Samsung LN52B550 52" 1080p LCD w/ Red Touch of Color + Samsung BD-P1600 $1119

Gag! I came in here lookoing for impressions and maybe even comparisons with the Panasonic s1 and g10 plasmas. I am disappointed. :'(

Gag! I came in here lookoing for impressions and maybe even comparisons with the Panasonic s1 and g10 plasmas. I am disappointed. :'(

It's hard to say, if you can control lighting in your room (as in complete darkness) I think you'd be happier with a Plasma if you watch a lot of films or play games. Image Retention still exists, but burn-in doesn't... But looking at them in person isn't the best representation either, you do have to calibrate it and tweak it. I found my settings for a while were too bright, once I got used to the default "cinema" settings the black's looked accurate but it didn't seem to lose any details if I compared it to my image (Just blacks were blacks, not dark grays).

I got the p42S1 and am quite happy.. managed to get it from sears w/ a big % cashback from bing (like 20% something) so it was a good deal. As soon as there's another light source though, glare does kick up and it's a little distracting. That and text doesn't look as sharp as it would on an LCD.

600hz is misleading, it's not doing the same thing that 120hz LCD's are doing, so higher refresh rates really don't matter.. the 600hz is referring to "subfields" on the image... Although I'm not 100% clear on this... it might be flashing the elements 600 times per second, but not the entire image.

A standard video signal is actually a series of still images, flashed on screen so quickly that we believe we are watching a moving image. The typical frame rate used in North America is 60 frames per second (60Hz) meaning that a TV would display 60 individual still images every second. Sub-field drive is the method used to flash the individual image elements (dots) on a plasma panel. For each frame displayed on the TV the Sub-field drive flashes the dots 10 times or more, meaning that the dots are flashing 600 times per second (600Hz) or more. (Example: 60 frames per second x 10 sub-fields = 600 flashes per second).
600Hz technology lets you view superb full-HD motion and still images with 1,080 lines of resolution**. For even greater clarity with motion images, Panasonic uses its own unique image-analysis technology. This technology converts the motion in each scene into data. And each frame is practically displayed for a shorter length of time than in previous systems, to reduce aftereffects.
As video editor Geoff Morrison's piece explains, part of the blur perception comes from the fact that, on standard LCDs, frames are frozen on the screen for 1/60th of a second, and then abruptly shift to the next frame. This is called "sample and hold." Other technologies like plasma and DLP don't hold the frame for that whole 1/60th of a second, but pulse from one frame to the next, with some healthy downtime. The obvious solution is to double the frame rate to 120Hz.

One 120Hz method simulates the other TV technologies by introducing that downtime. Between each bright frame is a frame that's totally black or very dim (as shown above). The rapid succession of bright and dark frames, 120 times per second, looks smooth to the eye, and keeps some of the LCD's issues hidden in the darkness. This technique is the best, according to Morrison. Alas, it is dying out.

Bah... My only complaint is that it would be nice if I could adjust the 600hz feature of the plasma, see what it looks like "off" or back to a standard 60hz plasma, etc. But it's on all the time except in certain picture "profiles" but again they don't tell you what settings those are. People have figured it out though and you can read on avsforum etc. about it.

Enough ramblin... it's preference to be honest, and it depends on where you're putting the TV and your personal sensitivity to image quality / motion blur etc.

Thanks for that. I've have the ability to keep things dark and am leaning towards the 42G10. I have been using a Samsung 32b360 and am pretty happy with it. I'll probably miss all the web surfing on it tho. Oh well, thats what phones are for. :)

just because the screen refreshes faster doesnt mean that the electronics governing the screen can keep up.

+ 60Hz helps out in pc fps when you are flipping around looking for a dot on a 1920 screen

i want 120Hz for the potential 3d tech with shutter glasses i hope will come down soon.

i see a difference between each frame 5 times or one frame twice and the next frame thrice, especially text.

It's hard to say, if you can control lighting in your room (as in complete darkness) I think you'd be happier with a Plasma if you watch a lot of films or play games

I've got one of the newer Samsung Touch of Color LCD TVs. I'd have to say that, with the finish on this thing, it has the same problems as Plasma. I have to close the curtains and turn off certain lights to prevent glare. It's very shiny. I don't know what the finish is on this model (it's not the one that I have), but I'd stop by a store and see it in person if you've got a lot of light in your room. I love the TV, I really do -- but if I had known about the lighting restrictions I would have considered plasma more.

