• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Samsung S27A850D Quality Control Update?

orangeblue

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
325
Backstory:
I'm in the market for two 27" monitors for my home setup which will be used mostly for gaming, programming, and internet browsing. Originally I was planning on going the Apple Thunderbolt display route, but I'm now thinking that might limit me too much, since only a few motherboards support Thunderbolt, and it likely won't show up on graphics cards for a long time. Now I'm looking at other options, and it appears like S27A850D is the only one that fits my criteria.

Actual Question:
Has the quality control improved on the Samsung S27A850D? The early reports of flimsy construction and terrible backlight bleed are pretty much the only things stopping me from buying this monitor. I know I can always RMA if the issues are bad, but if pretty much every unit suffers from these problems, then there's little point. Looking for reports from recent owners. Any help / information is appreciated :)!

Also, if anyone knows when the S27A850T will finally be available (US region), that would be helpful too, as supposedly they've fixed the QC issues on that version.
 
Well, if you originally planned to go with two Apple thunderbolt displays that means affordibiltiy or a glossy screen aren't major concerns.

Therefore I would suggest the newer Samsung S27B970. No one yet has reported any major problems with backlight bleeding. There is a minor issue with the displayport connector not having enoguh clearance to unplug the cable head.

Nobody knows anything about any 850T's in North America yet. You'll just have to keep checking the forum.
 
Well, if you originally planned to go with two Apple thunderbolt displays that means affordibiltiy or a glossy screen aren't major concerns.

Therefore I would suggest the newer Samsung S27B970. No one yet has reported any major problems with backlight bleeding. There is a minor issue with the displayport connector not having enoguh clearance to unplug the cable head.

Nobody knows anything about any 850T's in North America yet. You'll just have to keep checking the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was definitely considering the S27B970, but I'm hesitant on that for a few reasons:
- $350 more expensive, or $700 for two displays
- the reasons it's more expensive, such as improved color accuracy, aren't important enough to justify the price increase for me
- I'm planning on mounting the displays eventually, and the S27B970 doesn't allow that (plus the stand looks a little odd to me)

Guess I'll just keep checking in on the 850T availability.
 
Back
Top