Samsung SSD 840 EVO and firmware updates

jonwil

n00b
I have a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB and I am seeing talk of various "issues" with these drives (not sure exactly what those are) and various firmware updates that are supposed to fix the problem.

Can anyone tell me A.What these "issues" actually are and whether I need to care about them B.How to find out what firmware version my SSD is currently running and C.If necessary, how to update the firmware (where to get it from, how to update it safely etc)

^^ Same for me. Never noticed the problems reported by others, but ran the Magician update on my two 840 Evo drives. Everything is running smoothly.

Thanks for the advice, I ran the Samsung Magician and pressed "update" and it updated the firmware with no issues. Also enabled something called "Rapid Mode" which seemed like a good thing and set the "OS Optimization" to "Maximum Performance".

Ive had mines for a few months and have not noticed any issues with it but then again I cant say that I check the speeds very often but I can say so far its much more reliable then the Silicon Power S70 I had as my OS drive for a while

Did the update on my 840 250 evo, But no update offered for 840 evo 500gb msata form factor. Was there never a problem with the msata evos?

Thanks for the advice, I ran the Samsung Magician and pressed "update" and it updated the firmware with no issues. Also enabled something called "Rapid Mode" which seemed like a good thing and set the "OS Optimization" to "Maximum Performance".

From memory "Rapid mode" uses RAM as a disk cache. From what I've read it helps benchmarks but not practical computing, so I keep it turned off.

Back