SAN Recommandations.

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
3,423
Looking for a SAN under 20k.
I am looking at Dell Equallogic and HP Lefthand. I know these tend to be over 20k. I saw Thecus N12000/N16000.

This is going to be for ESXi server cluster.
 
You can also get the EMC VNx and NetApp FAS2020 plus some disks for that price range. Just depends on what you want.
 
EMC VNXe is probably your best bet for the money.

VNXe is also going to be more flexible for a growing environment because you can setup your ESX deployment with NFS. Dell EQL doesnt support anything other than iSCSI.


Then as you need more bandwidth, you can setup LACP and trunk multiple 1gbe links together to get higher bandwidth for concurrent transfers and higher IO requirements.
Also as you need more space you can add more disks/larger disk and the space will be immediately realized on your ESX console....once you click refresh that is ;)
 
We have a Dell MD series, our FAS2020 is sitting in a box; more than what we needed. :(

I have a friend that picked up a VNXe series and has been enjoying it for the most part, cost is definitely in the right place. I also think you can mix/match disks on the same shelf if I'm not mistaken...
 
do not forget that a SAN could be a bad single point of failure. While you can easily move VM's in a SAN you have real problems if the SAN itself fails.

So buy two of them and use the second as backup/ failover system.
For the SAN-Server itself, I would also look at ZFS based ones. With service and support you can get such systems from Oracle or more open with hardware from Nexenta.

If hardware-support is enough you can use the free OS alternatives based on OpenSolaris.

Gea
 
I didn't even know you could get any SAN for 20K, yet alone a VNX.
My last EMC SAN purchase retailed for $1.6M, $525K actual. Just one DAE with FC/SAS disk is over $20K...
 
I didn't even know you could get any SAN for 20K, yet alone a VNX.
My last EMC SAN purchase retailed for $1.6M, $525K actual. Just one DAE with FC/SAS disk is over $20K...

VNXe starts under 10k
 
Back
Top