Samsung Galaxy S III launch details revealed ; May 3rd

Yawn. Boring ass phone. Too much bloat and shit added. I don't give a flying fuck about Facebook integration. Much less do I want a damn 4.8 inch screen.

Now if VZW would only bring a GOOD One X variant instead of the piece of crap that is the Droid Incredible 3.

I think this has some real software improvements (the keep awake feature, S Voice, pip video etc) and they obviously copied the One X camera features. And TouchWiz has always been lighter than Sense.

It has a bigger and removable battery and microSd while being slimmer than the One X, that's pretty amazing.

I think this has some real software improvements (the keep awake feature, S Voice, pip video etc) and they obviously copied the One X camera features. And TouchWiz has always been lighter than Sense.

It has a bigger and removable battery and microSd while being slimmer than the One X, that's pretty amazing.

Yeah, I am a bit surprised at all the negativity. I watched the CNET video on it and it looks awesome. The features that you mentioned absolutely like awesome improvements that are going to make the experience better.

My only decision at this point is going to be if I want to wait for LTE or just get the HSPA+ version over the summer.

If its pentaband I might grab an int'l version simply to get a better return on my T-Mo SGSII than I would by waiting. But overall its kind've "meh".
The screen is a slight disappointment (pentile RGBG). We already knew the SoC wasn't pushing any boundaries, the software is irrelevant. They're currently talking about "zero-shutter lag", which is great, but they've had that on the nexus for 6 months and the X has it too. So, meh.

Its nice that it includes the mSD and removable battery, however. But thats more of a "yay, we didn't lose key features" thing than "yay it has those!"

Hey, it does have a wireless charging accessory available. That IS pretty nice.

I think everyone is disappointed with the hardware - its basically the Nexus with a bigger screen and different cpu. The camera is probably not that great, which is why they're highlighting all the social features instead of talking about the sensor.

It just seems like a software release and people were expecting amazing hardware. It's a boring design and nothing new compared to the amazing One X. So much hype for nothing.

I think everyone is disappointed with the hardware - its basically the Nexus with a bigger screen and different cpu. The camera is probably not that great, which is why they're highlighting all the social features instead of talking about the sensor.

It just seems like a software release and people were expecting amazing hardware. It's a boring design and nothing new compared to the amazing One X. So much hype for nothing.

The Nexus doesn't have very good hardware.

Apple suing Samsung (for the millionth time) for S Voice being a direct ripoff of Siri in 3..2..1...

Samsung are literally begging to be sued with that layout and icon. There is no other explanation.

Hmm not too impressed.. I was holding out on the nexus form google play store just for this..

How long does it usually take new android versions to get to Samsung phones compared to google phones?

Hmm not too impressed.. I was holding out on the nexus form google play store just for this..

How long does it usually take new android versions to get to Samsung phones compared to google phones?

Samsung is one of the worst, if not THE worst, when it comes to upgrading their phones software.

From the pics they showed, it's fugly. The 4'8 screen in a bit ovalish shape, smaller note, but still fugly. Nothing like the elegant Lumia, or iPhone or OneX, Samsung still lacks in phone design. And Moto Razr still stays as IMO best looking Android phone.

Samsung focused on software and user experience rather than hardware specs with this phone. Isn't that what Apple does and they always get praised?

I can guarantee that if Apple had introduced Direct Call, Smart Alert, photo sharing etc (with an 'i' of course) the tech world would be going mad calling it the greatest thing ever.

I don't get the hate on the hardware or the comments stating its bad hardware? It's a quad core processor. How many quad core phones are out there at the moment? 1.

Terga phones with almost same screen, better camera... why would you be impressed?
Almost being the key word about the Tegra phones and the confirmed benchmarks outperform every phone on the market. As far as the camera is concerned....how do you know the others have better cameras? Nobody has posted comparisons yet. So you have a phone with the best screen on the market, best benchmarks on the market, the most storage on the market, significant battery improvements (according to Samsung), and all of the features of the market's other killer phones and you're disappointed? What did you expect?

