Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $53.99

are they quieter than WD 1TB black, because it's the loudest part in my computer at the moment.

damn.. that's sucks.. i just bought a 500gb from newegg for around the same price..

I've got a 1tb and 2tb in my machine now. Really impressed by Samsung's quality. These having been running flawlessly with my OS and after I moved it to a SSD.

So how's the reliability of these drives? I keep hearing flames about some of Samsung's other drives and how people would never use them again...(then again I hear flames about everyone's drives)

(then again I hear flames about everyone's drives)

looks like you answered your own question. I will also add that if you are referring to user feedback on retail sites like Newegg, don't put much stock in them. Most of those people are fools. Objective reviews by independent hardware enthusiast sites are the only way to go.

I got a pair back in the summer. Excellent drives.

If you don't have a Fry's near you, like me, then you can get these for $55 shipped from Superbiiz when you use the Rudolph5 coupon code and free shipping.

Objective reviews by independent hardware enthusiast sites are the only way to go.

How does this reveal long term use and reliability though? Unless the reviewer received his DOA, he usually never touches the drive again after the review or sends it back. User feedback is sometimes the only thing to go off of.

That being said, I have had mine for about 4 months with zero issues.

How does this reveal long term use and reliability though? Unless the reviewer received his DOA, he usually never touches the drive again after the review or sends it back. User feedback is sometimes the only thing to go off of.

That being said, I have had mine for about 4 months with zero issues.

I will concede that there are a couple of jewel reviews under some products where a decently informed user has had the product for an extended period of time. But on the other end of the spectrum are the idiots posting before they even receive the item.

Regarding enthusiast sites only having a small window of observing a product that they review, I'd argue that all of the enthusiast reviewers run multiple rigs of their own, and thus are familiar with the reliability and longevity of components in general.

But on the other end of the spectrum are the idiots posting before they even receive the item.

I agree and wish places like Newegg had some sort of filter for that stuff. I used to laugh at those reviews, now I just get perplexed. It would be better if the websites sent out the request for review a little longer out.

Regarding enthusiast sites only having a small window of observing a product that they review, I'd argue that all of the enthusiast reviewers run multiple rigs of their own, and thus are familiar with the reliability and longevity of components in general.

In most instances, yes. I would suspect such a mainstream and well received drive like this resides in a lot of reviewers rigs so I guess my outlook is more of a case by case from there.

Often I've wanted to post a feedback after a year only to find out Newegg no longer stocks an item and thus I can't post a review. So you either have to post your feedback earlier which only helps to tell people that the item didn't die on its first year.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last time I ordered one from amazon about a year ago, they had it wrapped in a static bag with those air bag things... that was it. Works fine. Newegg actually has done the same thing but used peanuts instead of the air bags. I prefer the air bags personally... what's the problem though? Let me know A.S.A.P

Check out the Amazon reviews on that drive and you will get a taste of it. Seems like the packing is very sub-par and people are having trouble from it.

Well if it doesn't work then they pick it up via UPS for free, no problems hopefully. I really hate RMAing crap but amazon is good for returns on broken stuff. I got it cheaper anyway like I said :)

Weren't these just $45 after code on Newegg? Like in the past 48 hours.

I keep hoping amazon will match $45 soon as I have a credit there...

update: YUP - it was (maybe still is) $45 with free ship on Newegg with code FB10XMAS

$45 is definitely hot

Weren't these just $45 after code on Newegg? Like in the past 48 hours.

I keep hoping amazon will match $45 soon as I have a credit there...

update: YUP - it was (maybe still is) $45 with free ship on Newegg with code FB10XMAS

$45 is definitely hot

ahmm, code ain't working :confused:.

Back