Samsung Talks To BlackBerry About $7.5B Buyout

No, Samsung wasn't the king of smartphone hill "a few years ago." It was not until after the impressive release of the Galaxy S2 in late 2011 (which sold twice as many as the Galaxy S) that they took the reins officially from HTC. It's amazing how quickly the world changes :D

Few years ago falls into the 2011 timeframe when S2 was launching, depending on how you define "a few years" which I consider 3-5 years. Your rebutal is invalid

Sounds like what Google tried to do with Motorola...look at how that ended up.

You mean with Google selling off divisions, and getting tax deductions that in the end earned them money, essentially getting the patents free.

The BB Passport is the best phone on the market.... if you want to play games get a Galaxy or iDiot phone. If you've gotta hammer through 60 or 70 emails a day and need the best connection possible you get yourself a BB. The reception on the BB alone is worth it.

I agree with you.

People that actually do work understand this.

Most of the people commenting are kids or just care about playing games or watching movies on their phones.

I would tell samsung to stay the fuck away. I would also tell BB to take the fucking money!!!

No, Samsung wasn't the king of smartphone hill "a few years ago." It was not until after the impressive release of the Galaxy S2 in late 2011 (which sold twice as many as the Galaxy S) that they took the reins officially from HTC. It's amazing how quickly the world changes :D

Speaking of quick world changes, Blackberry also has gone from the top to the bottom in just 3 years (2007 to 2010, been dead for at least the last four years now). They've been quietly spending the last three dealing with the pre/post release of Blackberry 10/ BlackBerry Tablet OS, and trying to breath life into the dead husk.

It would be far more fitting for you to say it would be unheard of for Apple and Blackberry to merge, as Apple was the company directly responsible for their fall from grace.

I'm pretty sure it was Android. in 2010 the only carrier with the iPhone was AT&T, and that wasn't enough to kill RIM. OTOH, in 2011 Verizon had iPhone and a year or so later Sprint and pretty much everyone else had it too.

But that didn't matter, because RIM was already a dead handset by 2010.

Black Berry is ripe right now... and to be honest 7.5B is dirt cheap. This isn't about handsets to play a Samsung verison of brick breaker on. Its about 40k+ patents. A ton of them very very lucrative backend security patents. Being in the wireless sector around the time RIM was birthed. I remember laughing that the early blackberry networks here in Canada where the RIM employee network, then the Cell employee networks. Then they started filing patetns for things like push email.
For Samsung this could mean a TON of savings. Right now they pay for a quite a few cross patent deals. After fishing though Blackberrys patent holdings my guess would be they could perhaps remove ALL there payments to third party companies for patents relating to things like backend push tech ect. Long term 7.5B could look like a massive steal.

As it was mentioned 19B for and app, 2B for a company with no final product (oculus), 7.2B for Nokia..11.7B for Autonomy (HP), 2.5B for minecraft.. I too dont think BB is overpriced, I am thinking we will be making BB bids go higher with this thread.

Back