Almost being the key word about the Tegra phones and the confirmed benchmarks outperform every phone on the market. As far as the camera is concerned....how do you know the others have better cameras? Nobody has posted comparisons yet. So you have a phone with the best screen on the market, best benchmarks on the market, the most storage on the market, significant battery improvements (according to Samsung), and all of the features of the market's other killer phones and you're disappointed? What did you expect?

Twice! :D

I imagine that some of the disappointment is that there wasn't a surprise announcement that there would be a CDMA version (that is to say, Verizon especially). So, for the US, you're locked into using T-Mobile or AT&T. For many people neither are an option and they are desperately waiting for something else to hit Verizon's shelves because they don't like current offerings and are waiting for the next superphone.

As for the phone itself, the new screen will hurt it a bit. I had an Incredible and pentile was just not a very pleasant solution. And, yeah, the phone is massive which is a mark down for me anyway. Appearance-wise, it's definitely not going to win many accolades as it pretty much looks bland. The hardware itself is great though. Mostly. The camera looks a bit weak as well given it didn't really improve much over the previous generation. And this whole focus on social networking is completely a non-factor for many people, including myself. Give me a better camera and not camera software that makes it easy to upload to Facebook or whatever. Overall, you'd be foolish to buy a GSII at this point, but you'd also be a fool to not look at competing phones given that the GSIII isn't lightyears ahead this round.

Samsung focused on software and user experience rather than hardware specs with this phone. Isn't that what Apple does and they always get praised?

I can guarantee that if Apple had introduced Direct Call, Smart Alert, photo sharing etc (with an 'i' of course) the tech world would be going mad calling it the greatest thing ever.

I don't get the hate on the hardware or the comments stating its bad hardware? It's a quad core processor. How many quad core phones are out there at the moment? 1.

These two comments exactly! Anyhow, I'll be getting this asap for myself, not even going to wait for the LTE version.

I think the US version with the S4 will actually perform better than the quad core global variant (see Tegra3 One X vs S4 One X), it will be interesting to see battery life benches at least. Right now I'm more interested in Verizon's version of the HTC One S (Incredible 4G) than the S3 because of HTC's recent policy on unlocking and the form factor. If the screen is the same one as the Rezound that will be about as close to a perfect phone as I can probably hope for this year.

Would be cool if they sell an unlocked version in the U.S. for $399 to be activated on pre-paid plans like Straight Talk. Like Google just did on the Galaxy Nexus on the Play store.

I think the US version with the S4 will actually perform better than the quad core global variant (see Tegra3 One X vs S4 One X), it will be interesting to see battery life benches at least. Right now I'm more interested in Verizon's version of the HTC One S (Incredible 4G) than the S3 because of HTC's recent policy on unlocking and the form factor. If the screen is the same one as the Rezound that will be about as close to a perfect phone as I can probably hope for this year.
reviews are out suggesting that the S4 has better battery life. And it has LTE.

The SIII looks cool and all, but not radically better than the HTC One X. The hardware and software look very good, the new TouchWizz features sound pretty neat. The design of the phone itself looks ok, but not that great, I think the One X looks cooler, and the iPhone as much as I hate Apple does make a very good looking designed phone.

I don't know, I have the Galaxy Nexus, at this point rather just wait the 6 months for the Nexus-Four, is supposed to be built by Samsung again, and I am sure all the features in the SIII will be in the new Nexus, plus whatever Android 5.0 Jellybean brings. But I will say for 2012 the best smartphones will be the Galaxy S3, iPhone5, Nexus-Four. But will admit the new features in TouchWizz look pretty damn cool.

This thing looks amazing to me..

Then again I am still using the Original Droid which is close to being a door stop :p

I'm just wondering how much longer I will have to wait for the Verizon release, or if I should just upgrade now and be happy for a couple years.

The GSII got 4.0 before the Nexus S, so I don't know. :p

Disappointing hardware?
The second phone to have a Quad is 'disappointing hardware'?
64gb internal + SD card, which no competitor has is 'disappointing hardware'?
Wireless charging is 'disappointing hardware'? (Only thing I actually care about :p)
2100mah removable battery is 'disappointing hardware'?

Dafuq were you expecting?

