Samsung HD's

Alaric_2000

Limp Gawd
Anyone use the Samsung 160GB drives? Thinking about getting 2 and running 'em in RAID0. May pick 'em up tomorrow. Currently have an 80GB DeathStar that is making odd noises and is making me spend a fortune on Rolaids!

Here's a linky:

Samsung HDD @ Microcenter

Samsung HDDs are a tad on the touchy side of things. I'm sure there are alot of people who use em without problems but i've seen alot more than the average failing. I'd recommend spending that little bit more and buying a Western Digital or Maxtor drive for peace of mind and security of data.

If you really dont want to spend more, then the drives should work fine, but i thought i'd share my views on things :)

Samsung drives are great. They're fast, reliable and (relatively) silent. Kind of like Seagate and Hitachi HDDs.

I'm using a number of 120 GB Samsung HDDs (5400 and 7200 rpm models), and I haven't had any problems with them so far, unlike the single 120 GB Maxtor drive, which suffered a heart-attack after a few months and nearly died.

FunkStar said:
Samsung HDDs are a tad on the touchy side of things. I'm sure there are alot of people who use em without problems but i've seen alot more than the average failing. I'd recommend spending that little bit more and buying a Western Digital or Maxtor drive for peace of mind and security of data.

If you really dont want to spend more, then the drives should work fine, but i thought i'd share my views on things :)

To each his own but I've had more WD and especially Maxtor HD's fail than any other brands. I quit using either brand a long time ago. I've used Seagate with excellent results but about 6 months back I bought a couple of the samsung 160's for my own computer. i'm running them in a RAID 0 and they have been flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Samsung again. In fact, i will. :)

Back