Samsung Plans to Launch Facebook Competitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ugh, why Samsung? Why? Please stick to the products you are good at like monitors, hard drives and TVs and stay away from social networks. :eek:

The final product is slated to launch in the first quarter of 2013. “By the end of the year, we will have a polished and finished version of Family Story that will be offered first to Samsung device users for free. The new service will become available in the first quarter of next year at the earliest,” the official said.

Seriously, Samsung just keep making great hardware and let the Zuckerbergs of the world create the social networking products.

So Facebook is now in the middle of enormous challenges and is by far and way the best at what it does regardless and now a company that's got no experience in social networks wants to do a FB clone.

I'm calling it now, this is the post social network era. This shit is becoming worse than the onslaught of bad reality TV shows.

Can't wait for my Samsung TV to automatically share with my friends and family what shows I'm watching and when. Then they'll know I've got a guilty pleasure addiction to Real Housewives of Atlanta so I can finally stop living this lie...

I dunno. I kinda enjoy the occasional Facebook Bitch-Slap :)

Why did they have to mention that Samsung device owners would get free access? Do they plan on charging for this? Insta-Fail if they do!

Every once in a while some arrogant executive makes a decision that effects the bottom line of their copany in a negative way. This is one of those times , I hope we don't look back one day and see Samsung join the "lay everyone off to pay for stupid executive decisions" crowd. That's usually how these stories end.

Just so some stuffed shirts can add another, "me too", to the "I love me" wall of their office. But they don't live in the same world as the rest of us.

Facebook or Twitter. Its easy. Its only a MySQL database feeding a message board like Hard Forum. Facebook are doing a phone. Most phones are used for Twitter. Google are doing it and a Phone. Why not Samsung?

If you own Samsung stock, sell it now. There aren't enough rolleyes on the planet to articulate how WTF this decision is.

I hope this doesn't work out for them. Stupid people need to remain in a single location (Facebook) where the rest of the world can cordon them off and keep an eye on what they're doing.

Yeah, its super easy, especially when its a mega-sized implementation.

http://gigaom.com/cloud/facebook-trapped-in-mysql-fate-worse-than-death/

You are right (in relation to what I stated). It is easy to write a bit of PHP code to take a bit of text from a MySQL database and format it into a bit of HTML code.;)
Looking at the link that you provided to the article, as the database gets bigger; the demand on the MySQL engine gets greater. Multiply servers are required. A problem of load balancing and efficiently becomes a major issue. It gradually turns into a bit of a monster that needs a lot of feeding.:eek:

You are right (in relation to what I stated). It is easy to write a bit of PHP code to take a bit of text from a MySQL database and format it into a bit of HTML code.;)

Yes, developing a simple site that a handful of people use, no problem. But you didn't say that. You said Facebook or Twitter. Last time I checked, those aren't small sites.

My point its not easy, period. MySQL in particular is not suited for Facebook or Twitter-sized implementations. You need something more robust than an open source database for starters. Also, if you think a bit of PHP code and HTML code for the front end is all that's involved, again, you'd be wrong.

Yes, developing a simple site that a handful of people use, no problem. But you didn't say that. You said Facebook or Twitter. Last time I checked, those aren't small sites.

My point its not easy, period. MySQL in particular is not suited for Facebook or Twitter-sized implementations. You need something more robust than an open source database for starters. Also, if you think a bit of PHP code and HTML code for the front end is all that's involved, again, you'd be wrong.

I based my logic on the starting of such a service, and I was of the belief that Facebook and Twitter started small. Last time I checked though, Twitter looked like a small site, although the data may be large.

PHP/HTML, or a Java for an App on a phone are the only languages needed for the front end user interface. In fact they are pretty much the only languages available for such. Regardless, the program logic is the same for what ever.

If you stated that MySQL is not suited Facebook, then you are going to get a lot of people disagreeing with you. Like it or not, they are using it, and they are doing well with it. Tell Facebook that it is not suited, and Samsung while you are at it.:D

You kids done talking?

Obviously Samsung's hardware division won't be doing the actual, technical aspects of building up their new social network.

Samsung is merely funding/financing the deal by hiring smaller companies on contract to work on this project.

It doesn't matter who's funding a project, it could be McDonald's for all that matters.

So to say "Samsung shouldn't dabble into social networking" is like telling people who holds vast resources and money to bother with anything they do not possess any intimate experiences about... a world that operates on such a restrictive principle would have stopped progressing a century ago.

You kids done talking?

Obviously Samsung's hardware division won't be doing the actual, technical aspects of building up their new social network.

Samsung is merely funding/financing the deal by hiring smaller companies on contract to work on this project.

It doesn't matter who's funding a project, it could be McDonald's for all that matters.

So to say "Samsung shouldn't dabble into social networking" is like telling people who holds vast resources and money to bother with anything they do not possess any intimate experiences about... a world that operates on such a restrictive principle would have stopped progressing a century ago.

It.will.not.compete

It.will.not.compete

Says you.

I doubt this project is meant to be in direct competition to Facebook (like somehow stealing Facebook users away to Samsung).

No one is expecting Samsung's social network to grow to Facebook's stature.

But think about all the various products and devices that Samsung offers... and how many of them have an internet component to them.... you'll see that there is still an untapped market that could be created.

Do you really expect a company as big as Samsung to go into something like this blindly? They know what they're doing. Give them a bit of faith and let's not be so negative about a project we only know bits and pieces about.

Looking at the link that you provided to the article, as the database gets bigger; the demand on the MySQL engine gets greater. Multiply servers are required. A problem of load balancing and efficiently becomes a major issue. It gradually turns into a bit of a monster that needs a lot of feeding.:eek:

That sounds an awful lot like the Telco's phone data networks. Or so we're led to believe by the insanely high prices.

in 10 years theres gonna be a make your own social media club kit at walgreens/rite aid on some huge mega discount price where the packaging is mutilated by 1000 people who have picked it up and put it back down.

damn this medicine is kick in...puff puff :)

Large profit based company won't be able to take down facebook.

It would have to be a independently financed project with the desire to make profit far from its mind and the desire to provide a fast, flexible, and sexy social environmental that somehow out innovates facebook as its core................That being said its likely not going to happen......But Social is too new to tell.

If new Samsung TV's comes with it hardcoded into the TV's internet browser people will automatically start using it and it will kick off and stay.

Could work.

in defence of facebook, i think it was a great idea back when it was confined to Harvard or even just Uni's. networking with people you have no reason to network with is what makes FB stupid.

They do not have experience but they do have vertical integration. Samsung is one of the largest selling electronics makers. If they plop this software on everything they sell from phones to tvs to blu ray players, then people will just sort of use it much like how MSN messenger took off in the days. In fact the entire mobile phone race is all about that. Every company from MS to google wants to be the big player so they can push all their other crap on you.

Back