Samsung Magician Wake Timers

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I have read (and experienced) that this program loves to set wake timers, preventing sleep. Samsung has made the claim that sleep causes problems with enough SSDs that they disable it on purpose.

With my configuration (and many others across the 'net) this claim rings bogus--our Samsung SSDs work perfectly fine with sleep.

I use RAPID--the DRAM caching built into 840 EVOs. Except it requires Magician to be open. I think it has to rebuild the cache every time you restart the program, which defeats the point if true. Also, having to shut down a program before sleeping is annoying!

I have tried "Disable Wake Timers" in Windows Power Plans, rebooted to confirm that Wake Timers are not allowed.

Somehow, Magician defies the setting and sets them anyway.

Is there a way to ensure absolutely no wake timers are set on a computer, EVER? OS is Windows 8 x64.

So RAPID requires Magician to run? I thought RAPID setup was a one-time setup/config FROM Magaician, the first time you enable it, and then it did it's own thing, separate from Magician running or not.

Bummer. I specifically don't let Magician run BECAUSE it always wakes up my sleeping computers. I only have 840 Pros though, so RAPID's a non-issue for me.

Brahmzy is correct. You don't need Magician to run RAPID, just to enable it.

RAPID gets its own executable and associated DLL files loaded at startup.

I've removed Magician from startup, RAPID is still running just fine, and lets my PC use Speedstep to clock up and down and scale voltage as needed, and benchmarks show the RAPID benefits.

With Magician resident at the same time as RAPID, it pegs my idle CPU to max speed and voltage (which is overkill, as it's a 2600k overclocked to 4.8GHz/1.34v). Magician without RAPID doesn't rape my clock speeds however.

Brahmzy is correct. You don't need Magician to run RAPID, just to enable it.

RAPID gets its own executable and associated DLL files loaded at startup.

I've removed Magician from startup, RAPID is still running just fine, and lets my PC use Speedstep to clock up and down and scale voltage as needed, and benchmarks show the RAPID benefits.

With Magician resident at the same time as RAPID, it pegs my idle CPU to max speed and voltage (which is overkill, as it's a 2600k overclocked to 4.8GHz/1.34v). Magician without RAPID doesn't rape my clock speeds however.

Well then, in that case, never mind. Good to know.

Back