Samsung 940BW (19" WS w/ 4ms response time), Thoughts??

What did you use to test for dead pixels?
Congrats!

Infest said:
Hell yea!!!!! Came from a 15 inch Dell to this badboy, got it at BB for $227 OTD. Fry's had it there for only 249.99 but i was going use my $30 dollar gift certif. i had, but went to BB once i saw it online for $209. Once i got her home i tested for dead pixel's and black lighting issues, good news is that are no dead pixel's and only slight back lighting issues only up top but not enough to bother me. Loaded up CS:S and UT 2k4 at native resolution of 1440x900 and was just totally blown away. FPS of 60 and above on all my games, higher details i can now see fully. Will never go back to CRT and non-widescreen. Samsung just got a new loyal fan, i'm as happy as a lil boy on christmas. BTW im hooked up though DVI. Also what can i do now since this monitor has HDCP connections? My buddy from work told me i could get a newer HD cable box and use the dvi out to hookup to my monitor to get HD to my monitor, is this true? Any folks here with more knowledge about this to explain to me fully?

:D

I just opened up PS did full screen basic colors. Black,white,green,yellow,red,brown,blue. There were no ghosting nither when i played some games also WOOTWOOT! i just want to know what i can do with a HDCP compliaint monitor.

HardUp4HardWare said:
One problem is that using digital connection makes the screen go all wonky. Ihad it set up ok at 1440x900 16 bit color and 75mhz but then I launched GW and bam everything went screwy. Had to switch to VGA. Anybody have any advice?

Still VGA mode is still great. No problem.

I might want to get a monitor arm to bring it off the desk and a little closer to my face.

Love it.

Oh, BTW Best buy had this on sale for $209, but they were out of stock yesterday, I checked back this morning and they had tons, but they didn't putthem over near the other monitors.

To everyone having their lcd go "Wonky" (as stated by the above poster :D ) this can be easily remedied by running the monitor at 60hz. DVI cables are only spec'ed at a maximium of 60hz, so if you wanna get higher hz you need to have a lower resolution so as not to overload the bandwidth on the cable. This is what was told to me on another forum as I was having the same issues. I notice no difference between 60hz and 75 hz and my CS:S ownage has yet to be affected :D

Glad to see this is onsale again, if i wasn't a poor college student i would surely pick up another and get some dual monitor action going.

Infest said:
i just want to know what i can do with a HDCP compliaint monitor.

As for HDCP, this is a new copyright thing, so when all those new blue-ray hd-dvd discs come out with this copyright protection, as long as you are using vista and have a hdcp graphics card you will be able to watch it. Correct me if i am wrong, but this is what I have picked up about HDCP.

Glad everyone is enjoying the monitor, cause I sure am :)

Infest said:
My buddy from work told me i could get a newer HD cable box and use the dvi out to hookup to my monitor to get HD to my monitor, is this true? Any folks here with more knowledge about this to explain to me fully?

Yes this is true, just need a dvi to hdmi cable. HDCP will also come in handy here when it starts to get implemented (tv shows etc).

Posting now using the DVI AND at 75hz. No wonkyness here.

PS the wife wants me to build her a comp just for The Sims 2 with this same monitor :)

on the LG how are teh colors because i had that same monitor and the flesh tones were messed up and ic ouldn't get the colors right

I was able to run the desktop in 1440x900 with 32bit color and 75mhz,
it was when I switched to games that everything went wonky.
Not sure why because I wasn't able to see the settings in the game.

Also, oddly, I was not able to fix it in safe mode, I had to switch to vga.

I am sure I can fix it, I will try the 60mhz advice some time.

Infest said:
Posting now using the DVI AND at 75hz. No wonkyness here.

PS the wife wants me to build her a comp just for The Sims 2 with this same monitor :)

is this in games or just at desktop? also when you go the OSD menu of the monitor and you go to the properties does it say you are at 75hz?

HardUp4HardWare said:
I was able to run the desktop in 1440x900 with 32bit color and 75mhz,
it was when I switched to games that everything went wonky.
Not sure why because I wasn't able to see the settings in the game.

