Samsung behind Snapdragon overheating rumours?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
So sayeth SemiAccurate.

This is why we say Samsung is scared, they have good reason to be frightened. With the launches of the S6, G4, and countless ODM Snapdragon 810 products happening in the coming weeks, what can they do? If you can’t win on merit, FUD. They are. The thoroughness of the FUD and smear campaigns strongly intone that Samsung is going to take a pounding during the next product cycle and that they know it too. If they had a winning product, they wouldn’t have gone to the extraordinary lengths they did to attack LG and the ODMs via the proxy of Qualcomm.

After non-existent developer support for Exynos, locking down of the devices, removal of SD slot and removable battery and increasingly shitty TW, I see no reason to choose them over any of the competition. They've been playing Apple in the Android world for far too long. Hope to see their market share go down because nothing good comes from blind brand loyalty.

After non-existent developer support for Exynos, locking down of the devices, removal of SD slot and removable battery and increasingly shitty TW, I see no reason to choose them over any of the competition. They've been playing Apple in the Android world for far too long. Hope to see their market share go down because nothing good comes from blind brand loyalty.

Don't own a Samsung phone and never have (currently on 5c) but MAN does that S6 Edge look sexy... it's a GORGEOUS phone.

My Samsung S5 with android 4.4.4 will last me quite a while looking at the new S6. I don't even think I'll upgrade to lollipop anytime soon.

The Snapdragon 810 overheating issue is true though...

LG said it has countered the heating issues by using a special design.

Why would LG say that if the Snapdragon 810 really didn't have that issue?

Qualcomm is a pretty much stuck in a bad situation.

They've broken their ties with TSMC and is now partnering with Samsung.

And what kind of source is SemiAccurate? It looks like a rumor-filled site with no evidence.

And what kind of source is SemiAccurate? It looks like a rumor-filled site with no evidence.

While far from 100% accurate, they have broken many tech stories and scandals well in advance of others.

While far from 100% accurate, they have broken many tech stories and scandals well in advance of others.

And also gotten a fair amount wrong as well.... this story could be true, could be false. That is the problem with rumour mill blogs.

More accurately throttling rather than overheating since built-in preventative measures won't let it overheat. Issue is TSMC 20nm isn't appropriate for the target SoC and frequency. They can solve it by down clocking but performance and benchmarks will suffer or wait for Snapdragon 820 built on Samsung 14nm. Architecturally Exynos 7420 and Snapdragon 810 are identical for CPU and adequate for GPU so for the majority it's a non-issue while consistent unthrottled performance and battery life of 14nm are king.

yeah... I still haven't seen reports of the Galaxy S5 burning up and setting fires yet... correct me if I'm wrong.

Throttling is what every modern day cpu does. And obviously a 14/16nm process is better than a 20nm process in terms of heat. No one is arguing about that. The issue is was this overheating issue as bad as it was rumored to be. All signs point to no. The Snapdragon 810 runs cooler and is more energy efficient than its predecessors. And obviously the Snapdragons 810 early samples demos had some issues, hence it wasn't ready for release. But the issue is no where near as great as the rumors portrayed it to be. Samsung has a history of spreading FUD and lies about its competitors. This is the reason why it's highly suspicious that Samsung had deliberately spread FUD to get the US carriers, who demand or at least used to demand Qualcomm chips, to consider the Exynos again.

Fudzilla is still around? I remember that guy from the early ati vs nvidia days. What a quack.

yeah... I still haven't seen reports of the Galaxy S5 burning up and setting fires yet... correct me if I'm wrong.

Throttling is what every modern day cpu does. And obviously a 14/16nm process is better than a 20nm process in terms of heat. No one is arguing about that. The issue is was this overheating issue as bad as it was rumored to be. All signs point to no. The Snapdragon 810 runs cooler and is more energy efficient than its predecessors. And obviously the Snapdragons 810 early samples demos had some issues, hence it wasn't ready for release. But the issue is no where near as great as the rumors portrayed it to be. Samsung has a history of spreading FUD and lies about its competitors. This is the reason why it's highly suspicious that Samsung had deliberately spread FUD to get the US carriers, who demand or at least used to demand Qualcomm chips, to consider the Exynos again.

and could have been just blown out of proportion by media to gain more traffic
runs hotter than exynos ? IT"S GOING TO BLOW UP

No doubt the media is dramatizing it for clicks because it'll be stupid to burn your bridge especially when other products still use Qualcomm like, you know, Gear S, Note 4, future products...

Not surprised at all.

Samsung has a long history of spreading FUD and hiring forums writer to attack/blackmailing other competitors. They got into lawsuit and fine for multiple times already.
They were even behind the HTC Sense source code stealing to China.
This is the company who did all the shady stuff in the back, what do you expect? :rolleyes:

They are legitimate technical(not even software related) reasons why SD cards are omitted from smartphones especially it seems on the newer S6 apparently.

They are legitimate technical(not even software related) reasons why SD cards are omitted from smartphones especially it seems on the newer S6 apparently.

And by technical he means "We can make more money if we don't have an SD card slot because will buy the larger capacity phone"

And by technical he means "We can make more money if we don't have an SD card slot because will buy the larger capacity phone"

Or subscribe to one of the various carrier, phone manufacturer, or OS provider, cloud services.

We're not talking about Apple here where you pay a premium for crappy TLC. UFS 2.0 is best of class throughput and reliability. And, uSD card is even way slower than internal storage.

storagespeedyeu7n.png

Or subscribe to one of the various carrier, phone manufacturer, or OS provider, cloud services.

speaking of cloud
S6 and S6 edge is suppose to offer 2 years of 115gb cloud storage with one drive for free

Doubtful but it doesn't hurt to try. My OneDrive shows 129GB because the latest 100GB offer stacked on top of other free offer(s).

Nice. Only thing is when they expire but supposedly they become read only which isn't so bad. Or, you fork over the cash but the plans are very cheap.

Back