Samsung Galaxy S5 with lollishit 5.0 update = hot mess

itsGEE!

Limp Gawd
The most frustrating part is the battery life. There are little things that changed, such as text message notification vibration that I can't seem to change back to the double buzz. Battery life sucks balls. I powered on my phone and after 3 minutes, the percentage dropped to 97 percent after a full charge. That's insane.

I regret upgrading and will try to go back to kitkat somehow. I did all the tips and tricks everyone's posting, but no luck. Warn the others, don't do it!

You did a full factory reset? My girlfriends S5 battery went to shit after the initial lollipop install. A factory reset fixed the issue.

My HTC One m7 and m8 upgraded fine without having to reset. I did shutdown and restart my phone after the first time it optimized apps.

I've read that clearing the cache, factory reset should fix the battery issues. Apparently L is significantly different than previous versions of Android, enough so that your existing caches might cause crap like memory leaks and battery drain.

Oh look...Samsung issued a crappy update....dozens surprised.

Serves them right for murdering the Lollipop improvements with TouchCrap.

Did you turn off auto-sync'ing for your google account apps? That will drain your battery fairly quickly...

Did you turn off auto-sync'ing for your google account apps? That will drain your battery fairly quickly...

On any recent phone (Nexus 5 or LG G2 or later) it shouldn't. If it does, then the people who developed the OS overlay sucked balls at their job.

I thought this was a Wi-Fi only feature?

I don't know whether it is or isn't on lollipop...i know on 4.4.4 it was draining my battery...so i unchecked sync on everything except gmail. If i ever need to sync my contacts or calendar i would check the box then uncheck it again right after.

I don't know whether it is or isn't on lollipop...i know on 4.4.4 it was draining my battery...so i unchecked sync on everything except gmail. If i ever need to sync my contacts or calendar i would check the box then uncheck it again right after.

Bizarre. Must be a ROM specific issue. I haven't needed to cut down on syncing of data since I left me HTC EVO 4G, that device needed it due to the LTE radio being separate and being a battery vampire.

Stock and AOSP Lollipop on Nexus 6 can have all syncing turned on and not burn battery, this is manufacturer/ROM specific bad dev'ing. Could also be something entirely not Google sync related is wakelocking the snot out of his phone, which is much more likely.

I've tried a few different 5.0 based ROMs on my S5. One was a tweaked version of what Samsung released. I got terrible battery life on that one.

The other is an optimized 5.0 version of Samsung's except it has most of Samsung's bloat stripped out. It has good battery life except I have quite a few applications that don't work (G Drive, uTorrent Remote, iCardio). I also get the occasional system lock / reboot.

The issue I had in 4.4.4 for battery was with the wake lock issue caused by the Google Play Store constantly trying to update location. I had that issue on multiple phones. I ended up fixing it by disabling WiFi-based location service, don't keep WiFi alive on sleep, disallow google from scanning for WiFi networks with WiFi off.

There's an app called Amplify (iirc) that fixes the wake lock by limiting it to only requests every X amount of time. That did wonders. I know it was a pretty widespread bug they never patched.

Last edited:
Welcome to lollipop. Google really fucked this one up

They did make a few big changes in the OS (one being the switch from Dalvik to ART) that I think a lot of app developers haven't adjusted for.

With the S5, we can only hope that an AOSP (CM12) ROM gets stable enough. Right now, they seem to have major issues.

As with any new Android OS release, the first version is always the buggy one. There's a reason that KitKat went all the way to 4.4.4. Early adopters may want to wait a bit until a more mature version comes out.

With the S5, we can only hope that an AOSP (CM12) ROM gets stable enough. Right now, they seem to have major issues.
You want stable AOSP, don't buy Samsung. This has been known for a long time.

Purely a Samsung "feature" of the locked down drivers and code. Instability and crashiness isn't an intrinsic problem of AOSP....it is a feature of Samsung handsets, where devs are forced to bend over backwards to try and make things work around blobs and reverse engineer things. I've been running "alpha" designated code on my Nexus 6 for 3 months...it has been more stable annd smooth in normal use than my Note 2 ever was under either Touchwiz or AOSP.

None of that is Google's fault. It is entirely the OEM (Samsung) being a developmental dickwad.

Not really...this one is on Samsuck.
A lot of people on other phones are having the same problems. My battery life was shit on lollipop with the nexus. Going back to kit Kat solved every problem I had. It's not Samsung this time

Running CM12 on my Note 4 for a week now and it's been wonderful. No problems at all. Wonder what it is specific to the s5 that makes Lollipop so bad?

Wondering whether Samsung has ever seriously tested it when pushing the new version?

I have a Verizon GS5 with no SIM card. This was a pain in the ass to initially activate and then we had to remove the SIM card or the phone locks for 20 minutes every time it turns on. Every time I check for the update, it comes back with an error that is is unable to check. I presume this is because this is a development phone so it doesn't have any active Verizon service. Is there an easy way to get the update manually?

Last edited:
This is about the only time I'm glad AT&T is always lagging behind on updates. My S5 just received the 4.4.4 update last Friday upgrading from 4.4.2.

I have a Verizon GS5 with no SIM card. This was a pain in the ass to initially activate and then we had to remove the SIM card or the phone locks for 20 minutes every time it turns on. Every time I check for the update, it comes back with an error that is is unable to check. I presume this is because this is a development phone so it doesn't have any active Verizon service. Is there an easy way to get the update manually?

have you tried using Kies or ODIN?

