Samsung U28D590D not waking from sleep

ilemon

n00b
Anybody else have this problem? I'm not sure if it's Windows, hardware, or AMD driver. My displays go to sleep after 15mins. I never use sleep or hibernate. About 1 out of 8 times the monitor will not wake unless I unplug the power and plug it back in. I have a second display connected via HDMI and it wakes every time. I'm at about 15 days in with this monitor and I'm thinking of sending it back.

Everytime i see someone with this type of problem, especially with "unplug + plug back in the power", it always turns out to be DisplayPort related. Then it turns into a debate of monitor firmware vs gpu driver.

Happens to me when plugging my Dell U3011 -> Macbook Pro.

Have you turned off the auto-off in the settings? Mine came pre-set to turn itself off after 4 hours.

Thanks for the responses.

I do get errors from time to time from Cataylst Control Center. It says the something to the effect of display port failed to respond but I see it on the monitor connected to the display port.

I just noticed the auto-off feature. I've never seen a monitor with that before. It's off now.

Thanks for the responses.

I do get errors from time to time from Cataylst Control Center. It says the something to the effect of display port failed to respond but I see it on the monitor connected to the display port.

I just noticed the auto-off feature. I've never seen a monitor with that before. It's off now.

I have a S24D590PL. I don't have this problem (it goes to sleep but wakes up when I press any key/mouse). I am using the HDMI input. From what I've seen so far is a Display Port problem (Dell has it as well with their models; check their forums; full of people complaining).

To test, I would recommend using a different input. At least it will narrow it down ...

I do not have this problem on my Samsung, but I do have a Nvidia GPU. Have you turned ECO Saving off?

i did a little looking around at different forums talking about the problem. Seems like displayport carries power through PIN 20 in the cable. Some cheaper cables just carry all 20 pins though, instead of NOT having PIN/wire 20 disconnected. So power goes in the wrong direction and confuses the monitor and/or the gpu.

"Q: Why isn’t there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?
A: The reason power isn't included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device. "

So to sum up, if you're experiencing strange symptoms with a monitor connected with a Display Port cable, check the cable to see if pin 20 is connected and if it is replace it with one that isn't.
I have ordered a belkin 1.8 m cable from Dell but If anybody knows what other brand of cables don't have pin 20 connected it might be nice for other people to know.

p.s. the contacts on the DP cable are very small so I needed very fine wires wrapped around my multimeter probes to test the cable.

So for about ten days I have been running Windows without requiring a password when the monitor is waking from sleep. I haven't had this problem since. Sometimes when I wake the monitor every window is resized to about 1024x768 and stuffed in to the top left of the screen. I think these are the times when the display port errors out. Now all I have to do is resize my windows instead of resetting the power.

So for about ten days I have been running Windows without requiring a password when the monitor is waking from sleep. I haven't had this problem since. Sometimes when I wake the monitor every window is resized to about 1024x768 and stuffed in to the top left of the screen. I think these are the times when the display port errors out. Now all I have to do is resize my windows instead of resetting the power.

Is this only every browser window? And do you use Google Chrome? And do you have a monitor to the left of the Samsung? If so, this is a problem with Chrome, not the monitor. I get a similar problem: see my bug report here.

I've had OP's problem 3-4 times since I got the monitor in April. I just power cycle the monitor and everything comes back up after that. GPU is a 680 running the latest nvidia release drivers.

This happens to me as well except my windows are put in the top right. I think (pure speculation) that it is shifting everything over to my 2nd monitor (1200x1920 portrait mode connected by DVI) and resizing the windows based on its resolution, then when I log back in it shifts the resized windows back to the 4k monitor.

Same issue as laid out above.

Late 2013 rMBP with Nvidia 750m discrete graphics.

Swapped out DisplayPort cable for a higher quality mini-DP to full-size DP, issue still happens. No rhyme or reason. Occurs every couple of days.

Back