Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

Which displayport to hdmi adapter are you using? The Belkin in my work bag is only rated for 1080p.

Don't blame the TV, blame the MacBook's connectivity. (I say that with two on my desk)

Yeh. You make a solid point. If the Mac had HDMI 2.0, I imagine this would be fine.

The more I use this TV as a monitor (currently just running it at 1080p) the more I dislike it.

Really strenuous on my eyes and the glare is blinding. If I can sell it soon, I think I'll buy this instead: LG 34UM57 - 34" UltraWide 21:9 IPS (2560x1080) LED Gaming Monitor

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ok, got mine setup. running on HDMI 1 as "PC" with "UHD" on. Nvida CP 3840x2160 @60hz, 32bit color, 8bpc depth, rgb output, and full dynamic range.

text, webpages, ect look good. i tried a couple of 4k wallpapers and they look like garbage. almost like they are 720p images being upscaled. confirmed the files are 3840x2160. i haven't adjusted any picture settings on the tv so i need to go back through this thread and see what's what...

turns out the "4k" image i downloaded was technically 3840x2160 resolution but was only 2mb in size. downloaded a dozen more 4k images closer to 10mb in file size and they look FANTASTIC!

now to test out some games. my poor 980Ti (thought it would be a few more years before i ever said that)...

edit: what HDMI black level are you guys using? the 2015 Samsung setup guide sticky'd on the display page says to use "normal" to get the most accurate colors. when i set it to "low" or "auto" i get much darker blacks.

Watch this video on full screen. Be sure to select 4K quality.

Or this one:

I have Black Level on Auto since I'm on Game Mode so I think it's grayed out.

In terms of games, I had a lot of fun with the original Mirror's Edge and the bright color palette works well on the TV (and you can get good FPS from a 970). DmC (Devil May Cry) also can be maxed 60fps on a 970.

Watch this video on full screen. Be sure to select 4K quality.

Or this one:

I have Black Level on Auto since I'm on Game Mode so I think it's grayed out.

In terms of games, I had a lot of fun with the original Mirror's Edge and the bright color palette works well on the TV (and you can get good FPS from a 970). DmC (Devil May Cry) also can be maxed 60fps on a 970.

watched the Costa Rica vid earlier. it was AMAZING!

i set my black level on low (which is the same as auto). in normal mode everything displayed on the screen looks like it has a grey filter covering it.

Arkaham City and Deus Ex Human Revolutions (old, i know) both look awesome and peg 60fps. i noticed a little input lag running in PC mode (haven't tried game), but it honestly wasn't bad at all. gonna try GTA V and Witcher 3 now....

If you want to use Game Mode, I think setting color in Windows to 4:2:2 will allow you to select the option (doesn't work with 4:4:4 at the same time).

It's 19ms of latency with Game Mode enabled or 36ms without it, so try it out to see what works better for you.

Last edited:
GTA V looks amazing! keep in mind i've been gaming for over 3 years on a Shimian Achieva 27" 2560x1440 IPS so i'm not coming from a garbage 720p screen or something. the difference is very noticeable (in a very good way). my initial impressions just playing around in Windows and surfing the net were not that great compared to my other screen. however, playing games (which is what i bought this for) makes all the difference.

i ran the GTA V in-game benchmark with all settings on/maxed and no AA. i bottomed out at 32fps (mostly in the jet sequence), maxed out at 59fps, and probably averaged 45-50fps. i don't understand why 99% of game and gpu reviews ALWAYS crank AA to max and then report that the games couldn't keep 30fps and were practically "unplayable". one of the biggest advantages of a 4k screen for gaming is the resolution makes AA unneeded in most games. even in games that have really bad aliasing, i would gladly trade a few "jaggies" for a 20fps bump...

Yeah AA is overrated, especially at high resolutions. Traditionally I've always played with AA off as the performance boost is pretty significant.

I still rarely enable MSAA, but I will use some of the newer post-process AA techniques (which have respectable quality at minimal performance cost).

I too came from a 27" 1440P monitor. I was curious to try 4K but I kind of expected it to just be slightly better. It's actually a massive improvement in the look of the game (with an equal, but opposite, hit to performance).

Glad to find another satisfied customer. This TV has got to be one of the best buys out there right now (especially for the lucky ones on the $379 ebay deal).

Last edited:
I was able to test some Ultra HD HDR content last night (Exodus and Life of Pi trailers). It looked good, sure, but it didn't exactly blow me away.

