Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - USB Modem

mtbvfr

Weaksauce
Hi Folks,

For those of you that use a USB Stick Modem with your Note 2, what effect does it have on the usage of the battery?

Thanks,

Last edited:
You mean using your Note 2 AS a USB modem? As in using USB tethering? If you're talking about USB tethering, then your phone charges while it's plugged into the PC, so unless you're constantly downloading something, your phone will actually charge (though slowly because it only charges at around 550 mA on a PC's USB port).

No.

I'm talking about connecting a USB Stick Modem to the phone.

How much does it increase the use of the battery when the phone is not connected to a power source.

Can both a USB Stick Modem and a power source be connected to the phone at the same time?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Why would you attach a USB modem to your phone? Is it even possible that the phone would know how to access the modem much less dial basic telecom services?

Why when you have a 3g/4g modem already built in?

You would be the first person I have ever ran accross wanting to put a USB modem on the phone,.

Why would you attach a USB modem to your phone? Is it even possible that the phone would know how to access the modem much less dial basic telecom services?

Why when you have a 3g/4g modem already built in?

You would be the first person I have ever ran accross wanting to put a USB modem on the phone,.

This.

I'm very confused as to what your intent is by this when you have 2 other means of internet connectivity to the phone (cellular and WiFi).

I would suspect that if you plugged in a modem to the phone with a USB cable, it would actually charge off of the modem. The problem would be enabling the phone to interface with the modem through the USB port and accessing the internet with it. I know the Note 2 doesn't support this natively, so you would definitely have to use some third party application for it to work, but I'm not sure one would exist for that.

The scenario, I'm trying to determine is feasible, is as follows.

I'm located in Peru where the power can be cut without warning and data quotas, for a Mobile Phone account, are NOT generous. It would be significantly cheaper to get a USB Stick Modem which has a much higher data quota.

The USB Modem (stick) would draw its power from the phone.

This is the type of Modem I have used before to connect my Desktop PC to the Internet.

I have a WiFi Router connected to my PC to enable an Internet connection for the iPhone 3GS I am using to develop an HTML5 application for my client in Oz.

I have seen that there are Android applications available for creating and editing HTML5/CSS/Javascript files.

If the power cut should occur so that I can't use my Desktop PC, then, the idea would be to use the Note 2, or Note 3, to enable me to stay connected to the Internet and continue my development work.

Thanks,

Back