Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB - How are they?

jtg1993

Gawd
I came across a new computer store that is pretty close by, and they have 1TB hard drives for good prices. The Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB is one of them at $119.95. Im tempted to pick one up, but I have never dealt with Samsung hard drives. I have read that they are fast, and here is a picture:
HDTune_File_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD103.png

But also at that same store I can get a Seagate .11 1TB for $129.95. But im so tempted to get the Samsung but I don't know the quality, I usually go with Western Digital and they have served me well. Hows the quality on the Samsung? But for $10 more dollars I can get a Seagate with 5 year warranty but sacrifice some speed. Im stuck.

Samsungs are typically faster....but seagate does have a great warranty 5 yrs opposed to samsungs 3yrs.

How I see it is I dont usually keep a drive longer than 3 yrs so I might grab a samsung for the speed....although I do like seagates for RAID arrays. Just depends. I mean in 3 yrs well have 5tb for sure and probably 7.5tb drives so cant really go wrong either way.

I just realized the picture didn't work, and thats true about warranty the drive would be replaced before 3 years. How often do the Samsungs die, I have read some last 1 week and some that last a long time. This will be going in a Windows Home Server box, so it needs to last. And I cant afford a backup drive right now because im a jobless 14 year old. So if this drive dies im screwed.

I´d go with Seagate/WD. SpinPoints have got a high failure rate according to many reports.

Been using 4 samsungs in RAID 5 (readynas) for a while now, they don't get anywhere near 'hot'. Don't know if they others have caught up yet but I bought them mainly because they were the only 1tb drive to use 3 platters (less power etc). Not had any failures yet.

I wouldn't trust any brand to hold data without any form of backup/redundancy - get atleast RAID1 (mirror) with 2 drives or some form of backup or you will be in a position to lose everything whatever drive you use.

From reading your post p3n I remembered Windows home server has duplication, so I will use duplication on the important stuff like pictures and movies. I have used Seagate before in pc's and my friends have used them and all the drives have been great, so I think I might go with the Seagate, for the extra $10 I can get a drive that I have known to work good.

Back