• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

san/nas for home lab

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
231
I'm looking for a low cost but useable san/nas that I can use on my home lab. Will be used to practice on and study for my VCP exam.

Would like to run 3-4 Windows 7 machines, and maybe a 2008 server or two as well for AD, DHCP.

I thought about going with two HDD's in raid 0 for speed but now I'm thinking about using a SAN/NAS so I can easily add another host to further practice on.

Any suggestions on a setup that would hold a total of 6-7 VM's that's only going to be used by me at home?
 
Synology DS1511+ is spoken highly of but you'll end up dropping about $1,000 for one.

If you want to build something yourself, build a decent little box (dual core, 2GB of RAM, 2+ Gb PCI-E network cards, and several SATA drives) and load it up with FreeNAS 8.0 or any other Linux distro of your choice. This can be done for ~$400 depending on how many disks you buy.
 
If you're trying to keep costs down, just do as Child of Wonder suggested. This would be the cheapest/easiest solution.
 
For about $600 you can get a TS-239 Pro II+ loaded with drives That will also work.
 
I'll 2nd FreeNAS. Been using it for a while for a Lab NAS. Works Great.
 
I would build my own but if you don't want to go down that route then look no further than the Synology DS1511+. Blazing FAST! and packed with features!
 
Back
Top