Samsung 931C misinformation?

rocky928

Limp Gawd
The first review for the Samsung 931C gaming LCD has been posted on Newegg, and the reviewer claims the stand doesn't even tilt. I have been wanting this LCD for a while due to the improved color performance and good response rate (2ms) but no tilt would be a disaster.

All of the specs EVERYWHERE say the stand tilts, and one spec goes as far as to say -1 to 280 degrees tilt. Can anyone confirm this??

si0dine said:

I'm talking about the strikingly similar 931C seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001085 (also 97% color gamut) The CX930B must've been renamed the 931C, because they are identical and I can't find the CX930B in stores.

Even newegg's specs specifically state it has tilt, while the reviewer claims it does not.

rocky928 said:
I'm talking about the strikingly similar 19" one seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001085 (also 97% color gamut) The CX930B must've been renamed the 931C, because they are identical and I can't find the CX930B in stores.

Even newegg's specs specifically state it has tilt, while the reviewer claims it does not.

How can that monitor display 97% of the color gamut when its a 6-bit TN panel?

"Display Colors 16.2 Million"

Another new release from samsung:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001086

It's not 97% of all colors, but 97% of the NTSC standard color gamut which they use to compare with other monitors:

ccfl_graph.jpg

rocky928 said:
It's not 97% of all colors, but 97% of the NTSC standard color gamut which they use to compare with other monitors:

ccfl_graph.jpg

Yeah, but its basically saying it can display more shades of colors than previous monitors. But inherently 6-bit panels can't display as many shades as 8-bit panels, so wtf?

I'm wondering if this might be some type of marketing trickery like overdrive and reporting response times from gray to gray..

si0dine said:
Yeah, but its basically saying it can display more shades of colors than previous monitors. But inherently 6-bit panels can't display as many shades as 8-bit panels, so wtf?

I'm wondering if this might be some type of marketing trickery like overdrive and reporting response times from gray to gray..

I want to get an LCD soon, and I decided I wouldn't get stuck on 1600x1200 since I never run that resolution and would likely enjoy 1280x1024 with maxed out settings better anyway, so I am open to any/all information anyone has on this panel. It does state that they will still use dithering, but I really think I just need to see it.

If anyone knows any retail chains carrying this monitor, that would probably answer my questions :)

rocky928 said:
I want to get an LCD soon, and I decided I wouldn't get stuck on 1600x1200 since I never run that resolution and would likely enjoy 1280x1024 with maxed out settings better anyway, so I am open to any/all information anyone has on this panel. It does state that they will still use dithering, but I really think I just need to see it.

If anyone knows any retail chains carrying this monitor, that would probably answer my questions :)

If any retail chain is going to have it, it will be Fry's

I am now trying to decide between the faster 6-bit 931C and the Viewsonic VP930B that may have backlight problems. Same price. Argh.

I think if you are spending about 350 like the first 2 monitors, you can probably get a better display... I want to keep it under 300, and it seems like my options are either: Slight backlight bleeding and a few compression artifacts with the overdrive mode of the 8-bit VP930B panel, or a significantly less adjustable stand, poorer color quality through dithering, smaller viewing angle and less options with the 6-bit TN panel Samsung 931C.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the VP930B. I watch 0 movies on my computer, so backlight bleed on a black screen due to letterbox mode is a non-issue.. and the thought of seeing dithered colors when I occasionally do photoshop work scares me.

travbomb said:
If that is what they are specing that is some bull s*!$.
Well, the 6-bit panels show 16.2 million colors, and the 8-bit panels show 16.7 million colors, right? So where's the bullshit in that?

GilmourD said:
Well, the 6-bit panels show 16.2 million colors, and the 8-bit panels show 16.7 million colors, right? So where's the bullshit in that?

Their claim is that they can display more colors through their improved backlight technology, which means you will be seeing 256K colors dithered to 16.2 million with a better backlight when you could have 16.7 million colors with a standard backlight on an 8-bit panel. I think I will go with the 8-bit..

GilmourD said:

In the sense that it is a very deceptive and shady marketing tactic.

travbomb said:
In the sense that it is a very deceptive and shady marketing tactic.

I don't think so... that's saying conventional monitors display 13.694 million colors, then. They specifically say 97% of the NTSC gamut, not of 8-bit panels or 16.7 million colors.

What is CCFL 97%?
Quite simply, it means colour innovation - the world's first 19" monitor to display colours this close to the vivid reality of the natural world. Our technology uses an improved Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp; upgrading colour reproduction at a groundbreaking 97% colour range. This marks an 18% improvement on the previous best colour reproduction.

CCFL 97%, better for you!
With a range of colours that you've never seen before the 931C blazes away from the cloudy, crowded world of LCD monitors. We've gone beyond the present colour spectrum of 82% and expanded colour to 97%; moving beyond the limits of what was previously possible.

Those 2 Paragraphs contridict themselves too. The first one says that 97% is 18% hihger than the best previous repdoction (=79%). Yet the second paragraph says the standard is 82%? Doesnt make much sense. Also I am pretty sure 72% is the standard for LCD.

All that Aside what i believe this does is it allows you to choose from 97% of the NTSC but since it is 6 bit you can allow display 256K. So essentially I think you may get better coloration if the screen only uses a few colors at a time but if it uses a lot of contrasting colors you will be in the same boat as any 6 bit panel.

travbomb do you any idea when NEC will release a 20-22" monitor that can display colors as accurately as the NEC 26"?

Back