Samsung does Android L

Looks at least as ugly as Google's version.

To be honest they're both so bad that I can't even tell much of a difference.

What is the obsession with the eye-searing white backgrounds on everything? And the trend towards making Android an overcomplicated trainwreck?

I guess at least they don't have those on-screen nav buttons, so that's a plus.

Do we need another thread to talk about how crappy TW is?

Oh, wait, yes... Oh, yes...

J/K

Samsung should just go pure GPE or, shit, they got the money, buy HTC. The software and design team at HTC is just WAY better than Samsung's. But Samsung does have the better manufacturing process.

Scamscum finds a way to screw up the beautiful Material Design :rolleyes:

Android 5.0 Lollipop, with the new 'Material Design' language is the most beautiful and artistic version of Android to date. Really cool style, and awesome animations, etc... and Samsung still has their godawful Touchwiz murdering it :mad:

Did Samsung even follow what Google wants in Material Design ? Because the Nexus stock version of 5.0 "L" does not look like this. The stock "L" on a Nexus looks one million times better, and actually vastly different and way way way better.

The Galaxy S5 and Note 4 are awesome hardware phones, great screens, good design, put man Touchwiz just sucks so bad. Those same phones running stock Android 5.0 Lollipop would rock :cool:

Did Samsung even follow what Google wants in Material Design ? Because the Nexus stock version of 5.0 "L" does not look like this. The stock "L" on a Nexus looks one million times better, and actually vastly different and way way way better.

They look practically the same. :confused:

I know this is moot, but who the hell puts text inside a box (EULA screens) without any padding?

What is the obsession with the eye-searing white backgrounds on everything?

Exactly! How in the world did they think that retina scorching white was a good choice?! Some phones use white screen as flashlight, FFS! Or if they don't care about ergonomics, why in the world would you put so much white on an OLED screen and destroy battery life?

Fortunately, there are always custom ROMs. Heck, on Samsung it's mandatory anyway.

Yeah i saw the ad its coming to india at very cheap entry level prices. What do expect with $50 cell phone?

Samsung used to have a dark UI perfect for AMOLED. But now Google has started to move to light theme, ICS was Holo dark and L/KitKat has a lot of white, so Samsung is doing the same.

Zero consistency in Android.

Looking smooth as all hell. Any word if they upgraded the web browser? I remember it being laggy on Note 3.

It's ugly as a mofo.

More and more everyday I'm starting to believe that Google as a company has jumped the shark.

Thank god people will theme it.

And the crayola color scheme.

It's like the designers got shit faced drunk in Miami and decided to use every gaudy color they saw while under the influence. /Like it was made for some fucked up episode of Miami Vice.

In can see someone pimping white framed glasses while carrying it and talking about how fab it is..

Is anyone surprised? Touchwiz is horrendous, I assumed there next iteration of it would be as well. To each there own though.

It's not just Touchwiz. ASOP L looks like shit too imo.

Thing it, it is somewhat colorful which is kind of nice...but the interface is readable in just about all conditions-apart from 100% darkness. Which let's face it, almost all of us groan about direct sunlit LCD readability of smartphones. Most of us are not using our phones with the lights off at night.

And that aspect is something that most Android themers (who make dark/black themes) fail to grasp quite miserably. What good are all those icons if the black backgrounds render the interface entirely unreadable on a street on a sunny day.

So, Google should offer alternatives. After all, are they catering to their customer base or not?

Actually, the answer to that question is no. They don't seem to give two fucks what.the public wants, only their own teams and focus groups. On some level it's hubris, because they are more concerned with being trendy, being a trend setter, staying on the edge of relevancy.

Will last years flagships, the S4 and Note 3 get Lollipop ? Yes, but when ? And how will it be ?

Scamscum sucks at updates. First the Note 4 and S5 will get the 5.0 update within a couple months after Google officially releases it, with a bastardized version of Touchwiz over Lollipop I say by January or maybe earlier the N4 and S5 get Touchwiz Lollipop.

And then older phones like the Note 3 and S4 will also get it later down the road, and if you are on a U.S. Carrier Note 3, you will have to wait even longer for them to push the update out.

But I bet my left nut, the Note 3 update will NOT look the same as the Note 4 update. Samsung are famous for that, older phones having the older Touchwiz style still. Look at right now, the S5 was released with Android 4.4.3 ? And the S5 had the cooler nicely revised looking Touchwiz, the flatter design, etc... But did the Note 3 ever get that revised looking Touchwiz to match the S5 or Note 4 style ? Nope, the Note 3 still has that nasty Gingerbread theme Touchwiz. Why haven't Samsung updated the Note 3 Touchwiz to match the same new theme / style the S5 has at least ?

The S4 and Note 3 still have the ugly outdated looking Touchwiz still, even though both phones are officially running Android 4.4.4 now, same as the S5 and Note 4. But the S5 and N4 have the newly revised better looking Touchwiz. And the S4 and n3 won't see that new Touchwiz design, why ? because of Scamscum.

The Galaxy S5 and Note 4 are awesome hardware phones, great screens, good design, put man Touchwiz just sucks so bad. Those same phones running stock Android 5.0 Lollipop would rock :cool:

It's called the Google edition (or Google Play Edition). No Touchwiz.

It's called the Google edition (or Google Play Edition). No Touchwiz.

Samsung and Google haven't made a GPE phone in almost two years, the S4 back in April 2013 being the last one. There is no S5 or Note 4 Google Play Edition.

The worst thing is that Samsung phones no longer offer unlocked boot loaders. Now they have restrictive crap like Knox. Back when S3 was launched, all Samsung phones (except S3 on Verizon) had an unlock able bootloader. Maybe carriers are to blame for this.

Also Samsung doesn't release code for their proprietary drivers, and Android in general is a pain to work with, as a result AOSP roms never work well on Samsung phones.

I really wish we'd get their panels and some neat TW features on a pure Android phone.

Agree, seems 2012 was the last year for good Samsung phones, that could be Rooted + ROM'd right out of the box. Those days are long gone now, and so is my business, never buying a Samsung phone again until they change their ways.

The Note 2 in 2012 was a beast, I had the ATT version, and Root was available from day 1, and custom Recovery too. With great ROM's for the ATT Note 2.

Then it all changed after that :)

2013 the Note 3 took like three months just to get basic root, and to this day, 12 months later never got a custom Recovery.

The S5 and Note 4 in 2014 are still more of the same, locked down hard, Knox, etc... F. you Scamscum.

Samsung phones on Tmobile do have unlocked bootloaders. Knox does not prevent unlocking, it just shows a flag at boot time to inform you that the phone has been modified.

The Tmo note 4 already has custom kernels, recoveries, and roms.

Your beef is with AT&T, your carrier is the one enforcing security measures. (And we all know why)

Samsung phones on Tmobile do have unlocked bootloaders. Knox does not prevent unlocking, it just shows a flag at boot time to inform you that the phone has been modified.

The Tmo note 4 already has custom kernels, recoveries, and roms.

Your beef is with AT&T, your carrier is the one enforcing security measures. (And we all know why)

That is not all it does by a long shot, hoss.

Knox is part of an active security system on the handset to prevent modification of the OS. With Knox active you cannot attain root privileges (i.e. modify the system partition). The locked bootloaders are the nail in the coffin.

Then there's the fact that for consumer handsets there's ZERO reasons for Knox to start with...other than bricking people's warranties.

Back