Samsung SH-S183L

djnes

Fully [H]
Does anyone know where I can buy this drive? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It's the first and only SATA burner with Lightscribe that I've found.

I bought one in a Best Buy store last week, actually...very nice drives, but I haven't been able to test out DVD burning with it so far.

Bought it, because my CD drive was my last EIDE device, and now all my devices are SATA ^_^

I'm slightly confused...on the [H] main page, it says that the press release talks of "150MB/s, 300MB/s and 600MB/s transfer rates"...

how in teh hell are we gonna be able to use 600MB/s transfer rates on SATA-II ports that can only handle 300??

I mean, it sounds great and all, but I wanna see some benchmarks or something....

EDIT: And samsung's site says "Burst Transfer Rate: S-ATA 1.5Gbps"

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Opt...ve_DVDWriter_SH_S183L.asp?page=Specifications

I really hope it's a 2-sheep burner.

I'll have to go with IDE LiteOn SHM-165H6S for my next purchase if i can't copy protected disks with the samsung :-\

-scheherazade

I think I'll be waiting for the price drops, and some reviews to see how this burner will stand up. More SATA burners should be released soon...and no doubt some will be lightscribe enabled as well.
scheherazade said:
What's the website that lists these out again with their ratings? I need to check a few of my existing burners.

Newegg currently has a Lite-On SATA burner avail Lite-OnSH-16A7S-06 for $36+S/H and whatnot. Not sure how it stacks up though, haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

It's probably a good burner, it just doesn't have LightScribe...which is something I use.

Allegedly, a local Best Buy has this drive in stock, so I'm going to use some gift cards and pick it up later tonight. I'll post a review when I get it installed.

cool cool...thanks...

give us a lowdown on a speedtest too...not exactly sure how you'd test that, but ehh...having something to compare to would be nice :)

I stopped at Best Buy on my way home, and despite their website stating they were in stock, none could be found. What a shocker. I think I might just buy it online and have it sent to a local store. As soon as I get one, I'll post a review.

For what it is worth. They have boatloads of them in Fry's here in Austin, Texas. They have the SATA and IDE versions of this burner. Maybe they have them in other Fry's as well. Have not checked Frys website for them though.

I bought one the other day. Not installed yet.

I went to another Best Buy this morning and after pulling all the SH-S182s off the shelf, I found two of the SH-S183s in the back. I bought one, and I'll be installing it tonight. I currently have a LiteOn 851S and an HP dvd840i currently installed in the computer. If someone suggests a few speed tests, I'll run my old drives through before testing the new Samsung.

Hopefully yours works better than my 182M. It's been a bit "bitchy" compared to the NEC it replaced.

Here are the Nero Speedtests for my three drives. I used the same Audio CD for testing.

hpdvd840i_1.jpg

liteon851s_1.jpg

samsungshs183l_1.jpg

It figures, after I finally get it at a Best Buy, the Egg carries it for much less. I may have to buy another one.

This is hardly scientific, but this drive is extremely quiet, even when spinning a disc at full speed.

djnes said:
It figures, after I finally get it at a Best Buy, the Egg carries it for much less. I may have to buy another one.

This is hardly scientific, but this drive is extremely quiet, even when spinning a disc at full speed.
Wow 39.99 at the egg. When did it drop? It was double that last week.

so from what i can interpret from the graphs above, it's basically just as good as any other IDE drive, but quieter...worth the money?

For someone with a 965 chipset, there's no question it's worth the money.

Intel is phasing out IDE ports that are native to the chipset. On my DS3, I have one IDE port, but it's added later by Gigabyte. With more and more DVD-Burners coming out as SATA, the need for IDE is slowing going away.

Tutelary said:
I just bought this samsung on newegg, cant wait to get it.

Yeah, same here. I ordered on the 29th, but it's showing them OOS now and it hasn't shipped yet. I hope their stock was up to date and I don't have to wait a week or two to get it.

scheherazade said:

I'll have to go with IDE LiteOn SHM-165H6S for my next purchase if i can't copy protected disks with the samsung :-\

-scheherazade

Why wouldn't you be able to copy protected discs with it?

Has anyone tried running these SATA dvd burners on a Nforce4 Ultra mobo ? Do they burn ok,or have you had problems?

Why wouldn't you be able to copy protected discs with it?

I'd like to second that question... I'm definately interested in getting some SATA drives for my new 680i system...

Anybody?

Out of Stock at NewEgg, but I'm thinking about picking some up when they come back in stock...

Another question I had was how to go about updating the firmware on SATA drives... no ide, no atapi support, and I'm wondering how the transitions to SATA drives will be... what type of operation hurdles are there with SATA dvd writers?

Why would firmware updates be a problem? The manufacturer's obviously know it's a SATA drive...so what would the issue be?

I can only speak about the Intel chipsets, but on my 965, it works just as IDE drives would work on previous Intel chipsets. I can boot to DOS with it (which didn't work on 965 boards on the IDE channel). It works with any burning software I have to try it on, like Nero, CloneCD, AnyDVD, DVD Shrink, etc. Maybe I'm not addressing your question right, but I'm confused why there's so much doubt on how these will work. Intel chipsets have always treated SATA devices the same as IDE devices.

Out of Stock at NewEgg, but I'm thinking about picking some up when they come back in stock...

Good luck with that. Historically speaking, any cheap SATA optical drives that showed up on NewEgg stayed in stock for about a day and then never came back in stock again (unless possibly you literally sit on top of the page refreshing every hour of the day)

Good luck with that. Historically speaking, any cheap SATA optical drives that showed up on NewEgg stayed in stock for about a day and then never came back in stock again (unless possibly you literally sit on top of the page refreshing every hour of the day)

actually, if you persistently email them and ask for it, they'll get it back in stock asap :p

That's how i got my 2nd leadtek vid card...lololol...

Is there a detailed review anywhere? I was thinking about getting this but I want to know how it compares vs the other samsung drives.

well, I got this drive today. I'm disappointed in how loud it is. I however, am coming from a plextor that probably spoiled me.

The samsung feels much cheaper in construction. I did however burn 4.08GB in 3:44 (16x fuji), which seems pretty damn good to me. I dont have any 18x media to try.

I plugged it into the sata 2 port on my asrock dual sata2, loaded the sata2 drivers, and it worked immediately after reboot. I was very happy with that. (No, I know theres no performance benefit, but that port was closest to the dvd drive itself, so it was chosen)

Overall, easily worth the $40 with free shipping I paid for it.

well, I got this drive today. I'm disappointed in how loud it is. I however, am coming from a plextor that probably spoiled me.
Have you tried the speed-adjusting tool? They call it "Magic Speed".

I thought it was fairly quiet, if not the same as my previous HP and LG drives.

Has anyone noticed that each time the ETA is changed at Newegg, for having them back in stock, the prices goes up as well?

Has anyone tried running these SATA dvd burners on a Nforce4 Ultra mobo ? Do they burn ok,or have you had problems?

Can anyone help me out with this ^ ,and yeah what about reviews on these...?? I am surprised at the lack of reviews on a allot of stuff lately,or lack there of.

Can anyone help me out with this ^ ,and yeah what about reviews on these...?? I am surprised at the lack of reviews on a allot of stuff lately,or lack there of.

I am running the aforementioned Samsung SH-S183L and a Plex 12x Sata on my DFI Ultra-D NF4 with no probs at all.

Back