Don't get me wrong, it was probably some of the best picture quality I've seen in my house, with various monitors, TVs, and projectors I've owned over the years. But it certainly didn't come close to a real 10-bit color panel like the LG OLED.

Not that I was expecting all that much knowing the specs and the price tag on the Samsung. I think the HDR was doing something, but I can understand now there is a limit on how good it can look without actually having the full HDR features.

If you're wondering, it seems if you download HDR videos and put them on a USB stick, the TV can play them. The videos I got here: HDRSamples

Don't get me wrong, it was probably some of the best picture quality I've seen in my house, with various monitors, TVs, and projectors I've owned over the years. But it certainly didn't come close to a real 10-bit color panel like the LG OLED.

That's what I was referring to in our earlier comments. HDR will look very good on this TV, but not as great it could where it to have proper HDR (= %90+ DCI-P3 gamut coverate, 10 bit panel or at least a quantum dot backlight, 1000+ nits). That's why I'm waiting to buy next year!

Last edited:
I mean, the TV still looks great, and you get a lot for your money. But, in a perfect world, I would have preferred a full HDR version. I guess we'll see what happens next year.

Just picked up this tv today to test while I have 2 GTX 1080 available for the week in the sli. What the hell is with the text on this? I can read the text fine on the desktop but in Chrome it looks horrible and even as I type on here it looks horrible. It looks fine with the windows scaling turned up that that defeats the purpose of 4k.

I use 200% scaling, which fixes text in most apps (provided they support Windows scaling). If you don't want to use scaling, or are using apps with thin pixel fonts, you'll need to enable 4:4:4 color in the Nvidia control panel. To enable this mode, first you'll have change the input label in the TV source to PC. So use the remote to hover over the input source, and press Up to select Edit and then choose PC. This will disable Game Mode. You may also have to enable UHD color in the Expert Picture Settings. Then, on your computer (Nvidia control panel) go to Display -> Change Resolution and scroll down to Output color format and select YCbCr444 then hit Apply or OK. This should fix the text. If the TV loses signal or the colors become strange, try unplugging the HDMI cable on the TV and plugging in back in. You should use HDMI 1. Hope that helps.

I use 200% scaling, which fixes text in most apps (provided they support Windows scaling). If you don't want to use scaling, or are using apps with thin pixel fonts, you'll need to enable 4:4:4 color in the Nvidia control panel. To enable this mode, first you'll have change the input label in the TV source to PC. So use the remote to hover over the input source, and press Up to select Edit and then choose PC. This will disable Game Mode. You may also have to enable UHD color in the Expert Picture Settings. Then, on your computer (Nvidia control panel) go to Display -> Change Resolution and scroll down to Output color format and select YCbCr444 then hit Apply or OK. This should fix the text. If the TV loses signal or the colors become strange, try unplugging the HDMI cable on the TV and plugging in back in. You should use HDMI 1. Hope that helps.

Yeah I did all that. I had to right click on chrome and check Disable display scaling on high dpi settings and it made it not blurry anymore. Edge and firefox were not blurry. I notice some sort of burn in almost if I drag a white window over the back of this forum. It takes like a second to disappear.

Yes, there is trailing between high contrast colors (typically when going from black to white). This is normal. It's discussed earlier in this thread.

I ended up getting the ue43"ku 6500 which seems to be the same model but bigger and curved. The only thing i don't like are the reflections/the glossyness. If i don't control the lighting in the room accordingly, it seems to give me somewhat of a headache when i'm doing productivity things.

Otherwise i'm quite happy with it, I'll most likely keep it as I'm not aware of a better choice that's less glossy while providing the same picture quality, and there's no going back to <4k now ;)
Gaming on it feels amazing. I don't notice the input lag even in pc mode(though i'm not a competitive fps gamer). I don't notice ghosting either, and had no dead pixels. There's a bit more light on the top left corner than elsewhere, but nothing dramatic.

Awesome. Mine actually has one stuck pixel, right in the middle too. It's red.

It took me about a week to even notice it. The pixels are so small, and you only can really see it on a total black screen. Not a big deal.

Maybe I'll try one of those pixel fixer apps, though they've never worked for me in the past.

The more I use this display the more I like it. Might need to buy another GTX1080 and keep it. Need to get more seat time playing bf4 to see if im noticing the input lag or not. Planned on returning it when I sent back my replacement 1080 but might need to keep it. I will try and post up some pics tomorrow.