I do think the S3 is cool phone, but between the HTC One X, eh not that much better, except for some of the cool features TouchWizz is adding like the voice stuff is very neat, and Android needs to include this in all new phones, that is a big upgrade right there.

But the U.S. will get this phone in "Summer" Could be June could be September ? Then the Nexus-Four will be out in Nov/Dec and Samsung is said to be again manufacturing the next Nexus device, and what will Android 5.0 Jellybean bring to the table ?

So if you are an Android geek, wait for the S3 sometime this Summer, or wait a few more months for the next Nexus. Those will be the top two Android phones this year.

Overall, you'd be foolish to buy a GSII at this point

Why? I reckon the release of the S3 will drop the price of the S2 dramatically. An S2 at, say, 300 euros, is probably a better overall deal then an S3 at 600+ euros. I think this is probably one of the reasons people find the S3 specs to be a bit lukewarm. The S2 was a beast of a phone compared to what was available at the time. The S3 just doesn't feel as dramatic a jump. A fantastic phone, sure, but there are very good alternatives out there for a fraction of the price. If you already own an S2 for instance i don't think the upgrade is worth it, unless you really *must* have the best of the best, no matter the cost. It would probably be best to skip this generation altogether and wait and see what happens with the next round up next year.

Last edited:
Boy did I pick the worst time to decide to sell an International SGSII :/

I would love to see the cool notification toggle widgets from the S3 ported to the Nexus. Was always surprised Google left out notification toggle widgets completely from stock Android 4.0. I know they never had them before, but all the newer phones have toggle widgets, I think it should have been a stock feature in ICS. And the ones I see in the S3 preview, look pretty darn slick.

The GSII got 4.0 before the Nexus S, so I don't know. :p

Disappointing hardware?
The second phone to have a Quad is 'disappointing hardware'?
64gb internal + SD card, which no competitor has is 'disappointing hardware'?
Wireless charging is 'disappointing hardware'? (Only thing I actually care about :p)
2100mah removable battery is 'disappointing hardware'?

Dafuq were you expecting?

This.

Is Samsung going to release the new TouchWiz for earlier phones like SGS2, since almost all the new features are pure software? I hope they do.

Kinda let down, at least it's not going to be 6 months late getting to the U.S. I can see the next motorola phone stealing some of the galaxy's thunder if it has the maxx battery and a big non pentile screen.

I think this is a great phone and I'll buy this on day one!

My biggest pros:
Removable 2100mAh battery as more smartphones are integrating the battery

MicroSD slot up to 64gb as more smartphones are removing this feature. (Which is huge for me, as I have around 40gb of flac music that I'd like to rip into 320kbps into the phone, and I really don't want to use a cloud service to hold my my entire music collection. Plus I'd like to rip my 3-10 seasons of The Simpsons DVDs and some bluray movie rips)

720p screen (I can understand how some people don't like pentile but I don't mind)

quad core processor / improved GPU ( Even if the US gets Snapdragon, I don't mind as it's still a powerful chip and the benchmarks show it is putting up a decent fight with the latest Exynos)

As more smartphones are being more locked down by integrating batteries and removing external storage, I'm glad to see the Galaxy S III stay as a modular beast.

Edit: And to people saying they don't like the look, doesn't matter to me as I'm gonna put a case and screen protector on that sucker.

I really don't want to use a cloud service to hold my my entire music collection.

i don't understand your statement here....because all you have to do is set up the google music app to upload when convenient for you and let it do it's thing, it's not like you are out anything, and it only has a 20,000 file limitation, could be 20k flacs or 20k shitty mp3's.

Here's the thing. I am like you, tons of flacs, and I have around 28Gb on my 32Gb sdcard used for music. I don't want to be dependent on data for my music, however, if you use it as a supplemental service it works out really well. I can have a shit ton of music, +/-30Gb worth on my device locally and the rest in the cloud so everything is always available.

not using it just for no other reason than "because you can't be bothered" is not a real reason to use cloud storage as a reason to need 64Gb of local space or a removable sdcard. The sdcard can be accessed through the device via the USB charging cable anyways same as if you popped it out, which always confused me as to why people have such a hard time with not being able to remove the sdcard.......plug the motherfucker in and it's the same thing...

Back