Samsung S27D850T (1440p S-PLS) & S32D850T (1440p A-MVA)

Any reviews or user experience on the 32" model S32D850T? My center monitor is going out and I am thinking about purchasing 3 or 5 of these.

Is the bezel symmetrical to work well in 5x1 portrait mode?

The one thing that this monitor has that the AOC lacks (of interest to myself) is PIP; are there other 27 inch monitors with PIP ?

Samsung has the 32" on their website for $700 and lists a 1-3 business days for shipping.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA

It's also now on Amazon for same price:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WQHD-32-Inch-Monitor-S32D850T/dp/B00L3KNOF4/

There's some sellers on newegg with it as well but the asking price there is still $850-ish.

I thought I saw a user review on one of Amazon's listings before they were at MSRP but can't seem to find it now. Anyone have one in hand that can offer some impressions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why?

The 32" is likely pretty much the same as the Acer B326HUL and BenQ BL3200PT (the Acer suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting while the BenQ does not when using the AMA High option, but the BenQ's gamma setting needs to be changed to be as accurate as the Acer's color presets) which suffer from obvious vertical banding when viewing light colors and the 27" is either an overpriced (it's 700$ in Canada vs. 500$ for the BenQ BL2710PT), generic multi-input 1440p monitor or unique/glow free like the overpriced Eizo EV2736W.

The only review I could find so far of the S27D850T is on this french website.

Anyone have any in-hands feedback? Considering it's $600 on Amazon if it's similar quality to the Ezio which is $900 it'd be a very interesting monitor.

I will update this thread with reviews when they come out

Official Press Release

PC Monitors Article

Both will likely use semi-glossy coatings and are standard gamut (100% sRGB Color Space Coverage), 8 Bit +FRC panels.

The 32" uses an A-MVA panel like the Acer B326HUL and BenQ BL3200PT ([H] Thread) which use A-MVA panels.

Guessing the S27D850T will be glow free like the Eizo EV2736W (Review Links+Info). If it isn't then it is kind of pointless since it will likely be expensive.

S27D850T Product Page (Russian)
S32D850T Product Page (Korean)

I have seen nothing so far that indicates it might be glow free on the samsung 27".

The EV2736W and apparently some Q2770PQUs are glow free. Since Samsung is the company that makes PLS panels, one would assume that they would monopolize the glow-free panels for the S27D850T. What a shame.

The EV2736W and apparently some Q2770PQUs are glow free. Since Samsung is the company that makes PLS panels, one would assume that they would monopolize the glow-free panels for the S27D850T. What a shame.
NCX is just speculating because of the higher cost. But I don't think Samsung is obligated to give a glow-free panel just because you're paying slightly more. I'll be looking into this monitor if Amazon ever gets it in stock.

Note that some of the EV2736W definitely aren't glow free either. It's a crap-shoot unless you buy one of the super-high-end monitors instead.

I'm almost finished my S27D850T typed review. It's not glow free, is only PWM free down to 30% brightness=172cdm/2 and the black+uneven colored bezel makes the blacks look light as well as makes it look like the monitor has really poor black uniformity (blacks look much darker near the bottom) since the bottom part of the bezel is silver. It has a 24 (HDMI+DVI) to 28ms (Displayport) delay, but does have nearly perfect preset color accuracy and very fast pixel response times with almost no overshoot.

The BenQ BL2710PT and AOC Q2770QPU (overpriced in Canada, but it can use a glow free panel) use matte grey bezels and are cheaper. The BL2710PT I reviewed matched the 850T's color preset accuracy and has significantly deeper, and far more even looking blacks thanks to the uniform, matte grey bezel.

As far as non-glow free EV2736W's go, keep in mind that some of the people who claimed theirs were not glow free and had obvious back-light bleed did not include their brightness settings or mention anything about their room lighting. A glow free panel will look terrible in a dark room if the brightness is kept cranked, especially if it has obvious back-light bleeding. I did not realize that my Qnix uses a glow free panel until I fixed the awful back-light bleeding by taking the monitor apart and straightening out the frame, even when the lights were on when using brightness settings many consider very low.

