Samsung Is Spending $9 Billion on the iPhone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung is spending billions on expanding its OLED production lines, and a big reason for that is Apple’s adoption of this display technology. I wonder if we are beginning to reach the point where only the cheapest phones will use LCD. What I don’t get is why Samsung hasn’t really experimented with OLED monitors yet.

A new report from South Korean news site The Investor says Samsung Display is going forward with its plans to expand its OLED production. The company will spend 10 trillion won ($8.9 billion) this year alone on the expansion, according to the site’s sources. Apple’s decision to move to OLED technology is likely what motivated Samsung Display to go ahead with this massive investment. Apple still continues to set the tone in the mobile market, and other phone makers are expected to follow its “lead” in the near future. Samsung, however, has been using OLED screens in its Galaxy-branded handsets for years, while Apple pushed LCD technology to its limits in its iPhones.

So iphone is finally getting oled? I remember having an oled phone screen something like 5 years ago.

Wonder what adjective apple will use to make themselves feel important this time around. Oh man, i hope it's "Sassy"

Samsung is spending billions on expanding its OLED production lines, and a big reason for that is Apple’s adoption of this display technology. I wonder if we are beginning to reach the point where only the cheapest phones will use LCD. What I don’t get is why Samsung hasn’t really experimented with OLED monitors yet.

From PCgamer article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/when-should-we-expect-oled-pc-monitors/
It appears 50% manufacturing yield, screen burn-in from static images (prevalent in monitors) means $5000 monitors.

Samsung probably makes more margin on mobile phone screens, hence their production line for Apple.

I assume this will mean that we will see some new budget phones sporting LCD displays very cheap. Given LED was good enough for apple and scored well on benchmarks this should mean that although they will be low in resolution there will be some decent quality displays on budget phones for a while.

Personally though I would like to see Samsung target gaming grade monitors. A lot of gamers are shelling out $500+ for these high refresh monitors with ips displays.

From PCgamer article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/when-should-we-expect-oled-pc-monitors/
It appears 50% manufacturing yield, screen burn-in from static images (prevalent in monitors) means $5000 monitors.

Samsung probably makes more margin on mobile phone screens, hence their production line for Apple.
The burn in problem on oled tvs is way over blown i have had my b6 for colse to a year as my monitor and see no burn in it does get some ir but it goes away fast and its way better then my plasma was before that.

So iphone is finally getting oled? I remember having an oled phone screen something like 5 years ago.

Wonder what adjective apple will use to make themselves feel important this time around. Oh man, i hope it's "Sassy"

OLED is not technically superior for phones. It has many issues with viewing in sunlight and the perfect blacks are irrelevant on a phone.

I havent missed OLED at all coming from the Note 4 to iPhone.

People don't care about color on their monitors if 75% of monitor users are just using
it to pay bills and write an email.

So you have this tiny market left.... gamers and professional users.

Surprisingly few gamers care about color. They're more concerned
about responsiveness and resolution, and generally aren't rich enough to
bother paying the OLED premium. They'd rather get a better graphics card.

So this leaves the very minority amount of professional users who are willing to pay a
huge increase in cost to have an amazing monitor.

Essentially they're too expensive and won't sell because of affordable inferior alternatives.

The burn in problem on oled tvs is way over blown i have had my b6 for colse to a year as my monitor and see no burn in it does get some ir but it goes away fast and its way better then my plasma was before that.

There is a big difference in usage between a TV and a monitor when it comes to screen burn-in. Tons of CRT monitors had icons and a taskbar burned-in, but it was rare to find a CRT TV with the same problem (they just got all-around dimmer over time)

It's the same reason plasma never took off as a monitor technology and was limited almost entirely to TV screens (but due to having digital inputs, they still got used as monitors sometimes, and would suffer from burn-in)

As a side note about burn-in: I was standing in line at a store once, and noticed the (CRT) security cam monitor showing a view of the front door. Then I realized that the real front door wasn't quite the same as the one on the screen, and I was actually looking at a photo-realistic burn-in image from years earlier.

