Samsung 940b vs Viewsonic VP930

EviL AnGeL

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
3
I'm looking for my 1st LCD and have narrowed it down to those 2. I know the VP930 is supposed to be an 8-bit panel but has a slower response time than the 940b which is 6-bit. The VP930 would cost me £110/$191 USD more then the 940b.

I surf a lot, use word and paint shop a little bit and game a moderate amount. If it was your money which one would you buy? or do you have any other reccomendations. I don't really want a 17" or 20" though. Thanks in advance.
 
I would still go 8-bit, even if it's for gaming honestly. You might see less ghosting on a faster panel but the loss in color reproduction is a big sacrifice.
 
The VP930b is the better monitor even with the small amount of backlight bleeding. And it isn't an "X" pattern across the entire screen but rather located in just the extreme corners. And with the brightness turned down to a usuable 40-50 range, the bleeding is just barely noticeable. And even at that it's only when you're viewing an all black screen in the dark. What seals the deal on the VP930b is the 1000:1 contrast ratio and visibly deeper blacks over any 6-bit TN panel. It's not the perfect 19" LCD (the Samsung 970P is closer), but for the current price it's going for ($357) it's a great deal.

For strickly gaming I'd say go for the 940B. It's faster but lacks the excellent contrast and 8-bit color depth of the VP930b.
 
ok thanks a lot guys. I was leaning towards the VP930 and that's definately what I'm gunna go for now. I'll post a review when I get it up and running.
 
dark_reign said:
The VP930b is the better monitor even with the small amount of backlight bleeding. And it isn't an "X" pattern across the entire screen but rather located in just the extreme corners. And with the brightness turned down to a usuable 40-50 range, the bleeding is just barely noticeable. And even at that it's only when you're viewing an all black screen in the dark. ...
.

Although it may not be an issue for you, I highly doubt everyone would tolerate it.
I returned mine BECAUSE of the backlight bleeding, just for reference I had brightness set at 40 and Contrast at 50 (where it should optimally be).
The backlight bleesing was apparent in very dark scenarios, and it got significantly worse the more time you used the monitor. The worst one was when I played Oblivion in dark parts of the sewers, the bleeding was so noticeable that it really ruined immersion.
Im sorry but for that much money, it's just not worth it. It's a shame really because in all other aspects it was PERFECT.
 
EviL AnGeL said:
ok thanks a lot guys. I was leaning towards the VP930 and that's definately what I'm gunna go for now. I'll post a review when I get it up and running.
BTW -the best thing to do is go to newegg and read end user reviews, you'll find that anything that has serious issues is mentioned there for sure!
heres for the VP930:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16824116365
have a read B4 you order.
As I said, I just returned mine today and exchanged it for a VX922.
 
Hello!

I bought ViewSonic VP930 a few days ago, after reading Tom Hardware's review(s)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/17/viewsonic_vp930_lcd_monitor/page6.html
"Even if it's not significantly better than the 191b, the VP930 is an excellent monitor, at home in just about any application, that trades a slight gain in black level against a slight loss of latency."

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection/page37.html
"The last 100%-all-around monitor we've seen is the ViewSonic VP930, which we tested in previously. The others are either good at color rendering or are excessively fast.

Our preference still goes to the VP930, for its flexibility of use and advanced ergonomics, especially since the price has come down slightly since the model was introduced."


But after the purchase, when I now have read other reviews, it's seems that ViewSonic VP191(b/s) would have been a lot better, especially in image quality, color accuracy. So I'm a little disappointed :( that I did not bought the older ViewSonic VP191b model that would have been 20 euros cheaper than VP930. Samsung 940B would have been 99 euros cheaper than VP930. Unfortunately both of those offers are now gone. :(


Trusted Reviews only give 7 points out of 10 for VP930's image quality.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2244
"Now, image quality can be a subjective thing, and what one person deems to be good, isn’t necessarily going to please someone else. This is why we use DisplayMate to highlight strengths and weaknesses in monitors. Unfortunately DisplayMate did manage to highlight some shortcomings in the VP930. The Dark Greyscale test proved to be an issue for the VP930 where it failed to bring out the low intensity greys no matter how much adjustment I tried."