Last edited:
As far as non-glow free EV2736W's go, the people who claimed theirs were not glow free and had obvious back-light bleed did not include their brightness settings or mention anything about their room lighting. A glow free panel will look terrible in a dark room if the brightness is kept cranked, especially if it has obvious back-light bleeding. I did not realize that my Qnix uses a glow free panel until I fixed the awful back-light bleeding by taking the monitor apart and straightening out the frame, even when the lights were on when using brightness settings many consider very low.
I had it down to the lowest non-PWM level and it was still quite obvious in my room lighting. The bleeding was also pretty terrible, but the glow showed up in the non-bleeding corners, too.

IMG_20140814_174821B.jpg

That's how it looked in the dark. I neglected to take any pictures in the light. You can also make out the weird horizontal dark line running across the bottom quarter of the screen. I'd be willing to try another one if other people started providing anecdotes about getting glow-free panels again, but right now I'm looking at giving the S27D850T a shot.

Last edited:
The BL2710PT I reviewed matched the 850T's color preset accuracy and has significantly deeper, and far more even looking blacks thanks to the uniform, matte grey bezel.

Just to be clear: when you say "and has significantly deeper, and far more even looking blacks thanks to the uniform, matte grey bezel" this is about the BenQ or the Samsung?

So...im wanting the 32' version of this monitor i think.

It has higher input lag, worse colors, viewing angles and more ghosting than your Achieva. If you have the Achieva in a decently lit room the Samsung's blacks will only look slightly deeper, as well as uneven since both 850T monitors have uneven colored bezels. The BenQ BL series monitors like the BL3200PT have nice matte grey bezels which make blacks look deeper instead of lighter and uneven like the Samsungs.

It has higher input lag, worse colors, viewing angles and more ghosting than your Achieva. If you have the Achieva in a decently lit room the Samsung's blacks will only look slightly deeper, as well as uneven since both 850T monitors have uneven colored bezels. The BenQ BL series monitors like the BL3200PT have nice matte grey bezels which make blacks look deeper instead of lighter and uneven like the Samsungs.

So u think the benq would be a worthy upgrade?

So u think the benq would be a worthy upgrade?

No, because it is not an upgrade, the BL3200PT is a side-grade. There are no upgrades unless you want an overclock-able version of what you have (Yamakasi Catleap or Overlord Tempest).

Unfortunately I have to confirm that the Samsung shows the same banding issue. :(

At least you can see it only in some gray scale shades.
Color uniformity seems good:

Black level is not bad, but I expected better from a VA panel, and backlight bleed is noticeable in corners:

I don't notice input lag, maybe my old TN display (Samsung 2494hs) was not very fast too, but it seems a little faster only in some photos.

Overshot level is very good, almost unnoticeable in "faster" Overdrive setting:

Like the Benq, with "fastest" setting the overshot is much stronger:

There is also a "Game Mode" function in OSD which I did not understand what is it for, his activation will raise contrast and saturation to the max with a really bad color rendition.

So which monitor do you prefer the Samsung S32D850T or the BenQ BL3200PT or have you not used the BenQ?

Last edited:
I have been lurking around these boards for years and basically everyone says don't buy a monitor wait for such and such monitor to come out. I have a Korean 1440 p monitor and I've been looking for a larger monitor and everyone says just wait but I think the BenQ monitor is nice even though I have not seen it in person I'm leaning towards buying it and I'll buy it off of Amazon so If i don't like it I can send it back.

I have been lurking around these boards for years and basically everyone says don't buy a monitor wait for such and such monitor to come out. I have a Korean 1440 p monitor and I've been looking for a larger monitor and everyone says just wait but I think the BenQ monitor is nice even though I have not seen it in person I'm leaning towards buying it and I'll buy it off of Amazon so If i don't like it I can send it back.

I'm leaning toward the same. NCX had provided some feedback several months ago when I was looking for a 27" back then. Wanted a touch screen but apparently they do not compare yet to the non touch. So I decided to wait for a competitive touch screen which I've yet to hear about. Just found out about these two 32" models and am very interested. One of these would fit perfectly. From what I've read so far it sounds like the BenQ is edging out the Samsung.

