Samsung monitor not sleeping with certain cables

SuperToast92

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, just brought my rig back to school with me to help heat the room up on cold winter days :p

I also have a Samsung LS27A550HS 27" LED monitor which has a small annoying (yet common) quirk with sleeping and hdmi. I'm guessing it's the cable that's causing this, as it's *almost* the only variable that's changed video-wise between home and here. I'm using some sub $2 cable I found on Amazon, which works just fine for practical use. At home I believe I have a slightly more premium cable from Staples. Here's the predicament:

At home, the monitor would instantly sleep after the display was cut, be it system shut down, screen saver, etc. Here, with the cheaper cable, the monitor is staying awake for about 5 minutes with the annoying "Check signal" floating message. I've had this monitor for over a year, and it has done this to me before with different PCs with the same cable I believe.

I guess I probably already know the answer to my question then, lol. So I take it an HDMI cable can most definitely affect a monitor's ability to sleep properly? What are the chances of getting this cable letting the monitor sleep instantly as it does with my other cable: http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...TF8&qid=1357510969&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+cable ?

I hope everyone's having a good start to the new year! :D

And thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
But seriously, if someone could please pitch in if you happen to know...

Could an HDMI cable prevent a monitor from going to standby properly? I was using a dual monitor setup before, same monitor via HDMI and the other DVI.

Back