Samsung SpinPoint P80/120 dethroned as quietest drive $$ can buy

DougLite

Supreme [H]ardness
by the WD5000KS :eek: Not bad for a 500GB four platter drive.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article617-page1.html

SPCR had to double check their measurements the power and noise measurements in AAM mode were so jaw droppingly low. Still suffers from a little bit of vibration, but grommets should pretty well mitigate that. Both motor and seek noise are inaudible from one meter and out.

8.5W at idle, 8.6W seek in max AAM mode. Incredible that a 500GB drive with four platters is quieter and cooler than a single two platter 250GB Samsung drive, let alone the two that it would take to match the 5000's capacity. And oh yeh, almost forgot, the WD5000KS kills the Samsung drives on performance too :D

Add to this that you can score a WD5000KS on ZZF for about $220, and there's a new PVR/HTPC drive of choice.

All of you haters that think WD is "just a marketing company" need to sit up and take notice ;)

wow hawt damn. thanks. i have been interviewing reviews to decide what drives i want for my server next spring. i may have to take note of WD now lol

Cool! Any idea if this applies to the 3200/2500ks as well? RE drives too?

The WD2500KS isn't in this league, at least the one I have. I doubt the 3200 is there either. The RE version is a more interesting question. Obviously, they are cut of the same cloth, so they will have essentially the same idle noise/power profile. However, the RE version may not ship with the AAM modes that the SE does.

If the overtime holds up at work, I'm going to find out just how crazy quiet this drive really is. Good thing I didn't jump on the 500GB Maxtor at Fry's for $190 a while back.

I've got a WD3200SD and a WD3200JD, and would be willing to imitate their tests, if there's enough interest. I personally don't give a damn about drive noise - I've got 4 120mm 100cfm fans sitting less than 3 feet from my head all day, so any drive noise is insignificant. However, it might be a fun experiment. Anyone know what toys SPCR uses to test these things?

The WD5000KS drives are excellent drives.

TeeJayHoward said:
However, it might be a fun experiment. Anyone know what toys SPCR uses to test these things?
$400 mic, $300 capture interface, quiet room that probably cost more than those two put together. A quiet room and a sound meter would be enough to satisfy me, though. Especially if you've got that 16 dB noise floor :D

I can't help but wonder what effect on performance the various options have?
It seems pretty useless to say the drive is quiet without this information.....

Back