For those wondering EVGA sent me another GTX 1080 because my logo was upside down on mine. They gave me 14 days to postmark it back to them so I am trying out SLI and 4k.

Yeah, I hear you. I kind of bought the TV on an impulse, just cause I wanted to mess around with 4K. Had an extra computer I wasn't really using and figured it would be a fun experiment.

Fast forward a few weeks: ended up getting a Titan X to replace the 970 that was here, and I barely even use my "super computer" (sig rig) anymore.

Just picked up this tv today to test while I have 2 GTX 1080 available for the week in the sli. What the hell is with the text on this? I can read the text fine on the desktop but in Chrome it looks horrible and even as I type on here it looks horrible. It looks fine with the windows scaling turned up that that defeats the purpose of 4k.

i've had similar issues using Chrome. i even downloaded different "themes" and an app to make the chrome background black with white text (like this site is by default).

bottom line, this TV is FANTASTIC for 4k gaming and watching TV/Movies (especially considering i paid $379. for desktop tasks and general web browsing i don't like it. the real estate is great, but the trade off in sharpness and clarity that my IPS has is not worth it. i'm still very happy with my purchase as it was for 90% gaming to begin with.

I've been lurking the last three or four days trying to find a way to get 4:4:4 chroma without success. I bought a un40ku6300 from best buy for $440 after a month of research. Was wondering if there's anyone still having problem with getting 4:4:4.

Below is my setup thanks to 3 days of research:
Amazon basic apple certified 0.9 m HDMI (I've heard the shorter the cable the better chance of getting 4:4:4).
Radeon RX 460 2GB(some threads mentioned RX380 unable to obtain 4:4:4)
TV set to PC mode
HDMI UHD Color set to 'On'
Set to 'RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)' in Radeon Graphics Setting (I've heard some people having trouble getting the drop down option to select 4:4:4. I had no trouble in the first place).
Current color depth in amd radeon setting: 8bpc
Tested for 4:4:4 using the image from avsforum (the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog) without success (bottom 2 lines not as clear).
Set to 100% in PC display setting.
Use HDMI1

I plan to use this PC as a workstation for autocad and productivity so 4:4:4 clear text is very important. Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: RX 460, not RX 360

Last edited:
I've been lurking the last three or four days trying to find a way to get 4:4:4 chroma without success. I bought a un40ku6300 from best buy for $440 after a month of research. Was wondering if there's anyone still having problem with getting 4:4:4.

Below is my setup thanks to 3 days of research:
Amazon basic apple certified 0.9 m HDMI (I've heard the shorter the cable the better chance of getting 4:4:4).
Raden RX 360 (some threads mentioned RX380 unable to obtain 4:4:4)
TV set to PC mode
Set to 'RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)' in Radeon Graphics Setting (I've heard some people having trouble getting the drop down option to select 4:4:4. I had no trouble in the first place).
Current color depth in amd radeon setting: 8bpc
Tested for 4:4:4 using the image from avsforum (the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog) without success (bottom 2 lines not as clear).
Set to 100% in PC display setting.
Use HDMI1

I plan to use this PC as a workstation for autocad and productivity so 4:4:4 clear text is very important. Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

are you at 30 or 60hz? if 30 you will not get 4:4:4

when you push the "123" button on the remote and then info ("i" with a circle around it) does the TV say "UHD 3840x2160 /60p HDMI UHD Color"?

are you at 30 or 60hz? if 30 you will not get 4:4:4

when you push the "123" button on the remote and then info ("i" with a circle around it) does the TV say "UHD 3840x2160 /60p HDMI UHD Color"?

Thanks for your reply.

I went into Display adapter properties and saw that it's was default 59 Hert. I changed it to 60 Hert. The Info(i) from TV remote has been displaying as '4090x2160/60p HDMI UHD Color' from the beginning when TV was out of the box. So, I assume that it's 60hz. One thing I don't understand is that Display adapter properties had it as 59hert while info(i) has it as 60.

Not sure if 3840x2160 or 4090x2160 makes a difference but I did tried both options multiple time without success.

Raden RX 360 (some threads mentioned RX380 unable to obtain 4:4:4)
TV set to PC mode
Use HDMI1

I only find ONE problem with your setup: what you call RX 360 doesn't exist, it's an R7 360, which is not HDMI 2.0 capable. Therefore, you cannot get 4k60p 4:4:4 with that card. Every other setting you mention (Pc mode, UHD color, HDMI 1) is correct, so if it wasn't for the gpu you should be getting perfect 4:4:4. As far as I know, only the RX 460, 470 and 480 are HDMI 2.0. You need a new gpu.

