drives though :D

Wait. That part is refurbished. Look at the URL, toward the end it says refurbished. What kind of warranty are they gonna give on a refurbished part?

Edit: I just spoke to Gary at Ext. 48560 and he assured me that the part is brand new, warrantied by Sandisk, and regardless of the picture, a 1GB memory stick.

I will be buying this for sure tomorrow.

Yeah. I almost sprung for a 512MB version for $35, but I really need a gig because each of my projects (Flash) is over 300MB.

dammit I just picked up the micro 256MB for $20 at work
oh well, time for another anyhow :)

any idea on if these light up blue like the micros?

Dell has the rebate linked up there. Look down and to the right of the description.

I just ordered it since its now 21st in entire continental USA.

BTW, there's FREE shipping as well right now. So its $80.86 shipped (you might have to do tax) and then the $30 rebate.

Thanks Steve for the heads up on this deal. $50 for a 1 gig flashdrive is HOT!

Just ordered one myself and it's still 80.96! Shipping is free too! I hope I don't break this one ;-) Thanks Steve!!

Sweet, I'm glad they put it back up, makes me a lot more confident.

I'll be buying one later on today.

I googled for a minute, but does anyone know if these are fast/slow/average speed drives or what?

Picked one up.

dam you hardforum I spend so much $ because of you!
$80.96 base unit
$ 0.00 shipping
$ 6.68 tax <-- friggin California
------------------------------------------------
$87.64 total for peeps in Cali (still not too bad a price pre MIR)

thx m8!

G[H]etto|Dalai|Lama said:
how does Steve get the credit here???? I'm the original poster!!! :confused:
Cause he linked it on front page, and without that I would never have seen it. But thanks to you too for posting it in the first place :)

As for speed, these should be decent. They are fairly recent USB 2 drives from sandisk.

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Sandisk_Cruzer_Mini_1GB.htm
This link has some speeds, dunno where they got it but looks decent to me.

Back