Also, oddly, I was not able to fix it in safe mode, I had to switch to vga.

I am sure I can fix it, I will try the 60mhz advice some time.

Yeah, I was able to run it in desktop but when I went to play a game, that is when it all screwed up for me.

have you guys seen the samsung 940MW ? i saw one at staples
it looked nice for a 19inchws had a tv tuner and speakers built on it but it looked nice

freakycody said:
is this in games or just at desktop? also when you go the OSD menu of the monitor and you go to the properties does it say you are at 75hz?

Both in game AND desktop, in the monitor properties it also says 75hz. Hope this helps some :)

Well, after playing FEAR for a couple hours I can say I love this monitor.

A couple of the scenes seemed washed out, so I switched to one of the preset brightness settings and that was it. It looks great.

I went back and tried DVI and it wont work, I think it may be my 850XT card that is the issue.
VGA/analog works great though. I would rather go digital, but oh well.

Desktop looks fine in DVI, but when I boot up FEAR the machine just hangs, or I get an unreadable messy screen screw up.

Again, it must be my machine/card.

I just got the 940BW and i have to say i love it. Only thing that bothered me was the brightness...and OMG its bright as the sun. I have to set it to like 11-12 brightness or i see a dark blur in my eye for hours.

I got my games to work at 1440x900 so no problems there. I also would of like to see some height adjustment on the stand. Maybe some USB's on the side, but for the price you cant beat it. I was lucky and got a screen with no dead pixels at all.

I was wondering, what brightness, contrast gamma settings are you guys using?....its insane how bright this thing gets.

mmm..... the Highlife, some cheap yet tasty beer. Not any pussy light beer. :D

As for setting I have not changed anything but the brightness. I am prolly burning my eyes out but I have mine at 60 since it seems to me if I go lower i lose some of my vibrant colors. But 60 is not bad for me, have had it at 60 for like 2 months with no headaches or sore eyes even after 3.5 hour CS:S playing and some serious paper writing for school.

freakycody said:
mmm..... the Highlife, some cheap yet tasty beer. Not any pussy light beer. :D

As for setting I have not changed anything but the brightness. I am prolly burning my eyes out but I have mine at 60 since it seems to me if I go lower i lose some of my vibrant colors. But 60 is not bad for me, have had it at 60 for like 2 months with no headaches or sore eyes even after 3.5 hour CS:S playing and some serious paper writing for school.

wow, i turned it up to like 55 and my face was tinted yellow for a hour. It was like the sun at that brightness.

nisstyre, I know what your problem is with the resolution. I have a switch box as well. I have my PC and Xbox360 hooked up and switch between the two. When you boot up your computer you must switch your box to display that computer on your monitor or else your computer would think that you are using a 4:3 monitor.

Anyways, as for the brightness, wow, you guys have it set to so high. I have mine set at 30 LOL. When I play my Xbox360 I just switch to one of the pre-set (Game) and the brightness is at 100 which is too bright but it alouds me to see better when playing Splinter Cell Double Agent and I wouldn't have to change the brightness everytime I switch between my PC and Xbox360.

Hi

I'm new and looking for a monitor for my 360. I've been considering this one, the LG L194wt or the Hanns-G HW191D. It seems that the Hanns-G is the best for my money as it is £30 cheaper than the Samsung and has a better contrast. I'm still considering the Samsung though. What's the contrast like on it? I've heard it's not particularly great for games like Splinter Cell.

Thanks for any help.

JohnyJ said:
Hi

I'm new and looking for a monitor for my 360. I've been considering this one, the LG L194wt or the Hanns-G HW191D. It seems that the Hanns-G is the best for my money as it is £30 cheaper than the Samsung and has a better contrast. I'm still considering the Samsung though. What's the contrast like on it? I've heard it's not particularly great for games like Splinter Cell.

Thanks for any help.

