Samsung 970 Pro/Evo compatibility question

Darlok

Limp Gawd
Guys.. I am on a 3.5 yr old system. I have https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pYyFf7/asus-motherboard-maximusviihero motherboard and am trying to upgrade my 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD with Samsung 970 with bigger capacity. Should I be getting the EVO version of the PRO version and will that motherboard utilize full speeds of the 970 Pro or the Evo? I mainly play video games. 256GB is good but I'm installing 40+GB games and i'm out of space...

Thanks

Main difference between pro and evo is one MLC (more reliable very slightly faster) and other uses TLC

in any case your mobo is limited to pice 2.0 2x (so your m.2 nvme ssd will not go above 1200mb/s but will not affect random access speeds) Note this is still 2-3 times faster then a sata based ssd still

Depending on your money you can still get far larger SATA based ssds for lower price point or m.2 sata based ssd as that slot supports mvme and m.2 sata, you be able to clone the hdd if its a sata based ssd, if you get a nvme ssd for booting from you need to fresh copy of Windows can't clone to it

up to a point you not notice the difference between nvme and sata ssds apart from in benchmarks and maybe 20-30 second longer install times for games (but apps and games loading times offers hardly noticeable using nvme or more so the 970 unless your doing 4k video Editing)

the different going between a HDD and a SSD is night and day going between a SSD and a nvme SSD is hardy noticeable because of the most of the slowness on a hdd is due to random data access, ssds love random access ( in a lot of cases it'll be more like a pill effect that you think it is going faster when it's really just a fresh install of Windows )

I only got a 1tb nvme ssd because it was same price as a sata 1tb ssd (used Toshiba xg3/4 dell oem so I can get firmware updates still, even works with the OCZ ssd tool box monitoring software, manual firmware updates have to come from dell thought )

Wish fix the forums so it not interfering with the autocorrect

Real-world, you're not going to notice any performance difference between the two, so consider the Evo. The Pro has a hair's edge in speed specs and greater endurance, but neither is a factor in a gaming box. Comparison here. Also, keep in mind that your mainboard's m.2 slot is PCIe 2, so that's going to cap any NVMe SSD's performance to ~2 GB/s.

Also, consider simply getting another SATA SSD. If all you need the space for is game storage, real-world a SATA SSD is not going to be noticeably slower than a NMVe unit. Pricing on SATA SSDs has been dropping lately.

Main difference between pro and evo is one MLC (more reliable very slightly faster) and other uses TLC
By more reliable do you mean more endurance? If not, can you point me in the direction of info that demonstrates TLC fails at a higher rate than MLC? Thanks.

my samsung 840 evo died and 2 others

TLC and higher (like QLC) drives will always fail/wear out sooner then MLC based SSDs, also far higher chance that a TLC drive will fail sooner then MLC one

Real-world, you're not going to notice any performance difference between the two, so consider the Evo. The Pro has a hair's edge in speed specs and greater endurance, but neither is a factor in a gaming box. Comparison here. Also, keep in mind that your mainboard's m.2 slot is PCIe 2, so that's going to cap any NVMe SSD's performance to ~2 GB/s.

Also, consider simply getting another SATA SSD. If all you need the space for is game storage, real-world a SATA SSD is not going to be noticeably slower than a NMVe unit. Pricing on SATA SSDs has been dropping lately.

more like 1gb/s as that mobo is limited to PCIE M.2 2.0 2x

my samsung 840 evo died and 2 others

TLC and higher (like QLC) drives will always fail/wear out sooner then MLC based SSDs, also far higher chance that a TLC drive will fail sooner then MLC one
So anecdotal? I understand write endurance but that is not a failure when it's expected (more akin to planned obsolescence).

more like 1gb/s as that mobo is limited to PCIE M.2 2.0 2x

Ugh, yeah. The manual and manufacturer's page state 10 Gb/s, i.e., ~1 GB/s real-world. Given that SATA3 is 600 MB/s and NVMe's fairly significant price premium, it seems a bit absurd to go with a NVMe SSD unless maybe a system upgrade is planned for the near-future.

(Side note, the PCIe on that board is a bit of a mess IMHO, but that may be more on Intel than Asus.)

Back