• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SAN Performance is killing me!

longblock454

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
2,906
Running www.iometer.org benchmark:

Parameters:

Max Disk Size = 1024000 Sectors
Access Specification = Default
Set the Results Display update frequency to ~ 2 seconds

Run the test, it takes a bit to generate the 512MB file. Running Win2003 Server, over Qlogic 2GBps Fiber Channel to XioTech Raid 10 40+ spindle SAN.

I get about 150 Total IO/sec at about 0.30MB/sec. SAN idle!

On a RAID 10 Netware Box, going to the same SAM, I get about 2700IO/sec at 5MB/sec over gigaE!

Anyone else with a fast array please bench and post your results from Windoze?

Any ideas on increasing performance? I've checked for errors/runts/grunts/etc through the Fiber channel fabric, no problems. SAN shows no errors....

Any chance Netware is caching? Or are the results really that much faster?
 
longblock454 said:
All other IOmeter parameters were unchanged from default. I only changed the ones listed.

Thanks



Try using 32 out standing IO's that should really increase the performance. Also you will need to change the transfer size. I think IOMeter starts with 2KB by default I would change it to 512KB. I am able to easily max out a 2gb fibre link with only a direct attached 12 drive box hell I can max out a 4gb fibre link with that. Should have no problem at all maxing out the fibre. Something is definently not right here.
 
draksia said:
Try using 32 out standing IO's that should really increase the performance. Also you will need to change the transfer size. I think IOMeter starts with 2KB by default I would change it to 512KB. I am able to easily max out a 2gb fibre link with only a direct attached 12 drive box hell I can max out a 4gb fibre link with that. Should have no problem at all maxing out the fibre. Something is definently not right here.

Yep, i can hit the ceiling if I make those changes. But i'm attempting to simulate OLTP (On-Line Transaction Processing), I believe that is what the Default Access Specification is simulating.

Root goal: Improve SQL performance on this box, currently its against the disk. Based on the origional IO/MB/sec results I believe there is more to be had, just can't find it.

Any suggestions?
 
Back
Top