Samsung CHG70 32' - Problems with firmware update ?

Temo2019

n00b
Hello everyone,I'm looking into buying this monitor,my new pc specs are following:
Gigabyte Z390 Ultra
RTX 2080 Asus ROG OC
9700k + be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
16GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200
Samsung 970 Evo + 4TB HDD
Corsair RM850x (2018 edition) + be quiet silent base 800

I've read that some people on Samsung forum have problems updating firmware of 32' version of this monitor,because after update,windows recognizes it as 27' model,hdr goes off and also led circle behind + monitor goes very hot.

Thing is I need it to be g-sync compatible since I own rtx 2080,can some owners of chg70 32' confirm that freesync on this monitor works perfectly with nvidia gpu-s?,especially rtx 2080/2080ti series? Thanks in advance.

I'm also open to another monitor suggestions,but since in my country is very limited choice,one of best solutions is this monitor,I can test it how I want in the shop + I get 3 year guaranty...

P.S I have desk of 80x140cm and distance between monitor and eye balls is approx 3-3.5 feet

I own this monitor for about 18 months now and have updated the firmware without any problems. It works great in freesync and freesync2 with the vega cards in one of my boxes. I also have a bunch of Nvidia cards , but have not tried it running freesync with those.
I would imagine it will run just as well with the nvidia cards. Its a great monitor.

I own this monitor for about 18 months now and have updated the firmware without any problems. It works great in freesync and freesync2 with the vega cards in one of my boxes. I also have a bunch of Nvidia cards , but have not tried it running freesync with those.
I would imagine it will run just as well with the nvidia cards. Its a great monitor.

Yes,but that doesn't answer my question.

I owned the c32hg70 last month for 5 days and I have a 1080 TI.

I was looking for a monitor that do it all for me which included gaming, watching movies, Internet and work. The monitor specs had fit the bill and I was particulary excitied for the deep blacks for movies since it's a VA panel.

Firmware updates: You don't have to worry about this. Samsung released the firmware update for the 27" model before the 32" model. Impatient people used that 27" update on their 32" model. This caused the extra heat and caused it to show as the 27" model. If you buy this monitor now it will have the latest firmware. If not, then you just update using the official 32" firmware release.

Gaming: Games look fantasic on this montior and G-Sync worked great. However, I found that some dark areas in a game would glow when I looked around with G-Sync enabled. For example, the border design around a door or wall would glow when I looked around in a dark tomb in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It really bugged me. I disabled G-Sync and the issue went away. I was easily able to replicate the issue. I only tested this in Odyssey so maybe it was only an issue with it. Even with G-Sync off the game ran great with no tearing. I figured i'd just leave G-Sync off at least for the one game. I tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider with G-Sync and it ran great with no issues.

Movies: They looked awesome. Blacks were deep and colors were amazing. I used the beginning scene of Black Panther as a test. It's a shot of space with stars on the background and the stars were clear with no color banding or artifacts around them. Before this monitor I purchased an Asus monitor with a TN panel and this same scene was horrible. There were soft grey blocks around the stars. Never again with a TN panel. I was worried this might happen and I sent it back the next day.

HDR: Didn't test it very much. It did make Odyssey darker and not look right. This is the very low end of HDR and I never expected it to perform well. I was never really going to use it anyway.

Internet/Work: This is where the real issue was that made me decide to RMA. I was reading that some people said that text looked funny or odd. I experienced the same. It wasn't all text though. Text in games was just fine. It was text in a google search for example. It only seemed to affect Ariel and Times New Roman fonts. The letter 'H' would look like it had double lines in the middle. Sure enough, zooming in on it with my cell did indeed show a double line. I could not stand it. I called Samsung support and spoke with someone that I'm positive had no knowledge about the monitor. They immediately suggested RMA through Samsung. Told him I would just RMA from NewEgg. Turn out that NewEgg will no longer carry the monitor and they gave me a full refund. Not sure what that is saying. Maybe the 27" version of this monitor doesn't have this issue?

This is a screenshot of the issue:
https://imgur.com/5xW5rk4

I have come to find out that there is no perfect monitor for me in my price range. OLED monitor will probably do it but they are so expensive.

I have an older IPS monitor today that will eventually become a secondary monitor. It's nice, but it's only 60hz and doesn't have deep blacks like a VA panel monitor. I have come to the conclusion that I need a nice IPS gaming monitor. If I really find I need the deep blacks then I'll get a 32" - 40" TV for just that and connect it to my PC and use its built-in streaming. Saw some decent 4K Vizio TVs for $300. It's crazy the price different between and TVs and computer monitors.

My C32HG70 doesn't work that well. The monitor's Standard FreeSync setting has a range of 120-144hz and cannot be changed by CRU. The Ultimate setting is 43-144hz, but the flashing, flickering, and extreme brightness changes make games unplayable for me. Others may be able to tolerate it better.

Attachments

• 188752_lolrange.png
    188752_lolrange.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back