My choice was similar...i had to choose between the LG and the Samsung, i went with the samsung. Why? Well to me the LG looks like it has a yellowish tint to it. Honestly, to me the Samsung looks like a better picture.

Any of you guys know if this monitor has Sync on green? I was told that I needed that to be able to play some of the videogame systems with a component -> vga adaptor.

Newegg does not have the 940BW, however they do have a 941BW does anyone know what, if any, difference between the two models is?

ColbyD said:
Newegg does not have the 940BW, however they do have a 941BW does anyone know what, if any, difference between the two models is?

It looks the exact same (specs and all). I think it must be a newer revision or maybe they just changed the number to correspond with their ##1 designation for their latest lcds.

Whats the difference between 940bw 941bw 920bw? better stand? DVI cable include? The PDF manual list those 3 models in one file. Thanks

After reading through the forums and comparing the 940BW and the L194WT, I decided to go with the Samsung. I also compared both at a local Best Buy store (the only one around that had any 940BWs left).

I am incredibly happy with this panel. It is beautiful. The features and adjustments are great. I viewed during normal desktop conditions, watching DVDs, and gaming on my X800 through DVI interface. I have been playing Gothic 3 in widescreen and it works great.

I am adding a screenshot of my desktop on a cheap 3 megapixel camera. I am no photographer, but it still looks great (even better in person). The only issue I have seen is trying to exit certain games. The first night, the screen would go corrupted when exiting a game's video mode and going back to the desktop. I haven't seen any since and it may depend on the game.

940bw.jpg

full picture- Samsung 940BW_DVI_1440x900

sweet, I have been using mine for a few weeks and I just love it. way better than my old (expensive) crt.

I have had problems with DVI, and gave up, VGA is pretty much perfect anyway.

HardUp4HardWare said:
sweet, I have been using mine for a few weeks and I just love it. way better than my old (expensive) crt.

I have had problems with DVI, and gave up, VGA is pretty much perfect anyway.

U still having issues... maybe you should RMA it. Or is it u want 75hz (can't remember)?

I should plug my vga cable in and see if i can tell the difference....

Johnyj, the contrast is great, I play Splinter Cell Double Agent on my Xbox360 with the 940 widescreen monitor all the time! The only thing is the brightness, u gotta tune down the brightness from 100 to around 30-50. I am very happy with my purchase, I get to use my computer and my Xbox360 on one monitor, which saves me money on getting a expensive HDTV and saves me room since my bedroom is small. The preset settings for movie and game is way too bright. I won't evcen bother using them. I think the presets are useless. Some of it are too dark, and some are too bright.

guardianFlash said:
Johnyj, the contrast is great, I play Splinter Cell Double Agent on my Xbox360 with the 940 widescreen monitor all the time! The only thing is the brightness, u gotta tune down the brightness from 100 to around 30-50. I am very happy with my purchase, I get to use my computer and my Xbox360 on one monitor, which saves me money on getting a expensive HDTV and saves me room since my bedroom is small. The preset settings for movie and game is way too bright. I won't evcen bother using them. I think the presets are useless. Some of it are too dark, and some are too bright.

Is it noticeable that you are playing on a 16:10 ratio lcd rather than 16:9 (which is what the 360 uses)? I guess what I am saying, is the stretching noticeable or bothersome?

We just picked up a pair of them yesterday.
We're taking one back to exchange it for a 4x3 LCD since the editing machine we are using ti on only does up to 1280x1024 on the DVI port. I took it home today to try it out on my system (I am currently using it) and it is much much brighter than my Samsung 997DF CRT monitors that are only 1.5 years old.
I am really tempted to just buy this one from my boss, rather then just return it.

freakycody said:
Is it noticeable that you are playing on a 16:10 ratio lcd rather than 16:9 (which is what the 360 uses)? I guess what I am saying, is the stretching noticeable or bothersome?

I have my Xbox360 set at 1280x768, which is 16:10. I see no difference, looks fantastic. The default sharpness for the 940BW is 60, I have mines set at 64 which gives me chrispy clear picture like a HDTV, any higher would make it look chunky.

