SandForce 2281 controller doesn't do AES-256 encryption

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
http://communities.intel.com/message/158716#158716
Confirmed by Intel (with corresponding refund on Intel 520 drives), SF2281 controller is physically incapable of higher key-length encryption. This is a controller limitation, all manufacturers/firmwares affected with a completely new respin required to remedy. If this feature was actually important to you, SandForce is not an option for the time being.

As if I need another reason to dislike SandForce :rolleyes:. To make matters worse, SandForce recently changed the product page for the SF-2281 to reflect that AES-256 is not currently supported but will be in a future revision. Google cache tells all ;). Considering it was an advertised feature I expect they'll have to do a full recall to give users and option to get a drive with functional AES-256.

As if I'd use blackbox encryption, anyway. Too many fuckups in the past. You just can't trust hardware makes to get encryption right.

Use a good software encryption and be done with it. This excludes Sandforce for speed reasons at the same time. Perfect.

Back