SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB $49.99

its a POS drive... i have had 2 fail on me!

ill stick with the WD blacks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to put this in RAID with my current F3, which holds most of my programs and games but not the OS, how would this work?

1. Transfer data off current F3, but Windows still loads OK since it's on SSD

2. Plug in new F3, build RAID 0 with both drives in there

3. Transfer data back to the array and just make sure it has the same volume name as the single current F3 did

Does that make sense? Also, how does one actually "build" the RAID? I have the motherboard in sig. It has six sata ports and claims to have RAID but there aren't any special-colored SATA ports that are RAID-specific or anything.

And finally, what is the primary benefit of RAID 0 - loading times for applications? Because that's the only point of doing this for me. What kind of improvement can I expect?

I have three systems in my house right now using the 1tb F3's, one as OS drive and 2 with SSD OS drives and the 1tb F3's as my storage drives. Never had a problem with these three. Also used the 1tb F3's as my main OS drives in my file server and my previous build without incident.

I like my 640gb WD Blacks, too - but they are louder than the F3s

Yeah for fifty bucks its definitely worth it. Drives fail that's just a fact. WD Black has a nice rep of course but these Sammy's are decent as well. I'd roll the dice for the price if I needed to.

i dont understand why 1tb drives for $50 or even $45 are a deal any more. for one, they get posted every week so its clearly not that great of a price. and second, you can get 2tb for $60-70 all the time, so why shouldnt 1tb drives be $30-35?

i dont understand why 1tb drives for $50 or even $45 are a deal any more. for one, they get posted every week so its clearly not that great of a price. and second, you can get 2tb for $60-70 all the time, so why shouldnt 1tb drives be $30-35?

Because that's not how the economics work. Below a certain price threshold it doesn't make sense to produce a given product and it simply disappears from the market.

It's not like you 8800 GTs being sold for $19.99 on Newegg, for example.

Aren't those usually "green" 2Tb drives? I know the gap will be smaller than expected speed wise, with that higher density, but are these still better for games drives?

I have two of these I have been running in raid for about a year and a half, and they are pretty great drives imo. Once I'm sure my SSD is going to last, I'm going to use them for program drives.

I've purchased 4 of these drives, one died after a month in a raid 5 array. Great drives, and Samsungs RMA process is easy. Hard drives die, thats just a fact of life.

I know the gap will be smaller than expected speed wise, with that higher density, but are these still better for games drives?

Heck yea, this drive reviewed well for it's class, with good overall reliability on top of it.

I was debating on picking one up to pair with a Z68 mobo + Intel SSD for some hybrid SRT goodness.

Last edited:
I've purchased 4 of these drives, one died after a month in a raid 5 array. Great drives, and Samsungs RMA process is easy. Hard drives die, thats just a fact of life.

Yeah, it is a fact of life that hard drives die, but a 25% failure rate after a month = Great drives... Really??? :rolleyes:

seagate bought maxtor and they went from okay to shit. seagate bought samsungs hdd manufacturing branch and now they have stupid failure rates. seagate is an atrocity

Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck. I've ordered many of these in the past and haven't had an issue with any of them (knock on wood of course). Hard drives will always be hard drives regardless of brand; they can fail or die or whatever, whenever.

Hmm... wonder how 4 of these would perform as a RAID10 datastore for VMWare guests in a home lab. I'm currently running 4 160GB drives and the available space is a concern. 2TB of RAID 10 storage would give me plenty of room to grow....

Hmm... wonder how 4 of these would perform as a RAID10 datastore for VMWare guests in a home lab. I'm currently running 4 160GB drives and the available space is a concern. 2TB of RAID 10 storage would give me plenty of room to grow....
I have two in a ZFS mirror for my datastore. I could provide numbers later if you would like.

Yeah, it is a fact of life that hard drives die, but a 25% failure rate after a month = Great drives... Really??? :rolleyes:

Generally if a hd is bad, it dies in the first month. I've had more Wd's die on me than any other brand. Do I still think WD drives are good? Yep. Hard drives are mechanical and thus prone to fail more than other parts.

these samsung drives are fast, run cool and the services samsung offers are great if you ever have problems with a drive.

Now go troll elsewhere, these are solid hard drives to put into a raid array. When I get a new case, in getting two more of these for my storage array

Going by your logic Hitachi has a 100% failure rate because the one I bought from Newegg died in a week :eek:.

I'm using two in a Raid 0 as my main for over a year. No problems yet. *knock on wood*

The 1tb is generally faster if single. Platter. But mostly because some people don't need the space... Why spend 20$ more for something you don't need?

Wife and I both use these drives and have had no problems since April when we purchased them.

Back