Samsung HD204UI Question

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have any experience with these 2TB drives in a raid setup?

Also, any good alternatives for green type 2TB HDDS?

Thanks for the feedback!

I've got 10 in a ZFS box that has been working great. I run weekly checks and I believe only seen one recovered soft error in the year i've been running them. I would agree that they wouldn't be a good choice for a hardware raid setup due to the lack of TLER though.

Nightmare on a Perc in my experience, will drop drives randomly. On the latest firmware.

Although they are fine on MDADM and ZFS.

I've had 4 in my synology DS411+ for over a year I guess, no problems with them. I did the firmware update at the time I received them - not sure if there have been further updates.

I've had 26 (14 running 24/7, 12 running in bu volume) running RAID 6 (Areca Card, 1202 then 1880) for over a year with 0 problems. Maybe I've been lucky, but experience has been so good that I am looking to buy 10 more when the prices fall a bit. I dont know if it matters or not, by my case/cooling setup keeps the drives between 21-25 degrees C.

For those that say that these aren't good hardware RAID drives, please elaborate and provide alternative with rationale and experience.

Thanks for the replies. I jumped on 3 of them when Newegg had the coupon code for them @ 110.

I've had mixed reviews on them too. They are either super reliable or somethings wrong with them, but they seem like the best 2TB consumer green drives as far as i can tell.

I use the same on my Adaptec 5805 without problems. They are even on adaptecs compatible list.

I've got 5 in a Synology 1511, about 14 months old. Pretty good, only negatives is the noise they make spinning up, but silent after that, and 1 of the drives went bad after 3 months and I had to RMA it.

I used 8 on an Areca ARC-1230 controller. Zero issues, great performance.

Selling mine off, don't need the storage any longer. If you need a reliable controller for these drives, I'm selling mine. Low hours, really used it mainly as a data archive. And has 1GB of cache, any file 1GB or less in size is basically an instant transfer.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688087

Back