Samsung S27A950D or Asus VG278H?

JAHBLO

n00b
Hi there.. my first post ever :p

I'm looking for a 27'' 120hz gamming monitor, I don't care that much about 3D, will be just a plus..
Should I get the Sammy or ASUS ?

And on the 2D quality, is there a considerable difference in quality between that two models?
I think the glossy screen caught more my attention..

I confess that I am a little worried about the problems that the ASUS is facing. :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I know there are many threads on both monitors, and I read them all, but I still can not make up my mind. :confused:

I have the S27A950D and love it. There are known issues with this monitor, some back light bleeding is the most common issue. I haven't had that issue though and no dead pixels so I been happy.

+1 for s27a950d

Did u have both right, Andrea deluxe?

I've read that you returned the ASUS and got the 950d.. did u have any problem, or was just 'cause you didn't like it?

Could you please tell me a little more about the difference in 2D quality between them? :D

in 2d no story.

samsung simply is the best.

asus is good for 3d vision2, but color are dead and gamma tooooo high...

The 950D knocks spots of every monitor I've owned.. Including the iMac 27" and a dell 3007. Can't go wrong.

Chris

I cant seem to decide between these 2 monitors, i will be using the monitor mainly for 2D gaming PC and PS3, but having the option for a superior 3D experience is tempting, are the colors and image really that much better on the samsung compared to the asus in 2D?

I just hooked up the Samy S27A950d, good lord this thing looks good.
I used the calibration settings I found online I may tweak them a bit but this monitor looks great. Very little BLB, less than my Samsung 275T and the blacks are just about as good.
No dead Pixels. Games look great Battlefield Bad company 2, Left4dead2 and Battlefield3
No ghosting or lag and 120hz does feel nice. If your on the fence get this monitor you will be very happy with it.

What settings are you using Howard ? I found some online and they made the panel look balls.

ATM I set to standard, then adjust the red down a little, the brightness at 40 and set to gamma 3.

Set whatever you think looks best. You're not going to get the same colors out of this as an IPS or *VA, so definitely don't compare to one of those types of panels. I have a 3007WFP-HC next to mine and I am a bit disappointed by the contrast ratio in comparison, but I know that a TN can never compare.

The main setting that made a huge difference to me was HDMI black level. Setting it to "low" really seems to improve the contrast ratio but it completely crushes the blacks.

Do not under any circumstances get that asus monitor. There was a thread here a while back devoted to that model in which nearly 2/3rds of the people in 20 pages of posts received defective units.

stay away!

Brightness= 45 (according to preferences and lighting conditions or use Eco light sensor if preferred)
Contrast= 75
‘MagicAngle’= Group View (becomes ‘custom’ once colour channels are altered)
Red= 43
Green= 50
Blue= 51 I tweaked the blue down to 45 for now

Dude which gamma mode are you set to ? Everywhere I've seen settings they recommend Gamma 3

Chris

Using the setting from my other post I don't think I can change the gamma settings they are not available. I am still tinkering I tried your settings yesterday they look good I can't decide if I like mine better yet, I need more time I was busy with my son yesterday at basketball practice. Oh I set it to the fastest settting I don't see any problems with the screen using that setting.

Maybe I need to set gamma 3 before setting up groupview i will try that tonight. Still this monitor rocks and the colors are very nice, this has to be one of if not the best TN panel out.
I felt like I was cheating yesterday playing Battlefield Bad company 2 last night my scores were through the roof.

Last edited:
1000 - I set to gamma 3 and then set to groupview this seems to give me the best look overall I will have lots of time to tinker with it more this weekend. Looks like rain Sat. for us in VA so I will spend lots of time on it.

I played (2) games of Battlefield 2 Bad company 2 last night the first one I had 34 kills 5 deaths and the second game I had 39 kills and 4 deaths. Great monitor with no input lag really helps with the Samy 275t I was almost always 20/15 or 25/20. It was rare for me to have more than 5 kills more than deaths.

I have the S27A950D and love it. There are known issues with this monitor, some back light bleeding is the most common issue. I haven't had that issue though and no dead pixels so I been happy.
Good to hear! I have a Fry's close by so returning for a better one if necessary shouldn't be a problem. I was quite concerned after reading the pcmonitors.org review that talks about the hinge causing backlight issues.

+1 for s27a950d
:)

samsung simply is the best.
:)!

The 950D knocks spots of every monitor I've owned.. Including the iMac 27" and a dell 3007.
:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hooked up the Samy S27A950d, good lord this thing looks good.
Oooh... :eek:

I felt like I was cheating yesterday playing Battlefield Bad company 2 last night my scores were through the roof.
Ahhh...:p

I played (2) games of Battlefield 2 Bad company 2 last night the first one I had 34 kills 5 deaths and the second game I had 39 kills and 4 deaths. Great monitor with no input lag really helps with the Samy 275t I was almost always 20/15 or 25/20. It was rare for me to have more than 5 kills more than deaths.
A LAN-mate of mine told me the same thing. Basically, he said his K:D ratio would be halved wo/ the Sammy. Also, I've read claims of improvement in BF3 across multiple forums since midnight. Further, I quit playing that game because of the extreme frustration from seeing a dude, unloading into him, and then the hand...that damn hand. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yesterday I picked up the Asus PA246Q and did enjoy a Portal 2 session. But there's a few issues I'm not 100% satisfied w/ and would like to try the 120 route. I'm sure it's going to be tough though as I've been using and THOROUGHLY enjoying my old 2007WFP S-IPS for over 5 years now. It's just too small and "dirty" for gaming. :p

Back