Samsung HBM Gen 2 presentation at IDF

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Samsung at IDF presented regarding HBM Gen 2 - http://www.computerbase.de/2015-08/idf-2015-samsung-fertigt-high-bandwidth-memory-ab-2016/

- Mass production early 2016
- Target markets are HPC and High End Graphics
- Graphics oriented configurations examples were:
1) 4x4Hi. 16GB. 1 TB/s
2) 2x4Hi. 8GB. 512 GB/s
3) 2x2Hi. 4GB. 512 GB/s
4) 1x2Hi. 2GB/ 256 GB/s
- Their roadmap predicts HBM ramping to mainstream applications in 2018.
- Gen3 on roadmap as 2020.

4-1080.2521133515.jpg

Just to add there have been tape out reports regarding AMD and Nvidia semi-recently.

Last edited:
Hmm, wonder if Nvidia has a little suprise?...Samsung HBM instead of Hynix, so AMD can have all the exclusivity it wants.

Wow, I had no idea there are other company working on HBM too. But am I right in assuming that this HBM is something Samsung developed them self independently of the one done by Hynix/AMD?

If so, does this mean nVidia will not necessarily use Hynix, or are they committed to that for Pascal

Samsung wont be ready for a couple years, AMD still has plenty of priority for HDM.

I don't think Samsung and Nvidia are the best of friends as Nvidia pissed Samsung off recent and they have sided with AMD and have even move there fabs closer to AMD.

early 2016 is a couple of years from now?

they are going into production early 2016, that DOES NOT mean they will be available early 2016.

They have to iterate, and refine the process first.

I would expect volume availability around early/mid 2017.

If everything goes perfectly, maybe late 2016 at the earliest,.

I don't think Samsung and Nvidia are the best of friends as Nvidia pissed Samsung off recent and they have sided with AMD and have even move there fabs closer to AMD.

The Apple and Samsung are not friends either and samsung has no problem building chips for apple.

The Apple and Samsung are not friends either and samsung has no problem building chips for apple.

people tend to think that big business companies are like friendship, a problem and the relation its broken? that's not gona happen..

Samsung wont be ready for a couple years, AMD still has plenty of priority for HDM.

Did you read the slide where it says mass production in 2016? Poor AMD will be waiting on Hynix to deliver a handful of chips while NVIDIA is getting millions from Samsung's Fabs.

they are going into production early 2016, that DOES NOT mean they will be available early 2016.

They have to iterate, and refine the process first.

I would expect volume availability around early/mid 2017.

If everything goes perfectly, maybe late 2016 at the earliest,.
Well judging by their dia they clearly plan mass production and availability in 2016. High end GPU's are rather niche market, I'm almost certain that they cane make enough chips for those.

So they are going to mass produce the chips but not make them available to anyone. :D

for a couple of years

they're just going to put them on the shelf somewhere and let them collect dust.

I mean, I do acknowledge that it's a German article and there could be some mistranslation going on. But the slide does seem to indicate that there will be "Mass Production" in 2016 for graphics and HPC applications.

whatever.

im not going to bother trying to explaining manufacturing logistics.

I doubt Hynix is going to wait around for AMD though. Surely if nVidia is ready to produce Pascal next, which looks to be the case considering the gap between both company's cycle, Hynix will roll out HBD 2.0 rather than do nothing until AMD is ready with their next architecture?

Mass production = process of creating large numbers of similar products efficiently.

i don't get it
do you honestly think Samsung is gonna dedicate mass production assembly line to REFINE product?
Samsung spends like $10B plus in R&D each year and they have dedicated testing facility for that

nope, it called MARKETING...

mass production means squat, without mass availability...

I will say that although there's no clarity on exact availability, I will say this:

Although they did not pioneer the technology, within 2 years Samsung was the GDDR5 vendor of choice, and they have remained that way. They know their way around ramping-up production capacity swiftly.

Samsung was the first fab outside of Intel to ship 14nm in quantity (the Galaxy S6 chip). Since they have decided to get their ball in the HBM game, you can be assured they are in the game to WIN, not just compete. They will push for availability as soon as possible, and leverage their fabrication leads ASAP (as they did with GDDR5).

They announced mass production only 2 months (February) before the release of the S6 (April):

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/news/14001

So I'm fairly confident on how closely they can estimate availability of a simpler product, like DRAM.

Last edited:
Back