Samsung Class Action Lawsuit (finally!)

AMDinside

n00b
Has your Samsung LCD or plasma HDTV experienced problems turning on?

Girard Gibbs LLP is currently conducting an investigation involving the power supply boards on Samsung LCD and plasma HDTVs. Some consumers complain that their TVs have experienced clicking noises, power cycling, and delays in turning on. These issues become progressively worse and eventually result in the failure of the TV.

Many consumers report being forced to repair their TV at their own expense, usually costing $300-$500 to have local TV repair centers replace malfunctioned components of the power supply.

If your LCD or plasma TV has been experiencing these issues, or if you would like more information about our Samsung HDTV investigation, please fill out the form on the link below or call toll-free (866) 981-4800.

http://www.girardgibbs.com/SamsungHDTV.asp?gclid=CL-Y2r2J4KQCFRNSgwod6UJyKg

Last edited:
Yes, some people can fix the caps problem themselves but this is about doing the right thing for the consumer & Samsung has been looking the other way about this issue for a very long time.

Yes, some people can fix the caps problem themselves but this is about doing the right thing for the consumer & Samsung has been looking the other way about this issue for a very long time.

When mine went bad, which was maybe 4 weeks ago I spoke with them on an online chat. They told me that with my model etc even though its out of warranty that they repair some of them and pay for it. I was suppose to actually call them during business hours and get more info and they would decide then if mine would be covered. I did some research to find out how to fix mine, since it was so simple I just went that route.

I fixed mine as well. I had two of the caps that went bad and were replaced with larger better caps. I didn't trust my soldering skills so I paid $2 for the caps and took the board to a tv shop to have the caps replaced for $8 for both.

I think this is one definite case where a class action is needed as it affects almost their entire line of LCD televisions through several years production span.

thanks for the link. A friend of mines Samsung TV died on him about a month or two ago. I'll pass this along.

I have a really old 19" Samsung LCD that went belly up a month before the warranty ended. But they did fix it.

good to know,
My Sammy LCD powers off randomly, wont turn on (power cycles) and sometimes will power off if i change a channel. the scary part is all my tvs are Samsungs. 3x 2494SW LCD Monitors, 1x 32" LN**** LCD TV, 1x 26" LN**** LCD TV.

Great...another tort lawyer wanting to fill up their list of disgruntled customers for their case. :(

Great...another tort lawyer wanting to fill up their list of disgruntled customers for their case. :(

Some of us don't wanna be a "disgruntled customer" & not do anything about it.
I'm glad we have the right to sue in this country.

I just wanna add,,,

Just because theres way to fix the problem, doesn't mean there shouldn't be lawsuit.
Samsung need to be responsible for their lack of quality parts that their TV uses regardless if those parts are replaceable by the end user.

http://www.girardgibbs.com/SamsungHDTV.asp?gclid=CL-Y2r2J4KQCFRNSgwod6UJyKg

I FULLY agree and it's not like they don't charge a PREMIUM for their TV's compared to others. I'm leaning toward some LG TV's in the future just because of price per features.

Some of us don't wanna be a "disgruntled customer" & not do anything about it.
I'm glad we have the right to sue in this country.

Not to mention if we weren't savvy to fix the issue you'd have to replace the entire IP board. Which Samsung charges 400$ for. Which FYI in case anyone is wondering is a 180$ part (which is a fucking ridiculously cheap piece of PCB worth probably about 20$, tops).

Replacing the whole board would have entailed about 30 minutes worth of work, too. Pull two ribbon cables and half a dozen screws after taking out the 15 or so bezel screws.

Screw Samsung, I'm about to buy a Sony TV. At least when Sony's shit bellies up they offer to upgrade you into a new TV, sometimes even fixing the old one as well... That's customer service. Not charging you a ridiculous rate for fixing shit.

BTW, mine died just outside of a week out of the 1 year warranty.. The caps that I replaced were blatantly of shit quality. I couldn't even find the company who manufactured them online.. High quality larger ones that I used to replace it were under a buck for 3.. Being that much of a cheap fuck tells me they figured it would eventually die, and then people would either buy a new TV possibly being theirs.. or pay them to repair it.

Read these forums, (or check AVS); it's not like LG is some saint either. Or you can pay a higher price for the Sony nameplate.

The truth is that there is no quality in anything any more. It is all about the all-mighty profit margin.

Sorry that is just how it is

Dave

Back