Samsung Working On Standalone Virtual Reality Headset

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The current sets aren’t the best option for someone like me who just wants to lay down and watch a movie without being tethered to my PC, so this has my attention.

Samsung’s plans for virtual reality go beyond the company’s current Gear VR headset: The company is working on a standalone virtual reality (VR) headset that will incorporate positional tracking similar to the technologies now available on higher-end headsets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, revealed the company’s head of R&D for software and services Injong Rhee during the company’s developer conference in San Francisco Wednesday. “We are working on wireless and dedicated VR devices, not necessarily working with our mobile phone,” Rhee said.

I don't like the being tethered part either. but at the same time, your example of why you don't like it doesn't match the technology to begin with. You aren't meant to be laying down for VR. you are suppose to be moving, it is tracking your body for a reason.

That said you will probably need more stuff in the headset to go fully wireless. But it shouldn't be that impossible.

I would be interested in this, but I'm certain that Samsung would stop all support for it when they release 30 variants of the headset the year after I bought it.

I don't understand why Samsung would bother doing this when they already have the Gear VR, unless they plan to do an independent-screen adjustable-IPD solution like the final versions of the Vive and Rift. It will require roughly the same hardware as a Gear VR + cell phone, for roughly the same price, but without the added functionality of a cell phone.

I would be interested in this, but I'm certain that Samsung would stop all support for it when they release 30 variants of the headset the year after I bought it.
This is what I'm worried about happening to Gear VR support once they start selling 2 different mobile VR headsets, especially if the new one doesn't run oculus/android software and runs a proprietary in-house OS instead.

Back