There are waaaay to many idiots in this thread. For those of you who think that 120hz sets are future proofing you, please do me a favor.. Hook up your computer to the TV and set the display setting to 120hz. Ohhhh.. that's right you can't.. because you don't have a 120hz display. Just because the TV displays 120hz doesn't mean it can accept a 120hz signal. What you are seeing is trickery plain and simple. It takes 60hz and fills in the gaps. So when you run a game from a computer at 120fps, you will not be seeing 120fps that the game is kicking out. You will be seeing 60fps, and then 60 more of those frames will be what the tv estimates the frame will look like. Whoever said they will be laughing at people when they go buy $2000 tv's to display TRUE 120hz signals doesn't know jack crap. It will be HIM who is going to be buying a new display because his 120hz TV that only accepts 60hz will not be able to accept a 120hz signal.

Now I don't know about plasma, but I thought it was the same way. It only accepts a maximum of 60hz source correct?

I dont give a damn about the arguement in this thread, but I got my TV and Bluray and it is beautiful I love it, its probably the best deal this year. I am very pleased with it.

This would be a better deal if it was the 750 model or higher, not 550 ;-) Also, if it came with a h2o powered vehichle and a new girlfirend. JK...

It's a good deal.

II love it, its probably the best deal this year. I am very pleased with it.

That's great. I thought my 56" 1080p DLP was a decent deal at $1600 2.5 years ago.
Now, it gets the job done but it's sad to see LCDs and Plasmas so cheap.

When I see a sale on a 55" LED for $1500, I'm buying. No asking permission from the wife either. I'd really like to hold out for a 60"+ set of better quality, but that's going to be a few more years, I imagine.

There are waaaay to many idiots in this thread. For those of you who think that 120hz sets are future proofing you, please do me a favor.. Hook up your computer to the TV and set the display setting to 120hz. Ohhhh.. that's right you can't.. because you don't have a 120hz display. Just because the TV displays 120hz doesn't mean it can accept a 120hz signal. What you are seeing is trickery plain and simple. It takes 60hz and fills in the gaps. So when you run a game from a computer at 120fps, you will not be seeing 120fps that the game is kicking out. You will be seeing 60fps, and then 60 more of those frames will be what the tv estimates the frame will look like. Whoever said they will be laughing at people when they go buy $2000 tv's to display TRUE 120hz signals doesn't know jack crap. It will be HIM who is going to be buying a new display because his 120hz TV that only accepts 60hz will not be able to accept a 120hz signal.

Now I don't know about plasma, but I thought it was the same way. It only accepts a maximum of 60hz source correct?

this is true. if youre in the store and you look at a 120hz or 240hz tv next to a 60hz, the 60hz does in fact look choppier when panning/scanning in scenes. however, when you stare at a 60hz screen alone for more then 30 sec you realize your eyes do some blending and adapting of their own, and there is hardly a need at all for more then a 60hz signal. surely, someday video cards and tv's will start pushing real 120hz frames around, but we are already pushing our hardware hard to get 60fps at 1080p. 120hz is a whole other expensive ball of wax so that's why they cheat it and hyper-blend what they have (60hz). it's fine though for tv's, as they always do heavy manipulation of images to present the best picture (unlike computer monitors that are designed to just show whats given, accurately). just dont go spending $300 more just to have that 120hz label, its simply not worth that much for so little actual improvement.

I have singlehandedly solved this problem for myself by never looking @ a 120hz set. :D

I made the bigger mistake of watching Star Wars, Transformers, and Up on a calibrated Kuro. :(

Wow, anyone that says 120hz is better than 60hz needs to get there eyes checked.

I watch all my movies at 24hz anyways. but ya 120hz ruins movies. its good for sports but its defiantly not a MUST have in TVs

Pron is best viewed in 120hz. On a 12' Plasma 3D display.

You'll feel like there shooting at you!

What exactly does "Signal Compatibility" mean? It is listing it at 720p.

I actually missed this thread, but my dad sent me the TigerDirect deal via email, so of course I came here to see if there was any talk of it and found this.

To me, a guy that really has no knowledge of HDTV's, it looks like a nice deal. Also, hows the contrast ratio on it? I've seen higher numbers, but is this thing of a decent build?

*edit - my parents current TV is some 40"(4:3) Sony CRT that has got to weigh more then my damn truck.... Worthy upgrade?

Last edited:
Back