Samsung HD204UI -- tool to set TLER/CCTL "permanently"?

jas67

n00b
Is there a tool to permanently set TLER/CCTL on the Samsung HD204UI like WDTLER.EXE does for the WD drives that support TLER?

To me, this seems to be a safer solution than hoping that the RAID card doesn't drive a drive on boot up, before start up scripts can run smartctl to set scterc.

Thanks,
Jay

CCTL/ERC is a volatile setting, which need to be send on every power-up by usually the hardware RAID controller. TLER is, as far as i know, the only setting that survives a reboot and works with all solutions since it does not require the controller to send a specific command; just like AAM this is a setting that survives power cycles.

many new WD and seagate have blocked tler. Some old wd can be changed permanently.
some of 1-2Tb should be good with smartmontools4.1(with onboard intel raid), else should boot first linux or fedora make script to change erc and reboot to windows....

Last edited:
I have 4 wd1001fals flashed to tler with zero smart errors I'll sell if ne1 wants.

Tler is a must on ich fakeraid controllers. Real raid controllers like adaptec 5805 and lsi controllers could care less but things certainly run better with it on I'm sure.

I also run 4 hd204ui 2tb green Sammies 24-7 always on, no tler etc..., and no drops sofar. That is on adaptec sas 5805 controller.

I have 4 wd1001fals flashed to tler with zero smart errors I'll sell if ne1 wants.

Tler is a must on ich fakeraid controllers. Real raid controllers like adaptec 5805 and lsi controllers could care less but things certainly run better with it on I'm sure.

I also run 4 hd204ui 2tb green Sammies 24-7 always on, no tler etc..., and no drops sofar. That is on adaptec sas 5805 controller.

I just picked up 4 x 2 TB HD204UI drives to also run as a RAID 5 array with the Adaptec 5805 hardware raid card. Already have 4 x 1.5 TB 7200 Seagate drives in a separate RAID 5 array on port 1 of the card working great.

Questions: is the HD204UI firmware upgrade necessary before the array can be created w/ these drives? Are there any changes from the Adaptec 5805 defaults that need to be applied to use these HD204UI drives with the card? Since the HD204UI are newer 4K sector drives, are there any Adaptec 5805 settings that must be set because they are 4K? Or must they only be formatted a certain way in Windows disk management to support 4K sector size?

Back