SAN for Small Business Recomendations

wow

looks like nexenta did it homework :)

they had changed eula and I was confused with a new one

old one was here (URL gives 404)

http://www.nexenta.com/corp/eula-nexentastor-community-edition

and text from 2.9 (now changed)

2.9. Production Use.
The Product may only be used for development or evaluation purposes as described in this EUELA and may not be used in a production environment.

you can read cool thread here

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/220902-nexentastor-18tb-isn-t-free

thumbs up to nexenta!!

That simply says you can't use the trial edition, except for evaluation. The CE is entirely different. There is nothing in the EULA that prohibits you from using it commercially.

The clause you posted simply tells you the CE comes with limited RAW space, nothing more, nothing less (re CE).

just wanted to say thanks for all the great input on this thread. really pulled together alot of useful information

I agree with what you wrote, but the way you hedge against that is to simply buy the parts that can break as spares. This works especially well if you have multiple units from the same "non-enterprise" vendor.

I now have three JetStor 616iS, they all have dual controllers and dual power supplies. I have one spare controller on the shelf, one spare power supply, and 6 spare disks from the same batch that the original disks were from. Even with the spare gear it was still a lot less expensive than buying EQL gear.

If you look at some of the JetStor customers you see that even large organizations buy those units for their operations. Granted, we don't know in which storage tier they put them, but still, it's not some fly by night operation that won't be there tomorrow to service your gear should you need it.

By buying a JetStor you assume marginally more risk for a 50% cost savings. If you are willing to spend some of that savings on spare parts then the risk is just the same as if you were to buy an EQL/EMC/etc. unit.

Whether or not onsite support matters is up for debate. Obviously if something happens that you cannot fix then it matters but on the other hand for the price of an "enterprise" unit and the annual support costs for let's say 5 years (~$2k/yr for $10k total for support) you can easily buy two if not three JetStor units and replicate between them so that if one of those units goes down you don't sweat it.

I have had a 12 drive jetstor is is San for 3 years now and about to buy my second. Great product, price, and performance. It doesn't have all of the shiny bells and whistles of some of the more $$$ vendors but it provides me fast, reliable storage for cheap. I'm upgrading to the 16gb 10gb jetstor this summer. I use mine for my 4 host hyper v cluster running about 25 vms

Back