What's the warranty on the BenQ? I've seen 3 years at their site (apparently no advanced exchange) and 1 year at Newegg.

Last edited:
Just ordered the BenQ BL3200PT from Amazon along with what looks like a really nice desk lamp. I set my 32" Samsung on my desk in front of my old 20" Dell LCD and and the BenQ should have plenty of room and look great. We'll see.

First question on this BenQ. I had read with a DVI connection you can run it at 2560x1440. My card can handle this as I checked in advanced. But when it's set to this res text looks horrible. Is this due to using my old DVI cable? I installed the BenQ driver and check in Device Manager. My understanding this shouldn't be an issue.

edit: yep, BenQ came with a dual link cable and the old I had wasn't. That fixed it.This thing is big!

Last edited:
Yea, does it have any banding issues? I ordered it's Korean brother, the Qnix QX320QHD so we'll see how this does. Upgrading from a Dell U2412M that's still a great monitor but wanted more real estate.

I'm very happy with the BenQ BL3200PT. I'm not noticing any of these issues. I made the OSD changes recommended by Tom's Hardware right away.

I'm not hearing any whine/noise at all.

I've not seen any banding issues. I looked for it in a test and thought I may have spotted something but I was looking very close and this is on a 32" screen.

Last edited:
If you haven't already done so you'll need a dual link DVI cable to get the best out of this monitor.

Just picked up an S32D850T at Fry's.

So far, so good!

No odd noises. I don't notice any banding. Blacks are ... black, and the size is definitely an improvement over my old 27" Cinema Display (in my case, I choose size over razor-sharpness, as many people of a certain age will... the dpi on the 27" screens just makes everything too small to be comfortable over long periods of time.)

One question -- has anyone found the optimal settings for this screen? Particularly the settings for brightness/contrast/sharpness. I'm assuming the OSD settings on this monitor are totally different than the BenQ even though the panels are identical.

^^
Strange problem. So i've been through 2 BenQ 32" and 2 Samsung 32" and none of them had a problem like that. I ended up sending the first Samsung back just recently because the stand started making horrible noises when adjusting it or touching it at all (or even my desk). I think the plastic frame was warped too, probably shipping damage.

Just did your google maps test and nothing...

I'm also posting on the BenQ bl3200pt thread. Had 2 BenQ 3200PT and the Samsung S32D850T all have been sent back because they have the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLvAYRzPfM

The bezel on the Samsung is no where near as good as the BenQ.

wow... that's terrible. I am getting a S32D850T from the egg this week... I'll be using the display strictly for surfing and work (no gaming). I hope I don't run into this weird flickering issue also.

edit: I got it.. wow! it's nice.. I can see how some people would not like the bezel but it doesn't bug me at all. I went from a 25" 1920x1200 display + 1280x1024 Dell display in landscape mode next to it. This has more pixels and is a much cleaner setup. The colors really pop! The blacks fine for me. The panel is such an upgrade from any I have I won't get too picky unless something is really off. I haven't noticed any banding but I need to mess with it more. No flickering either. Now I have to find a bunch of high quality 2560x1440 backgrounds. :eek:

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, I have had EDID problems with the BenQ BL3200PT. I sent the monitor back and received a replacement but it had the same issue.

$ get-edit | parse-edid
reports checksum failed. In everyday usage sometimes the full set of resolutions is not detected and it defaults to 1024x768 which is really quite annoying. With two other BenQ monitors (both GW2765) there is no problem.

This occurs with different graphics cards and different DisplayPort cables.

Has anyone else noticed a problem?

Edit:Apart from the edid problem the monitor is great. It's used as a workstation, not gaming, so I can't comment about the speed/lag.

Last edited:
Every time I sit in front of my new 32 I like it more and more. I use a small Dell laptop at the datacenter a lot and the screen is like 1366x768.. going from that to my home machine is almost overwhelming now. lol.

IMG_1217_zpsc78f5159.jpg

Last edited:
on my S32D850T, setting the display port to 1.2 will cause it to flicker and the picture will become distorted, and it the video signal will cycle on and off. This is on my GTX 980. In this case am i missing out of anything by not using it?

Back