This is about the only time I'm glad AT&T is always lagging behind on updates. My S5 just received the 4.4.4 update last Friday upgrading from 4.4.2.

There are still chances that when ATT finally starts lollipop to S5, they will screw up the push.

A lot of people on other phones are having the same problems. My battery life was shit on lollipop with the nexus. Going back to kit Kat solved every problem I had. It's not Samsung this time

I've seen it mentioned. I don't think it's ready for full time use. They're already at 5.0.2. Might be a 5.1 or 5.2 before we see great stability.

Also, as a battery/performance tip with Lollipop. Install the app "greenify" and then configure for all nonessential apps (ie: non-msg, non-syncing apps). I did this and my performance went way way up. My UI isn't lagging at all anymore.

Lollipop seems to allow a lot of apps to stay active in RAM. So my S5 was routinely sitting at 95% usage. Every time it swapped something out, I'd get lag.

I've seen it mentioned. I don't think it's ready for full time use. They're already at 5.0.2. Might be a 5.1 or 5.2 before we see great stability.

Also, as a battery/performance tip with Lollipop. Install the app "greenify" and then configure for all nonessential apps (ie: non-msg, non-syncing apps). I did this and my performance went way way up. My UI isn't lagging at all anymore.

Lollipop seems to allow a lot of apps to stay active in RAM. So my S5 was routinely sitting at 95% usage. Every time it swapped something out, I'd get lag.

This is surprised since dang near every version of Android is claimed to be the one that fixes battery drain and performance problems with background apps.

Last edited:
That's Android in general. It does a terrible job of deciding which apps stay open and which to close. Sometimes even force stopping the instance doesn't get rid of it completely.

This is surprised since dang near every version of Android is claimed to be the one that fixes battery drain and performance problems with background app.

Actually it has gotten much worse! :D

That's Android in general. It does a terrible job of deciding which apps stay open and which to close. Sometimes even force stopping the instance doesn't get rid of it completely.

Actually it has gotten much worse! :D

It is done intentionally in Lollipop to increase performance. Quitting apps is actually counter productive wrt performance both in battery as well as I/O,

The last couple of days my phone started preforming poorly. The battery life is still good, but my phone lagged so much that I had to restart the phone. I've tried closing apps and monitoring the mem usage. Typically have more than 400MB free. I can't tell if it's anything from there. So Google, you're making me consider an iPhone even more.

The last couple of days my phone started preforming poorly. The battery life is still good, but my phone lagged so much that I had to restart the phone. I've tried closing apps and monitoring the mem usage. Typically have more than 400MB free. I can't tell if it's anything from there. So Google, you're making me consider an iPhone even more.

Like I said, with each of their releases they have gotten worse. I can't tell if they care or don't know it's actually an issue.

You still on the M8? If so, are you using the stock ROM/update?

I'm using stock lollipop.

Typically when my phone basically start to lag, it is after YouTube and using the Dolphin browser.

Android 5.0 to 5.02 have known large bugs which will indeed drain battery and consume excessive memory.

Android 5.1 has been receiving positive reports in Indonesia (where it has been out for several weeks now). Google knew about these issues and has supposedly fixed some of them.

I'm reading that Android 5.1 will be deployed to Nexus devices in March. I hope that's early March, and I hope the other manufacturers update quickly. What a mess.

Here is a paste of the rumored fixes:

• Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
  • General improvements in system stability
  • Improved RAM management
  • Fixes for sudden app closures
  • Improved battery management
  • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
  • Issues with wireless connections fixed
  • Problems with OK Google function solved
  • Notifications problems solved
  • Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
  • Other improvements and changes

Additionally: Android 5.2 has been spotted on a Nexus 5 on GeekBench. That is possibly good news. There are other issues to address.

It is done intentionally in Lollipop to increase performance. Quitting apps is actually counter productive wrt performance both in battery as well as I/O,

Maybe that was the idea, but many apps don't need to hold RAM as they're only called upon once every other day. It's fine if your device is one of the newer ones with 3gb of RAM. When you tie it up with Touchwiz, you're consistently running low on memory.

It's nice to see there are fixes in the works.

I'm using stock lollipop.

Typically when my phone basically start to lag, it is after YouTube and using the Dolphin browser.

Running Dolphin on lollipop has given me great pains, I can't speak for YouTube though.

Dolphin doesn't have a good build for ART yet, in the past they have been terrible at getting new run times ready and what they initially release is very buggy. I didn't use Dolphin HD for years till they fixed their shit with 4.2.

Maybe that was the idea, but many apps don't need to hold RAM as they're only called upon once every other day. It's fine if your device is one of the newer ones with 3gb of RAM. When you tie it up with Touchwiz, you're consistently running low on memory.

It won't matter what OS layer the programs are tied up to, when memory in Android is exceeded the program will be dumped instantly. The problem is the background processes in Android are not metered or policed very well, realistically this has gotten worse since 2.3.

Qualcomm's S8** series chips are very bad at gating, they can turn off cores very quickly but turning them on again is a pain. If your phone is heating up really fast its usually because the shitty SoC is switching gates so fast it has no idea wtf to do. I hear this isn't as much of a problem with the SD810 and what ever they release with it (which probably won't be crap since they just released their new low end) but I don't see the SD810 being any good either.

I think there was a review site that posted battery results showing that call time actually went up a few hours.

why blame Samsung? Lollipop is a piece of shit, and runs lie crap on any phone/device unlucky enough to get updated. It looks pretty but has less features and worse performance.

Back