Samsung F2380 Image Crush Solved ?

fricek12

n00b
Hi, I was reading about F2380 and I still dont know if to buy it...

I wanna ask someone who is having or had F2380 (not just someone who have read reviews or tests on Internet) about:

Image Crush
- see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOkGjFru4x0
- see http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/GamerGuyX_GGX/blackcrush.jpg

I have read this article
Samsung F2380M: black ghosting and other problems solutions
http://www.digitalversus.com/news_id-12541.html

Can somebody tell me if the Image crush problem is really solved?
Or do you note any improvement after setting your F2380 like in that article?

I d like to buy F2380 for
1. common PC work,
2. watching movies,
3. occasionally games (WoW, Counter Strike)

(I stil speculate about Samsung P2370 instead of f2380 :( If there were not image crush problem on F2380, I would take it !!) so is the image crush solved or not ?

I dont want to watch movies like this
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/GamerGuyX_GGX/blackcrush.jpg

Thanks

The only things that article mentions are making sure overscan is off (PC mode 1080p) and to disable RTA because of artifacts incurred by its poor implementation. According to Xbitlabs and other response time testing, this would make the F2380 completely impractical for any type of gaming (except maybe flash or the Sims).

Turning off RTA solves a problem with overshooting and a blue halo following objects; but not the black crush. Black crush (gamma different in center of screen than at other angles) is a problem with current S-PVA/C-PVA tech. Only Samsung can fix that in their next panel revisions (unlikely).

The only things that article mentions are making sure overscan is off (PC mode 1080p) and to disable RTA because of artifacts incurred by its poor implementation. According to Xbitlabs and other response time testing, this would make the F2380 completely impractical for any type of gaming (except maybe flash or the Sims).

Turning off RTA solves a problem with overshooting and a blue halo following objects; but not the black crush. Black crush (gamma different in center of screen than at other angles) is a problem with current S-PVA/C-PVA tech. Only Samsung can fix that in their next panel revisions (unlikely).

So, there is no way how to "turn of" this color crush ?
http://www.it.com.cn/diy/bigimg/2009/06/14/06/539511_33.html
(F2380 at right)

Should be Samsung P2370 better than F2380?

Don't know about Samsung, but it's fixed in Eizo's model with the same panel, EV2333. But it costs a bit more. Has a very flexible stand though, the monitor can be pulled down real low so you're looking at it from above. Good for both neck and eyes.
Since I wrote about Eizo just a few hours ago on another forum I'll put in picture and a link to a video of their new stand. :)
stands.jpg

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/videos/flexstand/index.html

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1271060370

The black level on EV2333WH after calibration is 0.04 cd/m2 which is stunning. The very low black level is a small revolution when it comes to PC monitors and the black level on Eizo EV2333WH is actually on par with some of the best LCD-TVs and plasma-TVs out there.

Sure, we also saw a very deep black level measurement in our Samsung F2380 review (only released on our Danish site FlatpanelsDK) but it had terrible black crush, eliminating shadow detailing completely – and then it’s not very useful to have a very deep black level.
I was therefore eager to see if EV2333WH had decent shadow detailing.

Eizo EV2333WH has some minor issues with shadow detailing before calibration. It's nothing serious and I was able to distinguish almost all shades of grey but the 1-2 darkest shades was reproduced just like full black.
But definitely good shadow detailing and much, much better than on Samsung F2380-

P2370 is an entirely different league with it's TN panel and a stand that's not adjustable what so ever. Apples and oranges comparision.

Last edited:
P2370 is an entirely different league with it's TN panel and a stand that's not adjustable what so ever. Apples and oranges comparision.

I know, I am choosing between Samsungs cPVA F2380 and TN P2370
I was decided for F2380 due better viewing angles and better colors (and changeable stand too), but after that I have seen articles about ghosting and crushing dark colors togather, I am considering rather TN P2370, because I dont want to watch movies "all in black" ( http://www.it.com.cn/diy/bigimg/2009/06/14/06/539511_33.html )

So I asked somebody, who has Samsung F2380 and knows Image Crush problem, if he or she tried set in OSD menu something (if there something is) to "turn off" color crushing, e.g. set "Normal mode" or "Movie mode" than "Standard mode"

Just wanna know if you can get rid of the Image crush on F2380

I have bought 2 F2380s.....the black crush is so easy to fix makes me wonder about the reviews. DigitalVersus also had no problem calibrating either version. Just download Rivatuner and use the gamma adjustments in the custom colors sections, you do not even need a calibration unit to fix it.

My 2nd F2380, which I purchased 3 weeks ago did not suffer from black crush at all with the out-of-the box settings, took about 5 minutes to calibrate using the Eye One Display 2. Movies are amazing, ghosting is only a problem usually during syntehtic tests like pixer pixan. I have mine next to a 120hz 2233rz and when cloning the display for movies motion blur isn't really noticeable, sure it is there but that is comapred to a 120hz TN. I also use it for PS3/360 gaming, unless the games are extremely high contrast (looking at a sunset) dark color streaking usually is not a problem.

Xbit labs reviews are weird....their contrast settings/measurements are always extremely low compared to most other sites and calibrated user settings. Same with Flatpanels HD.