Last edited:

Pssh, Tesla is just now setting performance records with electric cars? People were setting performance records in electric cars 120 years ago. What makes a Telsa so good?

Amiright?

OLED is not technically superior for phones. It has many issues with viewing in sunlight and the perfect blacks are irrelevant on a phone.

Also Blue-ing , native color reproduction is meh on current OLEDs .

LCD tech isnt sitting still dude... it too has improvements

As someone with a SGS2 loaner, OLED burn in sucks ass long term. You can see the keypad and status bar burnt in on white backgrounds.
I've researched every galaxy model and every model has accounts of burn in, even on the new S7s when they came out.
Biggest weakness of OLED is blue. it is about 30% of the brightness of red, and far lower life time, hence a much larger pixel is needed to account and no one talks about that. Blue is technically a lower resolution with much larger dot size...
TVs with moving images probably not an issue, but if used as e.g. a hotel news tv, with static elements often, I'd worry.

For now sticking with LCD tech where possible. E-ink on a dual screen phone coming out soon is of interest too.
OLED has some gorgeous exotic colour shades where most LCDs can fall short (e.g. yellow/cyan/aquamarine/leafy green/magenta etc) depending on back light and panel.

Tell that to my Note 3. I have imprints of icons burned into the screen.

Tell that to my Note 3. I have imprints of icons burned into the screen.

I never had burn in on the Note 4 but the screen was significantly dimmer compared to ththe iPhone when I upgraded. Not sure if that was due to age?

Its funny how people bag Apple for not adoptint technology early like Samsung who are more than happy to use end users as beta testers.

I had my galaxy S3 for 4+ years, no burn in.
I was always surprised Apple didn't use OLED, the color improvement over LCD is dramatic.
Either way, it's good to see a market driver adopt a technology like this, imagine where the tech would be had Apple done so years ago. (More money = More development)

People don't care about color on their monitors if 75% of monitor users are just using
it to pay bills and write an email.

So you have this tiny market left.... gamers and professional users.

Surprisingly few gamers care about color. They're more concerned
about responsiveness and resolution, and generally aren't rich enough to
bother paying the OLED premium. They'd rather get a better graphics card.

So this leaves the very minority amount of professional users who are willing to pay a
huge increase in cost to have an amazing monitor.

Essentially they're too expensive and won't sell because of affordable inferior alternatives.

We have lots of people who don't care about a lot of things that hasn't stopped the market from selling and making a lot of expensive displays for various properties. Gamers are shelling out $500 and up for high refresh rates, my point is even though that market may seem tiny they are big enough to serve. And sooner or later one of the big companies like dell / hp / apple is going to want to pitch OLED in a tablet/laptop/all in one as a selling point.

I think the bigger problem is right now clearly Samsung can sell ALL the OLED panels they produce into the massive phone market. So they are busy spending money trying to fill that capacity rather than look to open up new markets.

Given that they put their tail between their legs and retreated from TVs leaving the market to LG, it is no surprise they aren't into monitors that are a more harsh use case than either TVs or Phones.

I had my galaxy S3 for 4+ years, no burn in.
I was always surprised Apple didn't use OLED, the color improvement over LCD is dramatic.
Either way, it's good to see a market driver adopt a technology like this, imagine where the tech would be had Apple done so years ago. (More money = More development)

What "colour improvement"? iPhone 7 has a wider colour gamut and more accurate colours out of the box.

I doubt Apples reasons are money related, there really isn't much R&D that needs to go into fitting an off the shelf display. It would be more about using a mature technology and sticking with what works.

What "colour improvement"? iPhone 7 has a wider colour gamut and more accurate colours out of the box.

I doubt Apples reasons are money related, there really isn't much R&D that needs to go into fitting an off the shelf display. It would be more about using a mature technology and sticking with what works.

Give me my color in the proper wavelength.
http://www.androidauthority.com/amoled-vs-lcd-differences-572859/

Regardless of what you've read about the iPhone 7, LCD is inferior tech to OLED. I'm guessing you have an iPhone 7, and I am sure it is very close to what OLEDs have been offering.

Back