Samsung GearVR MilkVR Streaming from Server/NAS Guide

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/3vuopp/simple_lan_stream_to_milkvr_own_app_simple_server/

I had nothing to do with this, but just wanted to post this and let you guys know this worked like a champ for me on my Galaxy S6 which has so little onboard storage and no SD card.

Only extra step I had to take was listed at the bottom where I added a '0' to the number on "maximum bitrate", as otherwise the streaming quality was poor. Setting the max super high, it streams excellent on my wireless network with no lag and the quality is identical to sideloading locally on the device!

Do you have to do steps 5-8 for every media file you want to play? I may give this a go since I already have an Emby server on my NAS box, but I wish there was just a Plex app for the GearVR.

Do you have to do steps 5-8 for every media file you want to play? I may give this a go since I already have an Emby server on my NAS box, but I wish there was just a Plex app for the GearVR.
Yes, and while that part is a PITA, its a lot less of a PITA than changing file extensions and dragging and dropping it onto your phone and waiting for the file transfer to complete after plugging it in.

Once its setup you just open that app, click on the file you want to play, I don't bother giving it a different name, and then it prompts to open with that tool and voila it starts streaming immediately.

So like four clicks.

The more annoying aspect is that GearVR can only do stereo sound, so since most of my library is DTS, that's a no-go. But that was already a known issue, and yes something like Plex would be ideal but doesn't exist as far as I know.

Hopefully one day soon someone will write a program which can stream the media directly from the source over the LAN. Something like VLC, or even Kodi.

Back