I only find ONE problem with your setup: what you call RX 360 doesn't exist, it's an R7 360, which is not HDMI 2.0 capable. Therefore, you cannot get 4k60p 4:4:4 with that card. Every other setting you mention (Pc mode, UHD color, HDMI 1) is correct, so if it wasn't for the gpu you should be getting perfect 4:4:4. As far as I know, only the RX 460, 470 and 480 are HDMI 2.0. You need a new gpu.

My mistake haha. I actually have RX 460.

The option should be YCbCr 4:4:4, not RGB.

Turns out in 'Advanced display settings' resolution should be 3840x2160 instead of 4096x2160(windows recommends).

Both YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB 4:4:4 produce 4k60 4:4:4. Now I don't know what the difference is between YcBCr and RGB.

Thanks for all your helps. I could die happy now seeing the bottom 2 lines of the testing image clearly plus the beautiful text on the screen. :)

I'm actually noticing a weird problem now - There seems to be a faint line of error pixels vertically along the exact middle of the screen (1px width?), which is only visible on blue background ( Color #3e3394 for example). It's invisible on white, black, green or red and just barely noticeable on grey. Has anyone else had anything like this? It's really hard to notice except for on some shades of blue, I've noticed it a few times before when working on my game, but until i checked it just now i just assumed i fucked up and left a border somewhere in the gui of the game view. Seems some of the subpixels might be stuck?

Has anyone had a problem like this?

I still could return it until tomorrow, i'm quite torn between keeping it as is (i LOVE it for gaming), or returning it and getting a new one (the price has fallen like 80e since i got it, but shipping these things back and forth is so risky - the one i tried to order before arrived with a huge crack in the display!), or returning it and getting something different / maybe waiting for the new phillips (when working, i get headaches... it might be the reflections, or more likely the pwm. Then again the Phillips might have different drawbacks when compared to this - however there's still not even an ETA!).

I payed 813e for this(43" 6500), which is why i'm picky about this - things are so expensive over here, i could cry when i read about the us prices. The 6300 (which seems to be 6000 here) costs like 570e here too.

Attachments

• theLine.jpg
    theLine.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 160
The option should be YCbCr 4:4:4, not RGB.

Both YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB 4:4:4 produce 4k60 4:4:4. Now I don't know what the difference is between YcBCr and RGB.

YCbCr is simply a different way of encoding an RGB signal RGB is unaltered, YCbCr is reencoded into luminance and 2 color exclusion channels. If your RGB signal is 4:4:4 then the YCbCr should be too, so it shouldn't really matter which one you use.

Turns out in 'Advanced display settings' resolution should be 3840x2160 instead of 4096x2160(windows recommends).

Thanks for all your helps. I could die happy now seeing the bottom 2 lines of the testing image clearly plus the beautiful text on the screen. :)

yea, you can display 4096 (true 4k) but it is not the native resolution of this panel and you won't get 4:4:4. also keep an eye on the Hz. mine seemed to randomly change from 60 to 59 one day causing HORRIBLE input lag.

Yeah, I had that same issue with the 59Hz bug. It seemed it may be related to PC mode, as after I started using DVI mode I haven't had the problem again.

Zephy7 I don't see any lines like that on my screen. I made a full screen paint.net with that color value you said, but it all looks fine (aside from the one stuck pixel I knew about).

What settings is everyone using for their brightness, color and contrast? I have no idea if my colors are right or not. Is this Forum supposed to be be grey because it was never grey on my old dell 30 inch.

What settings is everyone using for their brightness, color and contrast? I have no idea if my colors are right or not. Is this Forum supposed to be be grey because it was never grey on my old dell 30 inch.

I go here for all my monitor calibrations: Lagom

I just dropped one of these on my desk. (Best Buy price match @ $430.) It's retardedly huge. I'm very much going to have to look into installing it flush with the top of my desk.

I can can certainly see the complaints of smearing and trails. Just scrolling around on this forum leaves faint trails. However, it's worth it for the contrast, lack of TN color shift and IPS glow. The uniformity could be a bit better...

Doom and Shadow of Mordor look fan-fucking-tastic.

Back