"The problems with greyscales became more apparent as I pushed through the tests, with tinges of green and pink clearly visible on the 64 step greyscale test. The 256 level intensity colour ramp test also showed signs of compression at the low intensity end of the scale. The VP930 also struggled on the colour scales test where the drop off at the low intensity end was uneven – if I tried to bring out some extra detail at the low end, the result was compression at the high end."

"VP930 is more expensive than the outgoing VP191s that it replaces, while not exhibiting the same level of image quality. There’s no doubt that the VP930 retains the design, features and build quality of the previous VP series screens, but it’s just a shame that it stumbled in the DisplayMate tests."

"The VP930 is a beautifully designed 19in monitor with more features than you could shake a stick at. The price is high, but you’ll soon forgive that when you see the connection and adjustment options. Unfortunately the image quality is just not up to the high level that ViewSonic set with previous VP displays."



VP191s's image quality on the contrary was very good, 9 points out of 10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1501
"Subjectively the VP191s produces a fine image, and I’ve used it both for standard desktop duties and for editing digital images. The viewing angle is also superb, with no colour shift or wash out in both the horizontal and vertical planes. That said, firing up DisplayMate did highlight a few problems, the most obvious being significant compression at the high intensity end of both the 64 step greyscale test and the colour scales test. However, after a bit of fiddling with the brightness and contrast levels, I managed to completely eradicate this problem and the VP191s sailed through the DisplayMate tests with aplomb."

"The ViewSonic VP191s is a well featured 19in TFT monitor with a response time low enough to keep most gamers happy. Image quality is impressive, once the display is set up correctly, allowing this screen to excel in pretty much all areas. The market is hotting up in this arena, but it’s clear that the VP range can still hold its own against the ever improving competition."



Behardware's only give only 2 points out of 5 for VP930b's color quality.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/602-14/19-lcd-survey-2-3-4-6-8-ms-and-above.html
"If the VP191b release was a great event, the VP930´s was more discreet. Of course it replaces the 191b star monitor but it is expensive, too expensive compared to the Belinea 10 19 20. Color quality also needs to be reviewed."


CNET AU did not praise VP930b's Color quality
http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/0,39029422,40060080,00.htm
"Performance
With all these great features, we hoped for great image quality. Unfortunately, this display delivered merely acceptable performance. Its performance on DVDs and games was average, as was its image quality when displaying basic Web and productivity-application material, but it really stumbled on CNET Labs' DisplayMate-based greyscale and colour tests. Greyscale screens showed so much colour that we could clearly see blocks of bluish grey, blocks of greenish grey, and a distinct swath of pink right before the display dropped off to peak white. Colours took on unusual, unnatural-looking tints. The display's uniformity wasn't great either: fans of light were visible in all four corners of the screen."

"- Poor greyscale and colour performance"




What are your thoughts? Are there big difference between VP930(b)'s and VP191(b/s)'s image quality, color accuracy? :confused:

Why Tom's Hardware give praise to VP930, when other reviews did not? :confused:
 
Toms are usually quite accurate when reviewiing monitors, I can say that after I saw some of the Samsung models he reviewd and agreed with all his observations.
Asking around here I can say two things:
Many consider the VP930 a great monitor, everyone loved vp191 more...
I know for a fact that IBM use them in their labs and that they are highly regarded.
As for me I had other bonbs to pick with the monitor, mainly backlight bleeding issues that I dont consider acceptable at such a high price.
If you don't like it -return it!!!
I wouldn't get stuck wih a monitor I don't approve of , and neither should anyone else.
If color fidelity is your gig, then maybe Eizo monitors will suite you better (albeit reponse times are not very capoable).
Good Luck!!!
 
altcon,

Thanks!


I have also noticed some backlight bleeding in all corners.


I'm considering to change this VP930 to Samsung SyncMaster 970P.'

I have not deciced yet, because I'm wondering 970P's base, it has trouble handling the weight of the display.
 
altacon,

So you returned your VP930.
Did you bought some other monitor?
 
Back
Top