Isnt it annoying whenever a panel comes around with amazing contrast ratio & black levels it always ends up having poor response / ghosting issues with gaming? (Take the F2380 or EV2333WH for example).

This is ultimately why im using a TN panel right now, my main priority is gaming performance but I'd love to buy a monitor with 0.04 cd/m2 black level AND be able to use it for daily gaming.

I have bought 2 F2380s.....the black crush is so easy to fix makes me wonder about the reviews. DigitalVersus also had no problem calibrating either version. Just download Rivatuner and use the gamma adjustments in the custom colors sections, you do not even need a calibration unit to fix it.

1. Could you make some photos from your F2380 pleaase ?? I d like to take a look how the movies work.

2. So, you said the ghosting is OK - you see it only if u want to see it ? :) So when ordinary work at PC, Files moving, Windows moving, Internet browsing, you wont see any ghosting?

Thank you

Sounds like damage control for shitty job they did when reviewing the screen.
I bet they got some not very polite emails from people reading digital versus who were lured into buying this pos after it scored nicely there.

edit: Fricek I don't know why do you want to bother with this problematic screen when there's plenty of competition with IPS panels at similar price range, and especially when Counter Strike is one of the worstly affected games by this screen.

I believe there's an updated F2380 released already. It's been out in Korea since January? I saw it appear on the Canadian Bestbuy website just last week. It is the F2380MX which is supposed to fix issues that were on the original F2380. I am hoping to go and check if they have units out for display in store and see how they perform.

I am not sure if f2380mx is fixed, it looks just as f2380M = the same with speakers , add "X" F2380MX = speakers and white color

I know, I am choosing between Samsungs cPVA F2380 and TN P2370
I was decided for F2380 due better viewing angles and better colors (and changeable stand too), but after that I have seen articles about ghosting and crushing dark colors togather, I am considering rather TN P2370, because I dont want to watch movies "all in black" ( http://www.it.com.cn/diy/bigimg/2009/06/14/06/539511_33.html )

So I asked somebody, who has Samsung F2380 and knows Image Crush problem, if he or she tried set in OSD menu something (if there something is) to "turn off" color crushing, e.g. set "Normal mode" or "Movie mode" than "Standard mode"

Just wanna know if you can get rid of the Image crush on F2380

Maybe you don't realize, but the Dell from the left, the one from the above comparison comes with IPS panel (e-IPS to be more exact) as in Dell 2209WA. Maybe that TN won't have those crush problems, which I believe they're a side effect for the huge Contrast of F2380 - but definitively won't look like that Dell.

I am not sure if f2380mx is fixed, it looks just as f2380M = the same with speakers , add "X" F2380MX = speakers and white color

Same here, was tested by a guy from a local forum and he mentioned about this problems. Another difference compared to old model, this comes with HDMI.

Samsung is not was it used to be. I mentioned this fact several times, since back in the old days they use to make good panels and monitors as well and even their CRT's where pretty good. Now, they have some models with a modern design when it comes to bezel, but the inside and the panel is mostly cheap parts, yet the price is still competitive, which meas Samsung still takes a toll for "Samsung brand" even in times like this when HP and Dell cut some of their "brand price".

1. Could you make some photos from your F2380 pleaase ?? I d like to take a look how the movies work.

2. So, you said the ghosting is OK - you see it only if u want to see it ? :) So when ordinary work at PC, Files moving, Windows moving, Internet browsing, you wont see any ghosting?

Thank you

Pitch black room once calibrated

IMG_2446.jpg

Screen uniformity VS 2233rz (990:1 contras 0.10 black level)
IMG_2228.jpg

Ghosting is obvious if you own a faster monitor and have it around for comparison. The F2380 performs the same as 5ms TNs like the Samsung 2494 and T240.

I can not recommend the F2380 any more sense the release of the F2380mx which is better and does not suffer from black crush. Though it is 160$ more it has better overdrive, faster response time, and HDMI.

Pitch black room once calibrated

IMG_2446.jpg

Screen uniformity VS 2233rz (990:1 contras 0.10 black level)
IMG_2228.jpg

Ghosting is obvious if you own a faster monitor and have it around for comparison. The F2380 performs the same as 5ms TNs like the Samsung 2494 and T240.

I can not recommend the F2380 any more sense the release of the F2380mx which is better and does not suffer from black crush. Though it is 160$ more it has better overdrive, faster response time, and HDMI.

Frodo looks mighty fine and gay :D , looks nice dude.

So far I quite like the F2380mx for 360 gaming. I use a 120hz monitor for PC gaming so I will not test it with PC games. Black level is improved over the F2380, Eye One Match measured 0.00 @100 cmd2.

I live in British Columbia and purchased the F2380mx from BB. Check BB US site they probably have it.

I am going to make a new VS thread later comparing the two with calibration results and pixerpix an images.

So far I quite like the F2380mx for 360 gaming. I use a 120hz monitor for PC gaming so I will not test it with PC games. Black level is improved over the F2380, Eye One Match measured 0.00 @100 cmd2.

I live in British Columbia and purchased the F2380mx from BB. Check BB US site they probably have it.

I am going to make a new VS thread later comparing the two with calibration results and pixerpix an images.

I guess the MX model isnt out in the US, BB US doesnt show any F2380 models period and neither does Samsung US.

Back