San Francisco Municipal Railway Hacked

HardOCP News

[H] News
While there is nothing funny about this, I did notice that the San Francisco Examiner is comparing this hack to Watch Dogs 2. Honestly, I think the hackers in the game have better grammar than "You Hacked."

"You Hacked, ALL Data Encrypted." That was part of the message displayed on computer screens at Muni stations across San Francisco on Saturday in what appears to be a computer hack targeting The City. Along with the message, fare payment machines at Muni underground stations read, “OUT OF SERVICE” in red LED letters. The entire message read, “You Hacked, ALL Data Encrypted. Contact For Key([email protected])ID:681 ,Enter.”

Lol, wish I was still there to ride BART for free while they get their shit together

Hopefully they had everything backed up like they should've (I doubt it)

Perhaps it's too soon to think of a terminal solution before conducting an investigation.
McKayla-Maroney-Not-Impressed.jpg

Lol, wish I was still there to ride BART for free while they get their shit together

Hopefully they had everything backed up like they should've (I doubt it)
Doesn't effect BART just MUNI buses in SF proper.

They're asking for $72,000 which when you think about giving up a few days of payment processing that would probably be a loss for the city in just revenue. If I were the hackers I would have demanded like $5,000,000 and watched SF squirm. The city needs MUNI because of parking.

Apparently it's back up and running today.

Anyone else want to know what the fallout from this will be?

Probably some low level guy who had nothing to do with it will be fired. I wonder if it was even a hack, or just a Cryptolocker variant - which means no one actively penetrated the system, some IDIOT clicked on a bad link somewhere.

Back