Freakycody, or anyone else who have the 940BW, what brightness you have your monitor set at? I can't decide should I leave the brightness at 50 or 30. Not sure what brightness is suppose to be good for the eyes. One of the preset(Internet) have the brightness at only 22, while game and movie is 100. A huge difference. The Movie preset is REALLY tough on my eyes. The contrast is way too high, but the color is fantastic. Don't know why it gives me a headache and makes my eyes really tire.

guardianFlash said:
I have my Xbox360 set at 1280x768, which is 16:10. I see no difference, looks fantastic. The default sharpness for the 940BW is 60, I have mines set at 64 which gives me chrispy clear picture like a HDTV, any higher would make it look chunky.

Freakycody, or anyone else who have the 940BW, what brightness you have your monitor set at? I can't decide should I leave the brightness at 50 or 30. Not sure what brightness is suppose to be good for the eyes. One of the preset(Internet) have the brightness at only 22, while game and movie is 100. A huge difference. The Movie preset is REALLY tough on my eyes. The contrast is way too high, but the color is fantastic. Don't know why it gives me a headache and makes my eyes really tire.

I have my brightness set at 60. I feel it needs to be this high to give me good vibrant colors, plus I still think has pretty good blacks. I game (CS:S), surf the net, watch movies, and type papers all at the same settings. Everything is default but the brightness which is 60 (instead of 100).

guardianFlash said:

1280x800 is 16:10 so i guess what I am asking is there any noticeable stretching? The lcd has to stretch your picture 32 pixels vertically to make it full screen. Is this noticeable (circles look like ovals etc)?

It is not noticable. I dont feel any vertical stretch.What is 1360x768? If 1280x768 or 1280x800 is 16:10. The highest resolution the Xbox360 can be set to is 1360x768.

I'm tuning up my brightness to 60 just like you LOL.

guardianFlash said:
It is not noticable. I dont feel any vertical stretch.What is 1360x768? If 1280x768 or 1280x800 is 16:10. The highest resolution the Xbox360 can be set to is 1360x768.

not sure.... if you do the math 1280x768 is 15:9 (5:3) but 1360x768 is like 85:48 (no clue what that is similar to). Well cool, since there is no noticieable stretching, I won't be afraid to pic up a 360 when I get some money.

guardianFlash said:

I've got mine set at 50 all around. Though, I may have to dbl-check the game setting, since I used the Auto button when I was in CoH.

Well I missed out on the Best Buy 931bw major sale on Friday (all sold out in 1 hour at 2 stores nearby).

Back to the orginal game plan, order a 941bw from NewEgg but there is only one feature that is of some importance and neither newegg or Samsung has it listed.

Is the 941BTW model HDCP compliant on the DVI input??

I know the 940BW was/is (BB had a few of those but why get the 940bw for more than the 941bw?) and I know the new 931bw is. But the 941 is devoid of any mention of HDCP on Samsung's mnfg spec page! :confused:

Does anyone has this information either as a reliable website or by personally having the 941bw and using a DVD player HDCP compliant DVI output?

I'm looking to order from NewEgg ASAP to get the order in before the Dec 3rd deadline on the mail-in rebate (if I miss this other models come into similar pricing).

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

Beaker1024 said:
Well I missed out on the Best Buy 931bw major sale on Friday (all sold out in 1 hour at 2 stores nearby).

If you want to get ill, yesterday (Black Friday) I went to one of the local BBs.

I was going to pickup the 19" Widescreen monitor they had available. They had two different models, the 931BW and the 940BW, one of each left. I asked the salesperson which one was the $129.99 monitor. They pointed to one, I put the other back, and stood in line for the next hour.

Got to the front, with the 940BW, and was told it wasn't the right one. The manager heard me complain, looked over to the line, realized when I told him I had ASKED the salesassociate, realized that the other was now somewhere behind me in line, and gave me the 940BW for $129.99. :D

Just thought you guys would want to see a real score on Black Friday.

Back